SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

No, your point was that two of those three coaches had won national titles with the third coach having made a title game appearance and that statement was completely wrong.

Besides, had UND beaten Yale to advance to the Frozen Four and then promptly lost to UMass-Lowell in the semi-finals, people here wouldn't be any less happy on this board than they are today. Hell, if UND had lost last year's national championship game, the firestorm would be even worse today.

Read the post above it. I agree that I made a mistake in the post...and get over yourself...

• Upvote 2

How can you be a "gf resident" if you're an "oil guy roughneck" ???

I have to say even though Mafia is getting pounced on for his defense of Hak and this team, I couldn't agree more with him.

Not really that hard. You work your shifts. Stay in company housing. Then go home for your days off to spend with your family. Get it now? Why does the Williston airport and the Minot airport have more seats going in and out everyday than GF? Guys going home because they can afford to on their days off.

Money doesn't always buy success, gfhockey. Walking on granite floors inside REA doesn't automatically mean better hockey players.

But it sure helps. Many people on here (I believe you are included), believe PSU is on the fast track to becoming a respectable program. Why is that? Resources? While having the best facilities and resources doesn't guarantee a successful program, it sure makes it easier to succeed. Unfortunately, it also comes with higher expectations and fewer "excuses" for not living up to those expectations - whether they are fair or not.

I can't decide if the struggles of this team are due to systems or personnel. Regardless, the head coach is responsible for both and is not above criticism. I do believe he should be afforded the opportunity to get the ship headed in the right direction again.

• Upvote 4

You know if you were such a great fan you really should have season tickets and make the drive to GF every game. I have friends who drive in from Bismarck for all the games.

I've made dozens of trips to Grand Forks, Minneapolis, Duluth, St Cloud and Mankato over the past 20 years.

Every WCHA Final Five ever held at the X along with several at Target Center and the old St Paul Civic Center? Check. The 1998 western regional at Yost? Check. The 2006 western regional in Grand Forks? Check. 1997 Frozen Four? Check.

And you want me to justify my fan-hood to YOU?

I have played hockey for 24 years and have followed almost every level religiously…..what does your comment even mean???

I think the key emphasis of Sica's post is STYLE, not the physical rink. The NHL style doesn't seem to fit in the college game.

Dave Hakstol is the only active head coach in Division I to have a winning record every year that he’s coached. He’s made the NCAA tourney ever year that he’s coached. His only crime is that his teams have never won an NCAA title.

Yet this is the reason we all laughed at Woog and the Gophers for so many years. They had great teams under him and all it got him was the he can't win the big one label. The way it is going here, Hak is our version of that.

One could argue that North Dakota should have more success than Minnesota-Duluth, due to tradition/facilities/etc., but it is an interesting discussion.

Dave

I don't think there is any argument to be made. We should be having much more success here. Up until a few years ago, Sandy had to lead a program that played games in the run down DECC.

Yet this is the reason we all laughed at Woog and the Gophers for so many years. They had great teams under him and all it got him was the he can't win the big one label. The way it is going here, Hak is our version of that.

17-22 and 15-19-9. Doug Woog's last two season records. That's why he was let go.

Hak to woog comparison can't be made until Haks cheeks and nose start showing schnapps induced redness and slurred post game rants.

Dave, Could you break it down taking out what Dean had left Hak. Then compare the two.

I'd be happy to do it, but what do you mean exactly? Does Hakstol get no credit/blame for his first three seasons (2004-07) since some of those players were Blais recuits/players? As soon as you tell me where the line is, I'll get the stats for you.

Dave

17-22 and 15-19-9. Doug Woog's last two season records. That's why he was let go.

I didn't say anything about letting Hak go. I just pointed out that we can talk about all of Hak's positives like win percentage, Frozen Four appearances, and all of that. But we used to ridicule MN when Woog was their coach and was getting similar results because it never ended up in an NCAA championship. It just seems like there is some inconsistency when we overlook the same thing here that we ripped on them about.

• Upvote 2

I didn't say anything about letting Hak go. I just pointed out that we can talk about all of Hak's positives like win percentage, Frozen Four appearances, and all of that. But we used to ridicule MN when Woog was their coach and was getting similar results because it never ended up in an NCAA championship. It just seems like there is some inconsistency when we overlook the same thing here that we ripped on them about.

I agree with your points except on the season record issue. Until Hak puts together consecutive losing seasons, the comparison isn't 100% accurate.

I agree with your points except on the season record issue. Until Hak puts together consecutive losing seasons, the comparison isn't 100% accurate.

let's not forget and you brought it up earlier that 01-02 season. that was under BLAIS and that was probably the worst season in this program's last 20 years and on the same sublect of Blais shouldn't he be criticized and raked over the coals for that 04 debacle against denver in the springs. after all isn't Hak the only one who loses NCAA playoff games he shouldn't? I'm not directing this at you MafiaMan by the way.

let's not forget and you brought it up earlier that 01-02 season. that was under BLAIS and that was probably the worst season in this program's last 20 years and on the same sublect of Blais shouldn't he be criticized and raked over the coals for that 04 debacle against denver in the springs. after all isn't Hak the only one who loses NCAA playoff games he shouldn't? I'm not directing this at you MafiaMan by the way.

No worries, I totally get your point. The cupboard was bare after the 00 and 01 juggernaut was done. gfhockey would have wet his bed suffering thru that 02 season...and would have been screaming for Blais' head!