SiouxSports.com Forum

What conference will the other Dakotas be in 2015?

SiouxVolley

Where do the other Dakotas go?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Where will the other Dakotas go?

• Summit League will survive
    • Merge with the Horizon Leauge
    • The MVC will take pity on them and save the MVFC
    • Big Sky will take them in
    • The WAC will add them
    • Somewhere else. (make comments)
    • Independents except football

They don't want to join the BSC because they are pinning their hopes on a SL/HL merge. Either that or NDSU joining the HL, MVC, or the MAC (Lakesbison's dream). Reality is showing that time is running out and with Oakland gone and with their AQ gone in baseball (which could easily have DU moving out of the SL) their strong conference is nothing but denial.

DU doesn't sponsor baseball.....

This from Mplsbison about the SL being in the clock for its basketball AQ status.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?132089-Big-Sky-should-look-toward-NDSU/page8

Re: Big Sky should look toward NDSU

He has misread the requirements.

It just says that the conference has to sponsor two men's sports other than football to be considered a multisport conference, not that their champion has to be receiving an NCAA autobid in those sports.

Furthermore, the entire section he quoted is in regards to sports other than men's basketball. It has no bearing whatsoever on men's basketball.

The Summit will continue sponsoring baseball and men's soccer as men's team sports other than football, even if Oakland leaves. That meets the requirement of a multisports conference, regardless - although I have no idea to what particular benefit being a multisport conference grants.

This from Mplsbison about the SL being in the clock for its basketball AQ status.

http://www.anygivens...ward-NDSU/page8

Re: Big Sky should look toward NDSU

He has misread the requirements.

It just says that the conference has to sponsor two men's sports other than football to be considered a multisport conference, not that their champion has to be receiving an NCAA autobid in those sports.

Furthermore, the entire section he quoted is in regards to sports other than men's basketball. It has no bearing whatsoever on men's basketball.

The Summit will continue sponsoring baseball and men's soccer as men's team sports other than football, even if Oakland leaves. That meets the requirement of a multisports conference, regardless - although I have no idea to what particular benefit being a multisport conference grants.

This MplsBison guy just isn't too bright or horribly misinformed. A men's basketball autobid is contingent on meeting the requirements of the multisports conference requirement. So his statement that "it has no bearing whatsoever on men's basketball" is utterly false. By NCAA rules, a conference is only sponsoring a sport if six teams are in it, with some of those schools as affiliate teams from outside the league in sports other than basketball..

Their seem to be very few NDSU or SDSU fans that truly recognize how much the Summit League is in a bind. FargoBison may be the exception here.

Taylor or Bresciani will have to tell those poor souls, as they refuse to read for themselves and certainly won't listen to Whioux fans.

I would actually rather see UND and UNC join the Summit and the MVFC. Our addition would help stabilize the Summit. It's much better geographically for travel and recruiting.

The Summit option would have been great 3 years ago. I personally don't see the geography advantage. As it stands now, we play most of the regional Summit teams in non-conference anyways. Played FU, SDSU, and UNO all on the road in basketball last year, so that should have satisfied one's desire to make a short road-trip to see the Sioux away from Grand Forks.

As far as recruiting, Big Sky membership gives North Dakota access to fertile recruiting grounds in Arizona, Colorado, and California. I'll take that over rural Illinois and Indiana any day..................

Selfishly I would be able to travel to away games again. The BSC schools are just too far away. I would also like to see our old rivalries renewed with the other Dakota schools and UNO. Although playing the Montana schools has been great we could still play them OOC.

You can still travel to away games. We played UNO, SDSU, and FU all on the road last year. My guess is that all those schools will be a staple of the non-conference schedule. In time USD probably will be as well.

• Upvote 2

What a difference a couple of years makes. It wasn't that long ago when UND was in search of a conference and had difficulty filling out a football schedule. Now I read some of the Summit boards and some are saying they really need UND (for baseball at the very least), some saying they don't need anybody and that every thing is fine (head in the sand) and still another who says UND can be called up whenever Douple feels like it.

