SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

There are more high end skaters playing college hockey now than there were even 10 years ago, let alone 30 years ago. That is "spreading the wealth" among teams and creating parity.

Not disagreeing yet CHN just named Kristo POY and Knight 2nd team All-American and UND scored just 3 goals in 2 NCAA games. Something isn't adding up here.

Boston College has won three of the last five championships. Are we even sure there is more parity?

And only 2 of Michigan's 9 titles occurred while most of us have been alive...does that make them any less of a national hockey power?

Hmnnn...I guess we agree to disagree then because I still think of the Wolverines as a national power. You expect Michigan to be in the tournament...and they expect nothing less too.

Time was when Michigan feared us - I don't think they do any more

So it's way harder to win a championship now than when we last won one - I know it's a fact because many people say so, but hard to explain

It is easy to explain. Probability.

As a top four seed in the 12 team tourney your chances were:

50% x 50% x 50% = 12.5% likely to be the champ in a given season.

Now you are:

50% x 50% x 50% x 50% = 6.25% likely to be the champ in a given season.

Also the Sioux haven't had many breaks in regional seeding.

Look at the Sioux run in '97. Beat a weak Cornell to make Frozen Four, whip CC who was third in the WCHA at best, then smoke BU whom you had destroyed earlier in the same season. Not having to play Mich or the Gophers was huge.

Look at the Gophers run in '02. Beat a weak CC team to make the Frozen Four. Come home to Xcel to beat Mich and Maine. Caught both UND and BC in down years. Mich knocked off a great DU team in the regional.

Yes there have been some easy paths, but far less likely.

Explaining BC's awesomeness is far harder than the Sioux/Gophers futility since '03.

It is easy to explain. Probability.

As a top four seed in the 12 team tourney your chances were:

50% x 50% x 50% = 12.5% likely to be the champ in a given season.

Now you are:

50% x 50% x 50% x 50% = 6.25% likely to be the champ in a given season.

Also the Sioux haven't had many breaks in regional seeding.

Look at the Sioux run in '97. Beat a weak Cornell to make Frozen Four, whip CC who was third in the WCHA at best, then smoke BU whom you had destroyed earlier in the same season. Not having to play Mich or the Gophers was huge.

Look at the Gophers run in '02. Beat a weak CC team to make the Frozen Four. Come home to Xcel to beat Mich and Maine. Caught both UND and BC in down years. Mich knocked off a great DU team in the regional.

Yes there have been some easy paths, but far less likely.

Speaking of weak paths, how's we do with that opportunity this year?

• Upvote 1

Would you trade every trophy Hakstol got the last nine seasons for a National Championship?

That depends on what the alternative is? Would North Dakota finish below .500 in 8 seasons and not make a single post-season WCHA Final Five or NCAA tournament and have 1 season of success?

Does the chance of the gophers winning a men's basketball championship decrease if the field was expanded to 200? Well technically yes from .2% to .19% ;)

Michigan is looked upon, by me at least only, cause purely name recognition. When we play them I know they have the name and resources to compete with UND or anyone. Niagara could have more success in the tournament the last ten years and for right or for wrong I "wouldn't remember", too mme they get lumped with umass Lowell and the other not "historic" contenders.

I'm not sure what weak path you're talking about this year. As of right now Yale is at #5 in the Pairwise and UND is at #11. They were close together in the Pairwise most of the end of the season. Before the conference tournament weekend it looked like both UND and Yale were going to end up as #2 seeds. Yale is a better team than you are willing to admit. There was a bigger group than normal this year that were all close in ability, Yale and UND were both in that group. The top 12 or so in the current Pairwise could have all potentially won the tournament this year, which is part of the reason that the Frozen Four is basically new.

I don't recall UND having played BU that season...can you refresh my memory?

Played them in December at the Ralph. I was there.....won Friday 6-4, Saturday was 2-2 tie. I have no life for remembering this....

That depends on what the alternative is? Would North Dakota finish below .500 in 8 seasons and not make a single post-season WCHA Final Five or NCAA tournament and have 1 season of success?

No. Everything the same as its been. Just one game less of those titles.

Whoa whoa whoa...FIRST Sioux fans are bitching about having to go thru the Gophers to get to the Frozen Four...and now we're talking about how EASY this region should have been? We're talking out of both sides of our mouth now...

I'm not sure what weak path you're talking about this year. As of right now Yale is at #5 in the Pairwise and UND is at #11. They were close together in the Pairwise most of the end of the season. Before the conference tournament weekend it looked like both UND and Yale were going to end up as #2 seeds. Yale is a better team than you are willing to admit. There was a bigger group than normal this year that were all close in ability, Yale and UND were both in that group. The top 12 or so in the current Pairwise could have all potentially won the tournament this year, which is part of the reason that the Frozen Four is basically new.

The Gophers - number 2 seed in the country got knocked out and they were in our bracket - we got beat by the 4 seed. Our old nemesis BC is out too.

Quinpinnac, St. Cloud, and UMass Lowell is as good as it is going to get. Time to get it done! Yale is only # 5 because they kicked our ass.