SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

My threads are not calling for Mr. Hakstol's head. I am trying to get into the thought process of this fan base and wonder why they are so complacent with 8th place finishes every other year when they have a Top 3 program.

The only answer I have gotten is "who else is better"? Really, thats your answer? Like no other coach in the country could lead UND to an 8th place finish at the NCAA tournament in a division of 60 teams. NOBODY could possibly do that.

Maybe if they keep finishing 8th they are an 8th place team and not a top three. I always considered them a perennial top 10 team and not a top five team even. I think our expectations are not based in reality.

Maybe if they keep finishing 8th they are an 8th place team and not a top three. I always considered them a perennial top 10 team and not a top five team even. I think our expectations are not based in reality.

You may have a point there. I could be rating them too high.

You basically repeated what I wrote and then said I was dead wrong. Huh?

Bowden turned them into a national power, won 2 NC's, then over the next 10 years he didn't win a thing and was run out. Did we not just say the exact same thing?

No we didn't. You said it was SPECIFICALLy because he didn't win any national titles. He didn't win any from 1976 until 1993 either but that didn't seem to be a problem. I assume you would have fired him after 'Wide Right II'. He was forced out because Sugar and Fiesta Bowls turned into Gator and Music City Bowls.

I've stated this before...recruiting 15 NHL draft picks doesn't make you the best COLLEGE team in the country. Alabama football seems to do alright without NFL caliber quarterbacks...

Ask Brian Lawton again how being the #1 overall NHL draft pick worked out for him...

Seriously every year we at least know we have a shot at the ring. As many here have said that is a hard prize to get with all the variables in play. How many times have other teams on paper should have run away with a title and didn't? If BC had gone west out of their backyard the years they won would they still have won considering their record when they had to travel? We saw a few games where they seemed interested in playing but more games where they went through the motions only. How many games did people here think that was not good even when they won? This year was just not a year. From watching this year even at the end I kept thinking how are these guys in a regional final?

I've stated this before...recruiting 15 NHL draft picks doesn't make you the best COLLEGE team in the country. Alabama football seems to do alright without NFL caliber quarterbacks...

Ask Brian Lawton again how being the #1 overall NHL draft pick worked out for him...

Well it did give him the notoriety to become an agent and a hockey gm.

Unless they're Marty Schottenheimer after going 13-3 with the San Diego Chargers. Look how many titles they've won with their "new" coach. ;)

Starting Bono/Gerbak in playoffs over Gannon after Gannon did nothing but win games in two 13-3 seasons should have been the clue that Marty was untenable as acoach. Now while putting O'Donnell on the top scoring line might not be on par with Schottenheimer's foolishness, it has made me question how much Hak weighs the offensive component of the game vs puck responsability and physical play.

Of course I should add that I'm not even sure how I feel about that?

Starting Bono/Gerbak in playoffs over Gannon after Gannon did nothing but win games in two 13-3 seasons should have been the clue that Marty was untenable as acoach. Now while putting O'Donnell on the top scoring line might not be on par with Schottenheimer's foolishness, it has made me question how much Hak weighs the offensive component of the game vs puck responsability and physical play.

Of course I should add that I'm not even sure how I feel about that?

You make it sound like he didn't try any other options on that line. None of the seven players that were tried on the top line consistently clicked with Kristo/Knight.

True, but they surrounded him with the best OL in the country, the best RB, a Top 5 WR, and the best defense in the country. :)

Players go to Alabama to win national championships...going to the NFL will happen for some, but not all. Players go to UND to make the NHL. Therein lies the problem (in my humble opinion).

• Upvote 3

You make it sound like he didn't try any other options on that line. None of the seven players that were tried on the top line consistently clicked with Kristo/Knight.

I often wonder why markmac or parks never got put back ont he top line. parks played with knight and kristo on the pp for most of the second half and markmac played with them during our best stretch of the first half.

I often wonder why markmac or parks never got put back ont he top line. parks played with knight and kristo on the pp for most of the second half and markmac played with them during our best stretch of the first half.

The only one I thought actually clicked was Mark, just before Christmas. Kristo was feeding him gimmes, and he was putting them away. Getting into space to receive those is a skill, and he seemed on the same page with them. I think they wanted Mark centering a line, and maybe they wanted him to get someone else going (Mitch or at times Rowney). Although Parks had a good first game up top, I never felt like he got it going up there.

IMO, with the top attendance, the best arena, location by Minnesota AND Canada, and an athletic department completely committed to hockey, there is no reason not to expect UND to be a top 3 team.

• Upvote 1

When Hakstol was hired and you asked people if he couldn't win a championship in a decade how many people would think maybe he wouldn't be the right person to lead this program?

He's won 4 broadmoors, and a couple macnaughtons...those are championships...

I'd like a couple more NCAA trophies too, but it is extremely difficult and getting more difficult to win one.

More parity? Same amount of teams same amount of winners.

Technically Incorrect. The last time the Sioux won a title, each of the two regions had six teams and the top two seeds had a bye meaning one win = Frozen Four berth. You also only had 12 teams vs 16 as the tournament field has expanded.

So it's way harder to win a championship now than when we last won one - I know it's a fact because many people say so, but hard to explain

They haven't gone to a World Cup format and only play every 4 years have they? - No, ok, they still give one out each year. Well, there must be a lot more teams playing hockey. No, about the same? What could it be - oh, they changed the playoffs so that there are 16 teams instead of 12. I see, that must make it almost impossible to win - a magic occurance where everything has to align. Wait, what's that? Denver won back to back - what are the odds of that happening - what, the Gophers too - unbelieveable - what? BC has won how many?

Impossible. You have to put together a streak how long? 4 games? and you need a what - "hot goalie" - what's that? Well, maybe some of the teams got new state of the art facilities that are nicer than most NHL programs - that might upset the balance - wait - that's us? Next you'll be telling me Duluth won one.

I call BS on the "it's way harder now" theory. Same amount of teams - one wins every year - time to lace them up and get it done. When you're 1-5 in frozen 4 games, it's hard to blame the format

• Upvote 3

back in 2002 when the gophers won their first of back to backs they did so in the 12 team region format as mafia man eluded to. they were a two seed which meant one win and you are in the frozen four. the second in their back to back came under the current format. both of blais' titles were under the 12 team format as well. under gino someone correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it a best of three on higher seed home ice and winner of that went to frozen four. very different eras.

back in 2002 when the gophers won their first of back to backs they did so in the 12 team region format as mafia man eluded to. they were a two seed which meant one win and you are in the frozen four. the second in their back to back came under the current format. both of blais' titles were under the 12 team format as well. under gino someone correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it a best of three on higher seed home ice and winner of that went to frozen four. very different eras.

And we have done how? lately in the frozen 4's? Getting there is only half the problem

• Upvote 1

Technically Incorrect. The last time the Sioux won a title, each of the two regions had six teams and the top two seeds had a bye meaning one win = Frozen Four berth. You also only had 12 teams vs 16 as the tournament field has expanded.

I meant same amount of teams playing Division I hockey since Hakstol took over...might be one or two more? I didn't actually look it up.