When UND was added to the WAC, some on the WAC board questioned why they would take UND. A couple of guys, supposedly in the know, said that it was a strategic move against the Summit. So where the Summit failed, the WAC moved in.

UND has presently has a place for all of its teams. It took a lot of work to put that together over the past few years. I don't think Faison/Kelley will simply come running to the Summit because Douple makes a phone call, especially after Douple had the opportunity last year and blew it.

Reading over what Fullerton had to say in Tom Miller's piece over the weekend, I like where UND has positioned itself with the Big Sky....

4. Is the Big Sky destined for an FBS future?

If a three-tier system doesn’t formulate and teams in the Big Sky Conference aren’t happy with their peers in FCS, a future in the FBS isn’t as far-fetched as it might first seem.

The Big Sky does possess some programs with an FBS appearance.

“With UND, Montana, Montana State – we look more like an FBS league,” Fullerton said.

... http://www.grandfork...icle/id/262923/

What a difference a couple of years makes. It wasn't that long ago when UND was in search of a conference and had difficulty filling out a football schedule. Now I read some of the Summit boards and some are saying they really need UND (for baseball at the very least), some saying they don't need anybody and that every thing is fine (head in the sand) and still another who says UND can be called up whenever Douple feels like it.

When UND was added to the WAC, some on the WAC board questioned why they would take UND. A couple of guys, supposedly in the know, said that it was a strategic move against the Summit. So where the Summit failed, the WAC moved in.

UND has presently has a place for all of its teams. It took a lot of work to put that together over the past few years. I don't think Faison/Kelley will simply come running to the Summit because Douple makes a phone call, especially after Douple had the opportunity last year and blew it.

Reading over what Fullerton had to say in Tom Miller's piece over the weekend, I like where UND has positioned itself with the Big Sky....

... http://www.grandfork...icle/id/262923/

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?12850-Oakland-exit/page2

Zooropa:

UND can be slotted into the Summit for baseball whenever the Summit sees fit to offer. I can't imagine there's any kind of steep buyout for an auxiliary member of the 72nd best conference in college athletics.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Gotta love this Bison fan!!!!

http://sdsufans.com/...land-exit/page2

Zooropa:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Gotta love this Bison fan!!!!

He's an SDSU fan. Though criticizing UND with this comment after Douple's action's with UND baseball are pretty rich. While not exactly the same, Douple is employed at the will of multiple public institutions, so it is close enough.

If that's their attitude then they have absolutely no business administering a public institution. If they would refuse to act in the best interests of their employers in order to avoid benefiting someone they don't like, then they are unfit for the responsibilities they have.

He's an SDSU fan. Though criticizing UND with this comment after Douple's action's with UND baseball are pretty rich. While not exactly the same, Douple is employed at the will of multiple public institutions, so it is close enough.

His anti UND comments are all over the SL thread on BV so I thought he was a Bison fan. But to say UND will run to the SL at a snap of the finger from Douple is so funny, I think Faison would be on the floor laughing.

The Summit offers UND no form of stability. The risk of UND leaving the Big Sky for the Summit, only to have a couple more members bolt for a new conference is to great. The strength of the Big Sky is the numbers and geography, it can afford to lose a member or two but I don't know where they will go.

I see it as the Summit will always be waiting for UND if it needs it. The history of that league has given no reason to believe they will not always be looking for members.

His anti UND comments are all over the SL thread on BV so I thought he was a Bison fan. But to say UND will run to the SL at a snap of the finger from Douple is so funny, I think Faison would be on the floor laughing.

Yeah their delusions are laughable at this point.

Not too long ago all of these clowns were having a ball watching us struggle with our nickname issue that then spilled over to conference affiliation. So at this point all I am going to say is that I have my popcorn ready!

• Upvote 1

Yeah their delusions are laughable at this point.

Not too long ago all of these clowns were having a ball watching us struggle with our nickname issue that then spilled over to conference affiliation. So at this point all I am going to say is that I have my popcorn ready!

Pass the salt!! :)

• Upvote 1

How soon until we start reading how UND needs su in the Big Sky. I'm guessing that all the Big Sky concerns we heard about travel costs, time zones, losing midwest recruits, will all go out the window in a little while.

