SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

I agree with your points except on the season record issue. Until Hak puts together consecutive losing seasons, the comparison isn't 100% accurate.

But Woog was getting ripped by Sioux fans for failing to win the big one promptly after the '97 championship before he had his losing seasons.

I'd be happy to do it, but what do you mean exactly? Does Hakstol get no credit/blame for his first three seasons (2004-07) since some of those players were Blais recuits/players? As soon as you tell me where the line is, I'll get the stats for you.

Dave

No credit or blame for his first two seasons please.

I didn't say anything about letting Hak go. I just pointed out that we can talk about all of Hak's positives like win percentage, Frozen Four appearances, and all of that. But we used to ridicule MN when Woog was their coach and was getting similar results because it never ended up in an NCAA championship. It just seems like there is some inconsistency when we overlook the same thing here that we ripped on them about.

Those last two Woog teams had a ton of talent, but played like they didn't care. Remember watching a series one of those years vs. SCSU, the gophers showed no interest whatsoever in playing the game, and got run over by a much less talented team. And they continued that type of play for the last two Woog years. If/when Hak has those type of years, I'll agree with the comparison, until then, the comparison falls short of accurate.

But Woog was getting ripped by Sioux fans for failing to win the big one promptly after the '97 championship before he had his losing seasons.

gophers are always ripped by Sioux fans, and vice versa, coaches and players-wouldn't expect that to change.

I think the key emphasis of Sica's post is STYLE, not the physical rink. The NHL style doesn't seem to fit in the college game.

By NHL style does that mean no skill and creativity on the puck and a dump at all costs mentality? I'm no great hockey mind but I don't see the horses on UND to be a great cycle team. A few years ago we could both kill people with the cycle and skill. This year it looks the like players that aren't Cagjewels and Gemaldees and Johnson are scared of the puck. And when those scared players try and get creative it's the same move that never works every time.

• Upvote 1

I've made dozens of trips to Grand Forks, Minneapolis, Duluth, St Cloud and Mankato over the past 20 years.

Every WCHA Final Five ever held at the X along with several at Target Center and the old St Paul Civic Center? Check. The 1998 western regional at Yost? Check. The 2006 western regional in Grand Forks? Check. 1997 Frozen Four? Check.

And you want me to justify my fan-hood to YOU?

Why not? You are doing it to others that is the only reason I brought it up. Every Final Five in the cities are a short drive for you, does not count. Yost a little drive but nothing special. One trip to GF? Bradley Center another short drive. Were you at the playoffs in St. Paul in the late 80's? What about say Detroit in 87? Why not make the drive to GF for home games?

Why not make the drive to GF for home games?

Did you miss mafia's first sentence? Maybe you just want to claim he hasn't been to every game the Sioux have ever played, including those before he was born. I'm sure you've been to all of them.

Why not? You are doing it to others that is the only reason I brought it up. Every Final Five in the cities are a short drive for you, does not count. Yost a little drive but nothing special. One trip to GF? Bradley Center another short drive. Were you at the playoffs in St. Paul in the late 80's? What about say Detroit in 87? Why not make the drive to GF for home games?

Please show me where I have accused others of being less of a fan than me. Please. I'd love to see the comment(s).

Who said I only made one trip to Grand Forks? I had season tickets until about 2004 or 2005 when my own kid got into hockey and baseball. Sorry, smokey, I love hockey but getting to games every week is no longer priority number one. But, again, why am I busy justifying myself to someone living a life of champagne wishes and caviar dreams in sunny Arizona?

Not really that hard. You work your shifts. Stay in company housing. Then go home for your days off to spend with your family. Get it now? Why does the Williston airport and the Minot airport have more seats going in and out everyday than GF? Guys going home because they can afford to on their days off.

Well....as he has stated many times he is REA ticket holder also! So genius if you work in western ND but come back to GF on your days off and come to GF for all Sioux home games, how much money are you really making than? You see he got into a who makes more money thing to one of my comments. So when my question isn't addressed to YOU how about you never mind? You got it now?

