SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

A thirteen year track record belonging to Coach C...

30-11-1

21-15-2

21-13-2

31-12-2

24-16-2

24-16-1

21-20-1

22-18-1

28-13-4

24-17-2

17-21-1

12-25-1

11-23-4

0 NCAA titles, 1 title game appearance, 2 Frozen Fours.

Where along this line do you can Coach C?

Where are these guys coaching? It matters. But looking just at the records, coach a is safe, coach b was on the hot seat after going 14-21 but was able to recover and is safe, coach c is on the hot seat right now. For the record I'm not on the fire Hak bandwagon, although I don't blame anybody for criticizing him for his failures and style. I'm guessing there's a lesson to be learned from these coaches' records?

You're killing us with the suspense,Mafia!

I'd like to see gfhockey and smokey the cat get a good look at those numbers before giving you the answer to the above questions.

Here's some more food for thought, though...

Q) What are 11-22-2, 18-19-2, 12-17-9, 13-26-1, 11-23-4, 7-28-4, and 24-15-4?

The eleven year record of Coach A in order of first year to eleventh year...

13-26-1

12-26-0

14-25-1

22-19-0

22-15-4

24-12-6

34-10-3

32-9-3

30-7-3

33-7-1

30-8-1

0 NCAA titles, 0 title game appearances, 3 Frozen Fours.

Question: Would you fire Coach A?

A was an easy one. This is Coach Red Berenson's record at Michigan prior to winning his first NCAA title in 1996.

Not the most rigorous analysis of a coach- simply looking at historical record. Way too many other variables at play.

If you can them a year before they win a natty it proves nothing. In economics it's called post hoc ergo proctor hoc- a common flaw in logic- meaning after this therefore because of this. Nobody can prove what would've happened if the coach was replaced. The team might still have won.

Not the most rigorous analysis of a coach- simply looking at historical record. Way too many other variables at play.

If you can them a year before they win a natty it proves nothing. In economics it's called post hoc ergo proctor hoc- a common flaw in logic- meaning after this therefore because of this. Nobody can prove what would've happened if the coach was replaced. The team might still have won.

I didn't say it was the only variable. It's one. And since fans want to fire Hakstol based on one thing - the lack of a national championship - I would like them to take a look at some other coaching records first.

A thirteen year track record belonging to Coach C...

30-11-1

21-15-2

21-13-2

31-12-2

24-16-2

24-16-1

21-20-1

22-18-1

28-13-4

24-17-2

17-21-1

12-25-1

11-23-4

0 NCAA titles, 1 title game appearance, 2 Frozen Fours.

Another gimme. Coach C is Gino Gasparini and his season-by-season record in years in which he did NOT win the NCAA title.

But it's fair to call this season lost and to fire a coach by folks on this board 11 games in?

I didn't say it was the only variable. It's one. And since fans want to fire Hakstol based on one thing - the lack of a national championship - I would like them to take a look at some other coaching records first.

I don't think most frustrated posters want to fire Hak - a better title for this thread is "I wish Hak would stop being so stubborn and open things up" or "I wish Hak would go away from the chip, dump, chase, and cycle".

• Upvote 3

A sixteen year coaching record of Coach B, again, in order of first to last...

21-7-2

11-17

14-15

14-11-3

18-11-1

28-11-1

24-14-4

25-14-4

19-15-3

14-17-3

14-21-1

25-17-2

28-11-2

23-8-4

29-9-2

34-7-0

0 NCAA titles, 2 title game appearances, 4 Frozen Fours.

Coach B is Jack Parker and his year-by-year record AFTER winning his first NCAA title and BEFORE winning his second.

Also of note, it took Coach Parker another fourteen years to win a THIRD title and season records in that fourteen year stretch included:

14-20-3 (twice)

12-17-9

19-17-4

I don't think most frustrated posters want to fire Hak - a better title for this thread is "I wish Hak would stop being so stubborn and open things up" or "I wish Hak would go away from the chip, dump, chase, and cycle".

And on that, I think gfhockey, smokey the cat, fightingsioux4life, and I could agree...

• Upvote 1

It's fair to say that the on-ice product this year is not up to standards, and most of us are unconvinced that this year's version can turn it around...

They are playing hockey so poorly that it has to be a mix of coaching strategy and player execution. Both are on the head coach to fix.

We have a program and facility that almost any coach would kill to drive. That means we have options, and the guy in charge is in the hot seat.

By style I mean methodology.

UND is playing a tight system in all zones. What I saw of SCSU and UMD they are focusing on defense and breakouts but are much more free-form on the offensive end.

UND's style is more like how NHL teams do it. But I'm not sure that works against the wide-open approach many are using in the college game.

A seven year (in order, albeit not consecutive) look into the record of Coach D:

7-28-4

13-24-3

15-17-6

11-25-4

13-21-5

13-17-6

14-19-5

Coach D is none other than Scott Sandelin and his losing record in 7 of his 13 years at UMD. Two years removed from winning a national title, UMD drops back down below .500 with that 14-19-5 mark. Are you still telling me that this 13 year tenure including these 7 seasons would be acceptable in Grand Forks as long as there was a national title thrown in there? A 14 win season? 13 three times? 11? 7? Yikes. While I think that you would indeed trade the past 13 years for that one national title, I do believe the only difference today on SiouxSports.com would be that this thread would be called "Time to Fire Scott Sandelin" due to his inability to keep UND near the top of the food chain year in and year out.