SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

I know in the past, and I think it's still the same, certain programs hold a couple spots for Native Americans, even if they have lower grades to qualify, and could potentially take someone's spot who deserves the spot. If that's not racism, what is?

For medical school they do reserve an additional number of spots, but it doesn't really take away from other more deserving students. If these spots are not filled then they go to no one. Right now the 75 most qualified students will get in and if some people apply for INMED (Indians in Medicine) then the class size will be larger than 75.

We need to stop blaming all NAs for the actions of a few. That makes us no better than they are. I just posted the following on the GF Herald's FB page.

I in no way support the t-shirts worn by non-university students and three UND students in a non-University sponsored event, on non-University owned property. I in no way support the demand that the University of North Dakota turn into a police state. In my opinion, the outrage to the use and abuse of Native American names and imagery is a smoke screen for real, ongoing Native American issues/problems. It's easier to cry racism and stereotyping than it is to go up against some dictatorial Tribal Councils that do little to address or stop alcohol/chemical abuse, the murder and abuse of children, school drop outs, teen age pregnancy, housing shortages, high suicide rates, unemployment, mental illness, etc. That would involve admitting internal issues are adversely affecting the Native American culture. That would involve hard and, possibly, dangerous actions and work on the part of the protesters. An admittedly disgusting t-shirt didn't create those problems. Vilifying a University that offers more educational opportunities than schools many times larger, isn't going to fix those problems. Carrying a placard denouncing stereotypes and racism isn't going to fix those problems. Taking action to improve the problems in your own back yard is what is going to uplift self esteem, improve health, eliminate early child demise, promote education, etc.

Nominated for Post of the Year.

Thanks, Sioux-cia. You've been there, so your voice needs to be heard.

• Upvote 2

If they want to do that at the med school make sure they can only do medicine on reservations. If they want to do medicine off the reservations their grades better qualify like everyone else's.

1) Would you do the same for athletes who are admitted to universities despite having academic qualifications lower than the vast majority of the rest of the student body? Put an asterisk on their diploma if they graduate?

2) Medical school is where students learn the framework to then go on to residency, which is where they actually learn to practice medicine. Every medical student must take national licensure exams and pass them before they can move through residency.

3) Do you think that there are not white people who get into medical school despite having lower GPA's and MCAT scores than some of the other applicants?

• Upvote 1

1) Would you do the same for athletes who are admitted to universities despite having academic qualifications lower than the vast majority of the rest of the student body? Put an asterisk on their diploma if they graduate?

2) Medical school is where students learn the framework to then go on to residency, which is where they actually learn to practice medicine. Every medical student must take national licensure exams and pass them before they can move through residency.

3) Do you think that there are not white people who get into medical school despite having lower GPA's and MCAT scores than some of the other applicants?

To answer the first question everyone should not get preference just because of race or if they are athletes. How is residency going to help if they can't pass a test in school. I don't know if there are white people that get into med school despite lower GPA's if that is the case.

If they want to do that at the med school make sure they can only do medicine on reservations. If they want to do medicine off the reservations their grades better qualify like everyone else's.

So they should only be able to work on other Indians if there scores are lower? Darryl you are a racist, don't want any indian doctor working on you, but back on the reservation, no problem. SMH

• Upvote 1

For medical school they do reserve an additional number of spots, but it doesn't really take away from other more deserving students. If these spots are not filled then they go to no one. Right now the 75 most qualified students will get in and if some people apply for INMED (Indians in Medicine) then the class size will be larger than 75.

Do those additional INMED spots have to meet the same admittance criteria as the 75 most qualified? If so, no issue.

They aren't held to the same passing grades as other students at the med school. My brother in-law told me this when he attended there. But their degree can be used off of the reservations. So would you want a doctor who passed his courses with a good grade or even a passing grade, or a doctor who failed but still got a degree because they were Native American.

wow

So they should only be able to work on other Indians if there scores are lower? Darryl you are a racist, don't want any indian doctor working on you, but back on the reservation, no problem. SMH

Why am I a racist? Would you want a doctor working on you who didn't pass their tests like the rest of the class only because they were NA? So if a D- is 60% (most schools are), a NA can get a 50% as a passing grade and that's okay.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/19/opinion/moya-smith-native-american-racism/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Sen. Maria Cantwell, and Washington, D.C., Councilman David Grosso have each been photographed holding signs that read "#ProudToBe Standing With #NotYourMascot." And, according to the folks at the National Congress of American Indians, more photos continue to stream in.

Grosso, who's a Washington Redskins season ticket holder, recently told me he predicts the team name will, in fact, be abolished in the next five years.

"Ultimately we're going to have to right this wrong," he said. "The word 'redskins' has never been used in a positive way. It's been a racist and a derogatory term since forever."

Sen. Reid told me: "The degrading team name inflicts pain on Native American populations. The name is going to change; it's only a question of when. The NFL and Dan Snyder have to realize they are on the losing side of history."

