SiouxSports.com Forum

Penn State

Big Green

Someone explain to me all the hate for Penn State? I understand that since they started up a D1 hockey program we now have a Big 10 conference, but isn't groth in college hockey good? With all the programs folding it is nice to see a new program. Maybe I'm the only one looking forward to the new conference. Every game is going to be against a quality team.

I'm all for growth and change. It's going to happen no matter what as the whole landscape of college sports are changing, why not embrace it. I look forward to UND whoopin up Penn State! Will be interesting when they can land ther first blue chipper to see if that can propel the program.

A few ok wins but these teams are down this year. Also some bad losses to club teams

Ohio State

Vermont

Michigan state

Us u18

I agree. I really think the pros of this changing landscape outweigh the cons in this situation. I don't think anyone is gaining a distinct advantage over anyone. Yeah, it hurts to lose games against Minnesota and Wisconsin, but our program is so much more than just playing those teams. With smaller conferences, it will give room to other teams who may want to get in on the action. With the conferences becoming as inflated as they were, there wasn't much room for more teams to join. I'm not implying that any new additions to college hockey are imminent, but if a school does start weighing its options, it is much more appealing to know that someone will have a place for you.

I think the future WCHA schools will find it beneficial to have greater opportunity to make the tournament. If some of the more prominent schools do their part and continue to schedule those schools, I think it will be a win-win. UND is already doing its part in scheduling Bemidji and Northern Michigan next year in some non-conference action.

I'm all for growth and change. It's going to happen no matter what as the whole landscape of college sports are changing, why not embrace it. I look forward to UND whoopin up Penn State! Will be interesting when they can land ther first blue chipper to see if that can propel the program.

A few ok wins but these teams are down this year. Also some bad losses to club teams

Ohio State

Vermont

Michigan state

Us u18

I think Penn State will struggle quite a bit next season and really their first few seasons. Maybe they can eventually turn into a decent program but I don't see it anytime in the near future.

There are a lot of people that have genuinely grown to like and enjoy WCHA hockey over the last several decades. There are many people that really like UND's 60+ year rivalry with Minnesota. There are a lot of people that like how college hockey used to intertwine the small schools with the big schools. There are some people that used to believe in the romantic idea of college hockey being about tradition and rivalries. By adding DI varsity hockey, Penn State changed all of that. Of course it's not really Penn State's fault, but people have to blame someone or something. A lot of people have latched on to blaming Penn State as the new kid on the block that effed everything up, or they blame Barry Alvarez for seemingly being the drive behind insisting on the BTHC. It's not entirely fair in either case, but it is what it is. It's the same thing with the fans of the WCHA left-behind schools blaming UND for the starting the NCHC. It's not entirely fair to do that, but it is what it is.

The reality is that change probably would have eventually happened anyway. It just turns out that Penn State was the catalyst for it happening now.

• Upvote 1

Someone explain to me all the hate for Penn State? I understand that since they started up a D1 hockey program we now have a Big 10 conference, but isn't groth in college hockey good? With all the programs folding it is nice to see a new program. Maybe I'm the only one looking forward to the new conference. Every game is going to be against a quality team.

And how many would that be? Not many. It's ok if new programs emerge but you don't need to take all the schools who are in the same conference in other sports and put them together in the same conference for hockey. Hockey is not as popular as basketball or football in the US. We all know that. College hockey is a small community, and I'm ok with it.

That would be the least of their worries. Students would go off on them and probably bring soap on a rope and shower curtains to the game at a minimum

I'm all for getting on the opposing team, but if a Sioux fan did this, they should be banned from REA for the rest of their life. That's sick.

Jeeses how liberal are u? Some of u r starting to sound like the ncaa and banning free speech

Free speech is cool. Taunting a hockey team because someone at their school molested very young boys? If you think that's funny, you're dumber than I thought - and that's saying something!

• Upvote 2

Mankato is finally putting a good season together where it looks like they will make the playoffs. That only took 17 years!! Good luck Penn State!!

I can think of two seasons where Mankato deserved to make the NCAA tournament and did not (forgive me for not remembering what years they were). The first obvious one was the year Wisconsin hosted a regional and was selected to the tournament despite Mankato having a better record and Bucky being .500 or a game below. The Badgers promptly dusted off Denver and lost to UND in the regional final. The other was a year when Mankato finished the year hotter than a pistol including a two-game sweep of St Cloud at the National Concrete Center only to see St Cloud get picked for the tournament. The Huskies finished the season on an 0-6 tear and promptly got smoked by a HE school in the first round of the NCAA's.

Mankato deserved better both times.

that would be quite rude and merit removal from the arena.

Did you type that with your pinky out?

We're talking about drunk college students here. If we play them in five years it wouldn't be an issue but this year or next I'm sure something would go down that would merit an appology by the administration much like the small pox blanket chant from last year.

Penn State will struggle for a few years but pull out some wins. As much as it pains me to say it, I think they'll be competitive much sooner than people think. They have the whole state of PA to recruit from basically, which has been throwing out some solid talent. Hockey popularity has blown up in PA too. I think they'll be competitive (But not NCAA tournament good) within a few years. Give them another 7 or so years when those young kids that blew up the numbers of registered hockey players in the state to reach college age and they have the ability to REALLY bring in some recruits.

In the mean time I hope we beat them by 45 goals with a pulled goalie the entire game for ruining the WCHA :)

Penn State will struggle for a few years but pull out some wins. As much as it pains me to say it, I think they'll be competitive much sooner than people think. They have the whole state of PA to recruit from basically, which has been throwing out some solid talent. Hockey popularity has blown up in PA too. I think they'll be competitive (But not NCAA tournament good) within a few years. Give them another 7 or so years when those young kids that blew up the numbers of registered hockey players in the state to reach college age and they have the ability to REALLY bring in some recruits.

In the mean time I hope we beat them by 45 goals with a pulled goalie the entire game for ruining the WCHA :)

They will be another OSU that does nothing...