Oh yah we'll also hear "How times have changed since they were rejected twice by the Big Sky" Karma is a great thing. Didn't it come out that su officials were a major opponent to UND getting into the Summit? Probably no pay back there as UND has more integrity than that.

Thank you UND for waiting and "picking" the Big Sky instead of rushing and settling for the Summit.

• Upvote 1

Karma is a great thing. Didn't it come out that su officials were a major opponent to UND getting into the Summit? Probably no pay back there as UND has more integrity than that.

I'm pretty sure that was just an unsubstantiated rumor.

I had heard the opposite - that NDSU wanted to get UND into the Summit. I very highly doubt they would try to keep UND out.

I had heard that also. Apparently Bresciani and Douple don't see eye to eye on some things anyways as Bresciani gave Douple poor marks on his performance review.

I had heard the opposite - that NDSU wanted to get UND into the Summit. I very highly doubt they would try to keep UND out.

Maybe so back then but they sure didn't go out of their way to get UND's baseball team in the Summit this past year.

The MVFC may be an entirely different story. There's no evidence that NDSU pushed for UND to get in that conference, especially with the way Taylor has wanted to avoid scheduling UND in football for years.

If the Big Sky story about going FBS is true, that may be the only open door that NDSU and Taylor will ever get to FBS.

Think Taylor and Bresciani could have very different views of their athletic relationship with UND and also of Douple.

That zooropa is really something: wanting the heads of Faison and Kelley because UND won't move baseball to the Summit and save SDSU's posterior:

If that's their attitude then they have absolutely no business administering a public institution. If they would refuse to act in the best interests of their employers in order to avoid benefiting someone they don't like, then they are unfit for the responsibilities they have.

How soon until we start reading how UND needs su in the Big Sky. I'm guessing that all the Big Sky concerns we heard about travel costs, time zones, losing midwest recruits, will all go out the window in a little while.

Oh yah we'll also hear "How times have changed since they were rejected twice by the Big Sky" Karma is a great thing. Didn't it come out that su officials were a major opponent to UND getting into the Summit? Probably no pay back there as UND has more integrity than that.

Thank you UND for waiting and "picking" the Big Sky instead of rushing and settling for the Summit.

Travel costs have changed because when NDSU wanted into the Big Sky it wasn't an issue, admit UNC and later Cal Poly, UC Davis, SUU and UND and now it's always a negative. They want a bus league except that wasn't the case almost a decade ago. Their hatred towards the BSC is jealousy that UND got in on the first try while NDSU went 0-2 trying to get accepted.

That zooropa is really something: wanting the heads of Faison and Kelley because UND won't move baseball to the Summit and save SDSU's posterior:

Someone needs to check to see if his IP is coming from the SDSU Alumni Association. :whistling::lol:

Official announcement on Oakland..... http://www.horizonle...ue-in-july.html

What's really bad for the Summit is that Oakland joins the Horizon this coming July. That puts the Summit's basketball bid on the clock because baseball will be down to 4. If Oakland had waited until the Summer of 2014, it would have given the Summit a bit more breathing room.

Wonder if any official at NDSU or SDSU are even going to acknowledge how bad this could be. Would be surprised if Douple has any kind of plan except to retire.

http://www.arguslead...?nclick_check=1

Doesn't appear there is any short term plan to add fully Di members and get back to eight members, as Douple himself is stating there will only be seven teams at the conference tournament. Wow. Just Wow.

It will be down to just seven tournament-eligible teams in basketball for 2013-14, meaning changes to the conference tourney hosted by Sioux Falls:

The No. 1 seeds in the men's and women's brackets will get first-round byes meaning there will be only two Saturday games instead of four, commissioner Tom Douple said.

There goes down the drain the idea perpetuated by these bison and jack fans that Douple had a plan.

If Fullerton has a plan for FBS, why wouldn't NDSU take that. NDSU isn't getting any interest from any other FBS league, as Kolpack would have been all over that story if there was just a sliver of a chance. Imagine if UND was FBS and NDSU wasn't?