The NFL will be forced to strong-arm Daniel Snyder into changing the team name for PR purposes. You might start seeing corporate sponsors pull their money out and use it elsewhere; that would be the final nail in the coffin. I'm not a huge fan of all this PC nonsense, but I don't think it can be stopped. And if Snyder doesn't like it, he can just sell the team to someone else. Based on the performance of the team during the Snyder regime, it might be a blessing in disguise.

Why am I a racist? Would you want a doctor working on you who didn't pass their tests like the rest of the class only because they were NA? So if a D- is 60% (most schools are), a NA can get a 50% as a passing grade and that's okay.

You're still working under a premise that you have not yet proven to be true.

• Upvote 1

The NFL will be forced to strong-arm Daniel Snyder into changing the team name for PR purposes. You might start seeing corporate sponsors pull their money out and use it elsewhere; that would be the final nail in the coffin. I'm not a huge fan of all this PC nonsense, but I don't think it can be stopped. And if Snyder doesn't like it, he can just sell the team to someone else. Based on the performance of the team during the Snyder regime, it might be a blessing in disguise.

Change the team to the Washington Tribe or Natives and keep the logo . At least it's a compromise.

The Washington Americans, and keep the logo as a nod to Native Americans as the original inhabitants of this continent?

But since "America" didn't actually exist until white people established the United States of America, wouldn't the nickname "Americans" be considered racist as well?

med school grade point average is higher than traditional pass fail standards, when was the last time you went to the doctor and asked to see their GPA before you let them examine you? you are a racist because you think it is just fine for them to work on the reservation, they just cant examine your white skin because they may not be smart enough!

med school grade point average is higher than traditional pass fail standards, when was the last time you went to the doctor and asked to see their GPA before you let them examine you? you are a racist because you think it is just fine for them to work on the reservation, they just cant examine your white skin because they may not be smart enough!

Spin it all you want. But if they want to hold spots open at the med school for NA only and even "give" them passing grades so they can take that degree back to the Rez is fine by me (if that's the way they want more doctors on the Rez) but if someone else (non-NA) getting the same grades or trying to get that same spot in med school is denied a degree, isn't that race discrimination?

And for the record my white skin is also part Native American.

You know what they call the student that finsihes last in his/her med school class? Doctor. Careful with the racist term though............. But don't be naive to think that all med schools, including UND, except the "best of the best"...they don't. More and more many highly qualified white male candidates are passed over nation wide for women and minorities with lesser entering grades, MCAT scores and qualifications as to diversify the medical profession. And you know what...it is probably for the betterment of medicine overall because when it is all said and done they are are all physicians/doctors. But to think that all those accepted to med school are the absolute best within the pool of candidates to a particular school is not accurate.

This also assumes that grades/transcripts/scores are the only thing considered when med schools take students. You can ace your MCAT and have a perfect transcript and still be a horrible MD if you don't listen to your patients when they talk. All the book "learnin" in the world won't help if you ignore what people report because you know what's wrong with them just because they are a woman, or a mexican, a fat person, a poor person etc. Or if you won't return your patient calls, or sign your notes because you are lazy or just not that into your job. There are many things that go into making a good Doc.

Further we all know that being connected can help grease the wheels for students. Programs like INMEd just help level the nepotism factor.

• Upvote 2

How about we change the name of the Washington Capitols after all the incompetent boobery that has taken place on Capitol Hill. I'm offended by Congress's approval rating.

Actually they're the Capitals with an "a" but let's not get bogged down in semantics...I'm offended by Congress' approval rating too.

• Upvote 1

This also assumes that grades/transcripts/scores are the only thing considered when med schools take students. You can ace your MCAT and have a perfect transcript and still be a horrible MD if you don't listen to your patients when they talk. All the book "learnin" in the world won't help if you ignore what people report because you know what's wrong with them just because they are a woman, or a mexican, a fat person, a poor person etc. Or if you won't return your patient calls, or sign your notes because you are lazy or just not that into your job. There are many things that go into making a good Doc.

Further we all know that being connected can help grease the wheels for students. Programs like INMEd just help level the nepotism factor.

Exactly. One of the first pieces of advice that I got from just about anyone I talked to was that your GPA and MCAT score would only matter for getting an interview or not. Once interviews started everyone was on even ground.

This has now become a thing and being supported by the some of the same people who are demanding that all Native American imagery be removed from UND's campus. Apparently their understanding of what zero tolerance actually means is a little off. I'd like to say I'm surprised but....

Bn3LzQ2CEAIWZYh.jpg

I highly doubt this shirt was developed by Native Americans or anyone supporting the group that wants the Fighting Sioux name scrubbed from UND. This is just as offensive as the other shirt. It is the basterdizing of the Sioux name that was one of the main reasons this group wanted the nickname to go. I still have a water bottle with the name H-Sioux-O on it when they gave that away after a football game about a dozen years ago all hell broke loose.