SiouxSports.com Forum

What conference will the other Dakotas be in 2015?

SiouxVolley

Where do the other Dakotas go?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Where will the other Dakotas go?

• Summit League will survive
    • Merge with the Horizon Leauge
    • The MVC will take pity on them and save the MVFC
    • Big Sky will take them in
    • The WAC will add them
    • Somewhere else. (make comments)
    • Independents except football

I would think Saint Cloud would be the best contender of the bunch you listed off. They have a decent sized student body, decent (not stellar) academics, and a desirable media market. Would be a good road trip for Bison fans.

UM-Duluth is part of the "better" university system in Minnesota, but the real University of Minnesota (Twin Cities) may not let them move up.

If they do- I'm sure they will be a Summit League candidate. :lol: As that seems to be along the lines that the XDSU's fan bases are at right now. What about Duluth? Or how bout Mankato or St. Cloud or Augie? I thought the company line for many years of those fanbase's has been that "we are too big of deals to deal with those "type" of schools". Now it's ok to pursue those schools, they weren't good enough but now they are? I can't keep up, as it seems the argument from a certain side keeps changing.

UND needs a travel partner. I'm sure they'd go Big Sky ;)

St. Cloud, Mankato and Duluth definitely sound a little more like the type of team that would fit into the Summit. They have plenty of vacancies in the Summit. That is for sure.

None of these three are interested, they don't have the money, they don't have the state support. St. Cloud State was a few hundred student votes short of dropping football less than a year ago.

Interesting article by Kolpack in the Forum today. I believe that two of his main points were the MVFC is better than Big Sky (top to bottom) and being in a big conference is bad, there is too much competition for the autobid. Seems a little contradictory that he argues that NDSU likes the MVFC because the conference in stronger and competition is better and then follow that up with the argument that they are better off in a smaller league (Summit) because there is less competition for the autobid.

Also, I believe he has his facts wrong on maintaining the basketball autobid though (SiouxVolley?). He said it takes six schools to maintain that autobid (among other requirements). I believe the six school rule is for sports other than basketball. For basketball, seven sponsoring schools are required. Might not seem like a big deal, but when your conference is flirting with that line, it kind of matters.

Kolpack indeed is wrong on several points: seven fully DI schools are needed for the Summit to maintain recognition as a multisport conference (the Summit is at seven right now as Omaha doesn't count for until the fall of 2015) and six teams are needed in two men's sports. The Summit is at four right now in baseball, not five as Kolpack states because Omaha doesn't count.

If one more team leaves the Summit (other than Omaha) without a raid on another conference or unless the last independent, NJIT, joins, the Summit will be dead.

Kolpack indeed is wrong on several points: seven fully DI schools are needed for the Summit to maintain recognition as a multisport conference (the Summit is at seven right now as Omaha doesn't count for until the fall of 2015) and six teams are needed in two men's sports. The Summit is at four right now in baseball, not five as Kolpack states because Omaha doesn't count.

If one more team leaves the Summit (other than Omaha) without a raid on another conference or unless the last independent, NJIT, joins, the Summit will be dead.

Are they losing UMKC, Oral Roberts, and Oakland in Men's Soccer too or did any of them stay on as affiliates?

Are they losing UMKC, Oral Roberts, and Oakland in Men's Soccer too or did any of them stay on as affiliates?

Oral Roberts is the only school that left an affiliate: men's soccer, as the Southland doesn't offer it. The Summit also has Eastern Illinois' men's soccer, as the OVC doesn't have that.

Well none of that would have sounded good in the article he wrote.

Oral Roberts is the only school that left an affiliate: men's soccer, as the Southland doesn't offer it. The Summit also has Eastern Illinois' men's soccer, as the OVC doesn't have that.

Then don't they have (1) Western Illinois, (2) IUPFW, (3) IUPUI, (4) Oral Bob, (5) Eastern Illinois, soon to be (6) UNO, and soon to be (7) Denver for Men's Soccer? Denver is joining just as Oakland leaves. Or does it have to be basketball and baseball? I'm not well-versed in this area.

Then don't they have (1) Western Illinois, (2) IUPFW, (3) IUPUI, (4) Oral Bob, (5) Eastern Illinois, soon to be (6) UNO, and soon to be (7) Denver for Men's Soccer? Denver is joining just as Oakland leaves. Or does it have to be basketball and baseball? I'm not well-versed in this area.

I believe that they need at least 6 members in 2 men's team sports besides basketball.

A conference always has to offer men 's basketball wifth at least seven. If it offers FCS football with at least six members, then it does not have to offer any other men's team sport.

But if no football is offerred, two other men's team sports must be offered with six members. The sports can even be hockey, volleyball, water polo, lacrosse etc. The Summit chose baseball and men's soccer that it must offer with six members, otherwise it forfeits its men' basketball autobid after a grace period as well as the autobid in the men's sport short of members.