Please show me where I have accused others of being less of a fan than me. Please. I'd live to see the comment(s).

Who said I only made one trip to Grand Forks? I had season tickets until about 2004 or 2005 when my own kid got into hockey and baseball. Sorry, smokey, I love hockey but getting to games every week is no longer priority number one. But, again, why am I busy justifying myself to someone living a life of champagne wishes and caviar dreams in sunny Arizona?

You have been treating others who do not think as you do that way. I now that you are a huge fan. Others have an opinion that is just as valid as your's is.

Well....as he has stated many times he is REA ticket holder also! So genius if you work in western ND but come back to GF on your days off and come to GF for all Sioux home games, how much money are you really making than? You see he got into a who makes more money thing to one of my comments. So when my question isn't addressed to YOU how about you never mind? You got it now?

This is while you address a comment not directed towards you?HHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have been treating others who do not think as you do that way. I now that you are a huge fan. Others have an opinion that is just as valid as your's is.

So says the guy who tosses in some anti-Republican comments when he feels the need...

Don't forget sunscreen today!

By NHL style does that mean no skill and creativity on the puck and a dump at all costs mentality? I'm no great hockey mind but I don't see the horses on UND to be a great cycle team. A few years ago we could both kill people with the cycle and skill. This year it looks the like players that aren't Cagjewels and Gemaldees and Johnson are scared of the puck. And when those scared players try and get creative it's the same move that never works every time.

I agree with what you say here...I was just pointing out how I interpreted the statement.

Those last two Woog teams had a ton of talent, but played like they didn't care. Remember watching a series one of those years vs. SCSU, the gophers showed no interest whatsoever in playing the game, and got run over by a much less talented team. And they continued that type of play for the last two Woog years. If/when Hak has those type of years, I'll agree with the comparison, until then, the comparison falls short of accurate.

Woog was getting those critical remarks from us long before those last two years though. If your argument is he only heard those comments from us in those last two seasons, you are not being honest. That was always the punch line about Woog even before the last two seasons he had. It was always he can't win the big one.

• Upvote 1

No credit or blame for his first two seasons please.

So then Hakstol's line would read like this:

By contrast, UND head coach Dave Hakstol, now in his eighth season coaching on his own (after being in a two year shadow of former coach Dean Blais' players and recruits), already has 185 wins to his credit (185-94-28, .648). In each of his previous seven "solo" campaigns, Hakstol has won at least 20 games and brought UND to the NCAA tournament. He boasts two MacNaughton Cups (WCHA regular season title), three Broadmoor trophies (WCHA playoff title), and three Frozen Four appearances.

Dave

Woog was getting those critical remarks from us long before those last two years though. If your argument is he only heard those comments from us in those last two seasons, you are not being honest. That was always the punch line about Woog even before the last two seasons he had. It was always he can't win the big one.

From us, yes, I'll agree, but I don't think he'd have actually lost his job without the last two. While I hope we can't help fire our own coaches on this forum, I hope we haven't helped fire others as well.

The limited number of Gopher fans in the X when MN was absent for two years in a row recently were all over the "fire Lucia" comments. That was them, not us.Had one older drunk fan approach me and kid leaving the arena following the Sioux's win in the championship game, who, with no better barb to come up with at the time, said to us, "next year, Blais will be here coaching the gophers". Guess that was supposed to make us mad?

The primary reason Sioux fans were so tough on Woog from '88 to '96 was because the ONLY joy to be had by us was in watching his Gophers fail...UND's season in most of those years was over long before Minnesota's was.

The primary reason Sioux fans were so tough on Woog from '88 to '96 was because the ONLY joy to be had by us was in watching his Gophers fail...UND's season in most of those years was over long before Minnesota's was.

Those were some lean years no doubt.