SiouxSports.com Forum

Penn State

Big Green

They will be another OSU that does nothing...

Not buying that. PSU has the money and support to back up their program. PA is fast becoming one of the top hockey states in the country if you go by registered players. I believe they're in the top 5 already. For cripes sake, they beat Vermont 4-2 in front of 19,500+ people in the Flyers arena one month ago. They have some support and will be good eventually.

Not buying that. PSU has the money and support to back up their program. PA is fast becoming one of the top hockey states in the country if you go by registered players. I believe they're in the top 5 already. For cripes sake, they beat Vermont 4-2 in front of 19,500+ people in the Flyers arena one month ago. They have some support and will be good eventually.

I agree with GFG on this one. Pennsylvania also has something that Ohio doesn't...a professional hockey team (two of them, in fact)!

I agree with GFG on this one. Pennsylvania also has something that Ohio doesn't...a professional hockey team (two of them, in fact)!

Ohio st basketball is very popular. Penn st basketball, not so much. Also people in Ohio don't like hockey as much as people in Pennsylvania. I'm sure they'll be good after a few years.

There are a lot of people that have genuinely grown to like and enjoy WCHA hockey over the last several decades. There are many people that really like UND's 60+ year rivalry with Minnesota. There are a lot of people that like how college hockey used to intertwine the small schools with the big schools. There are some people that used to believe in the romantic idea of college hockey being about tradition and rivalries. By adding DI varsity hockey, Penn State changed all of that. Of course it's not really Penn State's fault, but people have to blame someone or something. A lot of people have latched on to blaming Penn State as the new kid on the block that effed everything up, or they blame Barry Alvarez for seemingly being the drive behind insisting on the BTHC. It's not entirely fair in either case, but it is what it is. It's the same thing with the fans of the WCHA left-behind schools blaming UND for the starting the NCHC. It's not entirely fair to do that, but it is what it is.

The reality is that change probably would have eventually happened anyway. It just turns out that Penn State was the catalyst for it happening now.

I believe it was Barry Alvarez. The Badgers have struggled recently after being one of the better teams and winning national titles not that long ago. The Gophers and Sioux have remained strong most years since the late 1970's. He was also looking for money through a TV deal. I blame him. I don't believe Penn State made much of a difference. The Sioux and Gophers are still able to do well financially. This is his way of trying to improve Wisconsin and it breaks up the premier hockey league in the country. Alvarez doesn't care about hockey. When he demanded extra salary to coach the Badgers in the Rose Bowl that showed his true lack of character. If he were a class act he would have given one of the asst. coaches a chance to lead the team possibly improving their chances at another job. Arrogant self serving lard butt.

• Upvote 4

I can think of two seasons where Mankato deserved to make the NCAA tournament and did not (forgive me for not remembering what years they were). The first obvious one was the year Wisconsin hosted a regional and was selected to the tournament despite Mankato having a better record and Bucky being .500 or a game below. The Badgers promptly dusted off Denver and lost to UND in the regional final. The other was a year when Mankato finished the year hotter than a pistol including a two-game sweep of St Cloud at the National Concrete Center only to see St Cloud get picked for the tournament. The Huskies finished the season on an 0-6 tear and promptly got smoked by a HE school in the first round of the NCAA's.

Mankato deserved better both times.

I believe it was Barry Alvarez. The Badgers have struggled recently after being one of the better teams and winning national titles not that long ago. The Gophers and Sioux have remained strong most years since the late 1970's. He was also looking for money through a TV deal. I blame him. I don't believe Penn State made much of a difference. The Sioux and Gophers are still able to do well financially. This is his way of trying to improve Wisconsin and it breaks up the premier hockey league in the country. Alvarez doesn't care about hockey. When he demanded extra salary to coach the Badgers in the Rose Bowl that showed his true lack of character. If he were a class act he would have given one of the asst. coaches a chance to lead the team possibly improving their chances at another job. Arrogant self serving lard butt.

Agreed. I'm sure it was embarassing for him after bitching that the Badgers had to play small schools like Bemidji and Mankato and then getting beat by those schools. Perfect world scenario, Penn State joins the CCHA for 3-4 years while they build their program...but no, Barry and Delaney from Big10 Network figure they can squeeze a few extra bucks by broadcasting Ohio State vs Penn State on a Tuesday night in November...christ...end of rant...

Oddly enough, I think the Gofers/their fans lose out big in the new conference as they lose traditional conference rivals DU/CC/UND that they have had forever. Also, they replace bus trips (St Cloud, Duluth, Mankato, Bemidji) with flights to Happy Valley and Columbus.

All righty then...go Sioux!

Jeeses how liberal are u? Some of u r starting to sound like the ncaa and banning free speech

Liberals are usually in favor of freedom of speech and civil liberties.

You know, that godless, liberal ACLU that Sean Hannity always warned you about.... they fight for free speech.

So I guess the question is, "how liberal are you?"

Liberals are usually in favor of freedom of speech and civil liberties.

You know, that godless, liberal ACLU that Sean Hannity always warned you about.... they fight for free speech.

So I guess the question is, "how liberal are you?"

Perhaps he was suggesting that he wasn't liberal enough? How liberal are you could just be inquiring about his level of liberalness.

Because signs and jokes about child molestation are hilarious and need to be protected under the First Amendment?

I am as right wing as they come too, but to make light about sexual assault and pedophilia is far from funny. I am sure to the victims of Jerry Sandusky, wouldn't find these signs amusing at all so I am with you on this one.

Blah, blah, blah... Keep shoveling the Hammy line how the B1G is going to be so great....

That's fine if that's your view on it. I hate Penn State for starting a team too. But the overwhelming evidence suggests to me that they'll be a respectable team in 5-10 years. They have the support and resources as well as being located in what is becoming a hockey hot bed in the US. No doubt they'll be complete crap for a couple years, but I fully expect them to surpass Ohio State pretty fast. They're essentially still a club team this year roster wise and they've done much better in their DI games than I thought they would. I figured they would be blown out by anyone and everyone at the DI level but they've stood their ground.

and their season is over. Big 10 a one horse race for a few years unless Red can reel it back in fast. Gophs maybe lose 2/3 games in league play if they get up every game which prob won't happen but possible. Bad bad teams in the big as of now

Not that uw was doing much but 1 loss to a awful team flushed the season down the drain without final 5 title.

Let's face it, the difference between teams now is not nearly as much as it was in the past, simply because there are so many resources to draw players from, and the coaching at different levels is better across the board. I think that bears out in each of the conferences where if you get swept on any given weekend you could drop 3 or 4 spots in your league. You are going to always have teams with a bit higher skill level, but we have seen that a hard working team can cancel that out in many circumstances. Who'd have thought Mankato would turn it around so fast under a new coach? People better realize how fortunate the Sioux have been to put together such a great string of NCAA appearances.

• Upvote 1