The Big Sky always satisfies the requirement because of football. If the Summit can get two more football members, the baseball situation becomes irrelevant.

Wow - sounds like a moral victory speech - "who cares how you get there", "It's better to take the easy road". Those same trolls who talk about there only being 59 schools with Division 1 Hockey are talking out of both sides of their mouth if they prefer being in a six team basketball conference because it makes it easier to get beat in the first round of the NCAA tournament more often.
  • Upvote 2

Wow - sounds like a moral victory speech - "who cares how you get there", "It's better to take the easy road". Those same trolls who talk about there only being 59 schools with Division 1 Hockey are talking out of both sides of their mouth if they prefer being in a six team basketball conference because it makes it easier to get beat in the first round of the NCAA tournament more often.

For a team that has only made it to the dance once since joining the league in the fall of 2008 and since that conference has gotten smaller and smaller since March 09, they do an awful lot of talking but maybe they should show it more on the court. So a smaller conference with weaker teams (USD, UMKC) I would have expected a lot more dance appearances. Now before the Bison fans invade..no UND fans have talked so cocky about going to the dance like FU fans. We know we have a lot of teams to go through and even play the tournament on someone else's home court so why should we blab our mouth about how easy a trip to the dance is.

For a team that has only made it to the dance once since joining the league in the fall of 2008 and since that conference has gotten smaller and smaller since March 09, they do an awful lot of talking but maybe they should show it more on the court. So a smaller conference with weaker teams (USD, UMKC) I would have expected a lot more dance appearances. Now before the Bison fans invade..no UND fans have talked so cocky about going to the dance like FU fans. We know we have a lot of teams to go through and even play the tournament on someone else's home court so why should we blab our mouth about how easy a trip to the dance is.

So what was your record against USD and UMKC? This has to be the worst year in UND athletics I can ever remember. Why don't you reflex on that awhile.

So what was your record against USD and UMKC? This has to be the worst year in UND athletics I can ever remember. Why don't you reflex on that awhile.

Really Dan? Mens Basketball was devastated by injuries for the first half of the season but managed to finish third. Volleyball had a decent year. Both Hockey teams were in the NCAA tournament. Baseball is over 20 wins for the first time in their D1 era. Football had a poor season in their first year of Big Sky play, very much like your bison in their first year of MVFC play.

Women's Basketball was terrible so I will give you that, and Tennis I suppose but nobody really cares about that anyway.

The fact is you are completely wrong and your hatred for UND makes you completely delusional.

You seem to be reflecting on it enough for everyone. Glad you are so interested in UND athletics.
  • Upvote 1

A conference always has to offer men 's basketball wifth at least seven. If it offers FCS football with at least six members, then it does not have to offer any other men's team sport.

But if no football is offerred, two other men's team sports must be offered with six members. The sports can even be hockey, volleyball, water polo, lacrosse etc. The Summit chose baseball and men's soccer that it must offer with six members, otherwise it forfeits its men' basketball autobid after a grace period as well as the autobid in the men's sport short of members.

Apparently Bville isn't aware of the requirements for a D1 conference either.

From Zooropa (who actually appears to be an sdsu nut):

I mean the absolute worst case scenario for Summit baseball is that the conference stops sponsoring the sport, and the eastern schools join the Horizon as affiliates and NDSU and SDSU either join the WAC or form a new baseball only conference.

Really Dan? Mens Basketball was devastated by injuries for the first half of the season but managed to finish third. Volleyball had a decent year. Both Hockey teams were in the NCAA tournament. Baseball is over 20 wins for the first time in their D1 era. Football had a poor season in their first year of Big Sky play, very much like your bison in their first year of MVFC play.

Women's Basketball was terrible so I will give you that, and Tennis I suppose but nobody really cares about that anyway.

The fact is you are completely wrong and your hatred for UND makes you completely delusional.

Don't bother with an explanation like that. Only idiots take performance results from a given year and make sweeping conclusions re: an entire conference. Memories for AC fans are short.

What I said is a fact - worst year ever. It doesn't matter how I feel - look it up. When's the last time you guys never had a conference champ? Your "other" sports all are coming up last or next to it in the conference(s).

What I said is a fact - worst year ever. It doesn't matter how I feel - look it up. When's the last time you guys never had a conference champ? Your "other" sports all are coming up last or next to it in the conference(s).

What's your point? These "other" sports weren't any good before we made the transition. Now that they are in the Big Sky it is only going to get harder.

I'm beginning to think Douple will have little choice but to invite NJIT. The Great West will pretty much be gone after this year with Chicago State, Utah Valley and UTPA all going to the WAC. I don't believe NJIT has been invited anywhere else yet and they are a baseball playing school.