SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs YALE - Sat GAMEDAY 3pm

AZSIOUX

If there is one thing that should be paramount from the experiences of the past losses, is that there needs to be more accountability in work ethic and discipline, and that has to be nurtured throughout the year. That means sitting a guy like Jason Blake if he is playing selfishly or without discipline, like Blais did. Don't know if the tourney is a place to start doing it, but sitting guys who take bad penalties is never a bad thing. How many times did Pattyn sit this year after a bad penalty. Rodwell just gets back in the lineup today and takes two penalties, which could be argued, but nonetheless started us on our heels a bit. We had the depth this year to send plenty of messages, game in and game out, and one could argue that Senkbeil had enough of a work ethic to get back in the lineup at some point down the stretch, although he took some bad penalties on occasion. When nobody is above getting benched, it sends a strong message. You would think that with all of this advise coming from everybody, that everyone stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last night.

Not sure what our style was supposed to be this year...

Exactly what was our identity? We tried to dump and chase and cycle all year long...how'd that work?? This team played it's best hockey when they cut it loose and pushed forward and Hak turned them loose.

• Upvote 1

So what happened this year? Let's do a post-mortem. I will start with the two that jump out at me.

1. We never found the winger to play with Knight and Kristo. This resulted in constant line juggling and little chemistry.

2. We never found secondary scoring with any consistency. Also resulting in constant line juggling.

So what happened this year? Let's do a post-mortem. I will start with the two that jump out at me.

1. We never found the winger to play with Knight and Kristo. This resulted in constant line juggling and little chemistry.

2. We never found secondary scoring with any consistency. Also resulting in constant line juggling.

Don't forget we never established a starting goaltender...

Park's injury coupled with Mitch becoming eligible half way thru season IMO caused both issues. Not to mention the OD man crush.

Cary Eades two. Speaking of two that's probably how many nattys he'd have by now if hed coach und as long as hak the real golden choker.

Unfortunately, Cary Eades will not be on any short list to coach North Dakota if the position ever opens up again. His dismissal had nothing to do with his coaching ability. He was a great player,still is a great coach, and he bleeds green. But sadly, Hak had no choice but to let him go..... and that's all I will say about it.

Unfortunately, Cary Eades will not be on any short list to coach North Dakota if the position ever opens up again. His dismissal had nothing to do with his coaching ability. He was a great player,still is a great coach, and he bleeds green. But sadly, Hak had no choice but to let him go..... and that's all I will say about it.

See, and I've heard the same thing as you in regards to Eades I believe. Obviously there is no place on a message board for rumors and hearsay, but what I've heard makes me understand as to why Mr. Eades is coaching elsewhere.

See, and I've heard the same thing as you in regards to Eades I believe. Obviously there is no place on a message board for rumors and hearsay, but what I've heard makes me understand as to why Mr. Eades is coaching elsewhere.

I can put up with a lot of hearsay for an effective pp in the playoffs...:)
  • Upvote 1

I'm just going to say it: Lazy defense. Getting beat to the puck, not moving feet, opponents free on backside......

Not so much this last game, but there were long spells this season where that defined out play. And that was tolerable when we scored more than the opponents, but when we didn't, it was tough t watch.

And we have 2 Hobey Baker Finalist forwards on the squad and we can't score more than one goal? Lucy, you got some splainin' to do....

• Upvote 1

Horrible horrible penalties. Played to 'not lose' the whole game with a one goal lead which was absurd. Got out played, out skated, and out shot. Lost a majority of the battles and clearly most of the face offs. 2 hobey finalists and 3 total goals in 2 NCAA games. We were lucky to win the first game. Rocco looked good friday, no one looked good today. The whole team looked like we just woke up from a nap most of the game. This team wasn't great but this may have been the easiest path to the championship game we have had or will have for a while. Next year ain't going to be the year. These pathetic losses are becoming to common in the tourney. I wish Dell and Brock were still on this team. No pp goals in last few games. This was one uninspired team for the last month at least. I could handle ANOTHER loss to Yale in the tourney if we played to our abilities but to get dominated by Yale the way we did was unacceptable. This was a joke of epic performances and I blame everyone from the head coach on down. To play like you don't care pisses me off. We have hit a lot of pipes all year long, if we were better half those would have gone in, we weren't good enough case closed. Underachieved once again....

Style of play needs to fit personel...didn't this year.

The question is whether you dump it or try to carry it. You carry it if you can, otherwise you dump it. At all advanced levels of hockey. Including teams like BC and Lowell.

Love the Sioux, but St Cloud, won the WCHA and beat the hell out of Notre Dame ... they deserve to keep playing. Sioux beat themselves with poor D and missed opportunities today. As for Hakstol, his number speak for themselves. I would be thrilled if this guys recruits and coaches for UND for another 15-20 years. Fan have been pampered by this guy, and don't realize how bad it could be with anyone else. We have been lucky enough to watch post season hockey for the last 9 years. 5 Frozen Fours, One title game. I'll take it, the championship will come...

• Upvote 4

To win/compete close for the conf regular season title over the course of a full season a team has to be good, period. To win a natty, being it's one and done, you have to be BOTH good AND lucky. 2011 is a great example, Sioux likely best teamely in the country but played Mich in semi's outshooting them like 40-20 and hit 2 pipes but lose. Until they do like pro hockey and play best of series (and even that doesn't guarantee it if run into a hot goalie), just to be able to compete year in and year out for a chance at a natty like Hakstol has done is pretty good. Until that changes, stick with him. Being the pessimist that I am though, I do believe we might see our first .500 team at best in something like 12 - 15 years (?) next season and not make the national tourney (where will the goals come from? It's not a freshman league). The year after though the Sioux should pretty tough.

To win/compete close for the conf regular season title over the course of a full season a team has to be good, period. To win a natty, being it's one and done, you have to be BOTH good AND lucky. 2011 is a great example, Sioux likely best teamely in the country but played Mich in semi's outshooting them like 40-20 and hit 2 pipes but lose. Until they do like pro hockey and play best of series (and even that doesn't guarantee it if run into a hot goalie), just to be able to compete year in and year out for a chance at a natty like Hakstol has done is pretty good. Until that changes, stick with him. Being the pessimist that I am though, I do believe we might see our first .500 team at best in something like 12 - 15 years (?) next season and not make the national tourney (where will the goals come from? It's not a freshman league). The year after though the Sioux should pretty tough.

Exactly...see 1997 banner...ask Brendan Morrison.