SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

List of demands: Skip to last page

http://lastrealindia...ersity-of-north

Basically, they are calling for no one to wear the logo.... ever again.

And to pick a name by Fall 2014

How does the University of North Dakota go about enforcing this zero tolerance police when Wilbur walks into Columbia Mall with a Sioux jersey on as he and the wife shop for some baby clothes? Should he be arrested? Have his degree revoked? Tasered? What exactly does this group want to see happen?

Maybe UND should have a satellite campus for Native Americans only, then Native Americans won't have to see anyone who has a different culture, opinion, religion, tradition, etc. And at that campus make a no logo rule so they won't enroll any Native Americans who don't conform to the anti-nickname Native Americans' opinions and politics.

I'm tired of their complaining! Anti-nickname Native Americans will never be happy as I think it's obvious they hate Caucasian Americans. I wonder if Native Americans have to do diversity training to understand and accept Caucasian American's culture, beliefs, traditions, etc.

Maybe UND should have a satellite campus for Native Americans only, then Native Americans won't have to see anyone who has a different culture, opinion, religion, tradition, etc. And at that campus make a no logo rule so they won't enroll any Native Americans who don't conform to the anti-nickname Native Americans' opinions and politics.

I'm tired of their complaining! Anti-nickname Native Americans will never be happy as I think it's obvious they hate Caucasian Americans. I wonder if Native Americans have to do diversity training to understand and accept Caucasian American's culture, beliefs, traditions, etc.

I have to wonder if the new diversity and cultural sensitivity training will apply to all new students across-the-board or if there will be waivers granted for some folks. I would assume it's across-the-board...

I have to wonder if the new diversity and cultural sensitivity training will apply to all new students across the board or if you're able to show proof of non 100% whiteness, you'll be granted a waiver.

Will spray on tanning count? Just asking..................

How does the University of North Dakota go about enforcing this zero tolerance police when Wilbur walks into Columbia Mall with a Sioux jersey on as he and the wife shop for some baby clothes? Should he be arrested? Have his degree revoked? Tasered? What exactly does this group want to see happen?

Try this instead, how would they enforce a member of the Spirit Lake or Standing Rock Sioux Nation wearing Sioux gear at a sporting event or on campus? " Hey you, you can't wear that, it's offensive to Natives like yourself."

• Upvote 1

List of demands: Skip to last page

http://lastrealindians.tumblr.com/post/85876785193/a-list-of-demands-put-forth-by-university-of-north

Basically, they are calling for no one to wear the logo.... ever again.

And to pick a name by Fall 2014

First one...LOL!!! Get real

Second one...sounds good lets get that ball rolling

Try this instead, how would they enforce a member of the Spirit Lake or Standing Rock Sioux Nation wearing Sioux gear at a sporting event or on campus? " Hey you, you can't wear that, it's offensive to Natives like yourself."

ZERO TOLERANCE is ZERO TOLERANCE!

Wilbur should be arrested anyway so this policy does nothing...:)

I thought it was interesting that they showed a great example of zero tolerance then they resorted to name calling.

Paraphrasing: "What about Mr. Lousy...or is it pronounced Loser...the guy from Minot who proposed the bill, Louser"

Yes he does. It's full of juice boxes, orange slices and glitter to hand out and sprinkle on everyone there.

I have zero problem with the march's "spokesperson" denouncing the conduct of the kids and their shirts just as long as it is also mentioned the severe problem with alcoholism in the NA culture and on the reservations.

Can problems like what seen on Spirit Lake or Fort Berthold with alcohol and child abuse ever be addressed without the person being labeled racist for discussing the issue? Is the Herald racist for even reporting on events out of Fort Totten or Belcourt? What line can be crossed without causing issues? Family Guy did the very same thing in satire and there was no protest.

My point is that I knew they were going to go there and with Kelley and his staff bending over backwards to please them, it is not out of the question. All I am saying is be vigilant. I am going to be watching very closely.

Fair enough. I just see it as "swingin' for the fences" for this group. All I think they want immediately is an apology and someone to be reprimanded. Doesn't matter who it is. Just someone.

Logistically, I don't think it can be pulled off. Too many problems to jump.

Can problems like what seen on Spirit Lake or Fort Berthold with alcohol and child abuse ever be addressed without the person being labeled racist for discussing the issue? Is the Herald racist for even reporting on events out of Fort Totten or Belcourt? What line can be crossed without causing issues? Family Guy did the very same thing in satire and there was no protest.

Have you ever heard anyone at UND within the Native American studies community address any REAL issues among the NA people or their culture? No.

At the sake of repeating myself, those blowhards are nothing more than Al Sharpton wannabes.

• Upvote 1

Fair enough. I just see it as "swingin' for the fences" for this group. All I think they want immediately is an apology and someone to be reprimanded. Doesn't matter who it is. Just someone.

Logistically, I don't think it can be pulled off. Too many problems to jump.

Neither do I. Too tough to monitor, however, with how this world is shaping up nothing surprises me anymore.

I have to wonder if the new diversity and cultural sensitivity training will apply to all new students across-the-board or if there will be waivers granted for some folks. I would assume it's across-the-board...

Just another "check the box" requirement to keep a few bed wetters happy. Sort of like the "diversity" training found in corporate settings.