SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Early Departures

AZSIOUX

Yikes. So much for the great expectations of this season and next season for Minnesota. If everyone for Minny came back next year, wow...that team would be absolutely LOADED.

I thought that they were supposedly loaded this year. :glare:

Yikes. So much for the great expectations of this season and next season for Minnesota. If everyone for Minny came back next year, wow...that team would be absolutely LOADED.

well with losing that much firepower it is a good thing they will be playing in the Big 10 to make sure they finish above .500

If they lose those players, Minnesota will be like us and need their freshmen like Cammaratta, Kloos and Nanne make some noise, along with getting offense from the blueline. Their competition could actually come from Wisconsin next year, along with Michigan.

If they lose those players, Minnesota will be like us and need their freshmen like Cammaratta, Kloos and Nanne make some noise, along with getting offense from the blueline. Their competition could actually come from Wisconsin next year, along with Michigan.

what not from that newly formed powerhouse penn state :D

Makes a lot of sense for Schmidt to sign being a FA, probably got a big deal and Washington is a good situation for him to try to get to the NHL quick and might even alllow him to get some time this season. Guessing Nashville really pushed Budish to sign and it was tough decison for him after his comments about coming back. I would guess Bjugstad will leave but I thought he would last year too. It doesn't make sens to me for Haula to sign with the depth the Wild have, Haula would be spending all next year in Houston if he decides to sign.

All four will sign, the only hope I had was Budish maybe sticking around but looks like that's not happening either. Losing 4 guys early seems like a lot to overcome but with only 1 senior(Helgeson) it won't be anything unusual to have to replace 5 guys in one off-season.

Cammaratta and Kloos might be the two best forwards in the USHL as they are 1-2 in scoring despite playing less games than every player below them. Both will make immediate impacts. Fasching, Guertler, and C. Reilly who missed this season with injury are also highly coveted. It's perfect timing for the Gophers to bring in one of the best recruiting classes they've had in recent memory which this one certainly is.

All four will sign, the only hope I had was Budish maybe sticking around but looks like that's not happening either. Losing 4 guys early seems like a lot to overcome but with only 1 senior(Helgeson) it won't be anything unusual to have to replace 5 guys in one off-season.

Cammaratta and Kloos might be the two best forwards in the USHL as they are 1-2 in scoring despite playing less games than every player below them. Both will make immediate impacts. Fasching, Guertler, and C. Reilly who missed this season with injury are also highly coveted. It's perfect timing for the Gophers to bring in one of the best recruiting classes they've had in recent memory which this one certainly is.

So clearly Lucia knew what he was doing when he over recruited at forward for 2013? ;)

How many guys had great numbers in the USHL, MJHL, SJHL, AJHL, and BCJHL then did nothing in college? Too many to count.

Id say the goofs are losing a ton of high end talent but they have a heck of a class coming in... If Wilcox doesnt have a huge soph slimp they will be juuuust fine in the weak10 which is actually 6 but 10 sounds like more than 8......

Which is more than 7 but 7 is still more than 5 ;)

They could potentially fill some of the scoring void, but I would imagine they would be giving up a lot at the other end as well, which is the case with a lot of freshmen.

I thought that they were supposedly loaded this year. :glare:

I kinda said that, didn't I? :)

They could potentially fill some of the scoring void, but I would imagine they would be giving up a lot at the other end as well, which is the case with a lot of freshmen.

Defense should still be pretty solid. Only losing 2 defensemen. Helgeson is replaceable but Schmidt hurts because of his offensive talent. Minnesota is bringing in more of the small/fast forwards than usual, but I think that's the way to go in college hockey now. Fasching is going to be nothing but a big bodied forward IMO.

Defense should still be pretty solid. Only losing 2 defensemen. Helgeson is replaceable but Schmidt hurts because of his offensive talent. Minnesota is bringing in more of the small/fast forwards than usual, but I think that's the way to go in college hockey now. Fasching is going to be nothing but a big bodied forward IMO.

IMO the defense will be better next season. Skjei will take over Helgeson's role (the guy the fans get mad at), and Mikey Reiley will take over the scoring.

If Wilcox doesnt have a huge soph slimp they will be just fine in the weak10 which is actually 6 but 10 sounds like more than 8......

;)

Recent Gopher history with goalies indicates that this will be Wilcox's best year and he will begin to tail off until replaced by some flash freshman his senior year.

even though it sounds like minnesota is losing 3 of their top 6 forwards- i dont think scoring ability will suffer as much as some do.. especially 5 on 5 as their 5 on 5 play wasnt great this year. but imo team defense and offensive zone time will suffer (which will in turn affect their scoring totals). they are keeping 5 or 6 of their defensemen- but theyre losing three of their bigger forwards and replacing them with small offensive forwards.

Yeah Cam and Kloos hit the stat sheet hard but they are not hard to play against....their team is average at best.

even though it sounds like minnesota is losing 3 of their top 6 forwards- i dont think scoring ability will suffer as much as some do.. especially 5 on 5 as their 5 on 5 play wasnt great this year. but imo team defense and offensive zone time will suffer (which will in turn affect their scoring totals). they are keeping 5 or 6 of their defensemen- but theyre losing three of their bigger forwards and replacing them with small offensive forwards.

Even when Budish, Haula, and Bjugstad weren't scoring goals, they were dominating forecheckers that few teams could match in terms of strength down low...that is tough to replace. I remember thinking that on our team, only Mac was physically strong enough to man up against them, and even then if he didn't have position he struggled, and Mac was one big, strong customer. Other D men had no chance...Gleason, Mattson, Schmaltz all looked like children against them on the boards, and Simpson and Forbert were just hanging on for dear life.