SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoffs

Cratter

Can we check the league bylaws-is there a requirement that upon entry to the BSC you must stop playing quality defense? Maybe they copied that section from the old WAC days?

Defense is not exclusive to a league or leagues. The offense's in those leagues have something to do with it. We just saw the second best team in the MVFC go out to EWU and get 51 hung on them. Last year UNI was the second best team from the "defensive" MVFC and they got 50 hung on them by Montana. When half of the offense's in your league are inept, your defense is going to look good.

I can only dream to have over 18,000 for UND football. When you have that many despite FM's population that is still good. UND had great crowds in the past at the Alerus but what is NDSU doing that UND isn't doing to get a sellout? WIN!!! You win people will come you lose people will stay home.

UND has had some dismal turnouts for playoff games at the the alerus center I remember some in the 5-7k range, pretty sad.

UND has had some dismal turnouts for playoff games at the the alerus center I remember some in the 5-7k range, pretty sad.

That topic has been covered a million times. UND was in the playoffs and had multiple home playoff games from 2001 to 2007, with 2002 being the only year they did not reach the playoffs. Those first round games were boring matchups that were repeats from previous years (see Winona State). The fans did not care to see those same doormats every year in the first couple rounds.

Also, that was the D2 days and the hype is a weeee bit bigger now. When NDSU won the NC, it assured they would sell out every game from then on until they started losing again.

That topic has been covered a million times. UND was in the playoffs and had multiple home playoff games from 2001 to 2007, with 2002 being the only year they did not reach the playoffs. Those first round games were boring matchups that were repeats from previous years (see Winona State). The fans did not care to see those same doormats every year in the first couple rounds.

Also, that was the D2 days and the hype is a weeee bit bigger now. When NDSU won the NC, it assured they would sell out every game from then on until they started losing again.

I agree it was boring watching UND wax Winona State every damn year. But when Pitt State and UC Davis came in that place was packed and loud. I was at the UND-UC Davis game in 2001 where UC Davis had I believe 7 fall starts due to the noise. Maybe when UND starts putting some W's on the board we can get back to that level but right now we are a little bit above the Eastern Michigan level.

• Upvote 2

Defense is not exclusive to a league or leagues. The offense's in those leagues have something to do with it. We just saw the second best team in the MVFC go out to EWU and get 51 hung on them. Last year UNI was the second best team from the "defensive" MVFC and they got 50 hung on them by Montana. When half of the offense's in your league are inept, your defense is going to look good.

ISU wasn't the defensive team NDSU or SDSU is. They got there on offense. I mean even a average Bison offense put 38 up on them on the road. SHSU will be much better defensively than ISU. I personally am pulling for EWU on that side of the bracket.

NDSU -9 O/U 45

GSU

Much respect for the NDSU defense holding GS to about 18 points.

SHSU -2 O/U 60

EWU

This should be a fun one to watch, looks like a track meet on paper.

Isn't it an automatic 3 points for home field so on a neutral field NDSU would be favored by 6. Seems like a very low number for the #1 defense, and for what NDSU did to them the last time they met.

Isn't it an automatic 3 points for home field so on a neutral field NDSU would be favored by 6. Seems like a very low number for the #1 defense, and for what NDSU did to them the last time they met.

The number one Defense has had an underperforming Offense at times. I think this game will be tight as hell.

Unleash the Crockett!

you know what i am a huge bison fan and that might be the best thing i heard on here

for a long time unleash the crockett is awesome now if you can call brent vigen

offense coordinator and tell him that i would greatly appreciate it

on the other hand, ISU put 38 on asu and 35 on ewu. In conference, they scored 23, 24, 0, 35, 28, 17, 33, 17, 20.

ewu gave up 26, 26, 17 (UND), 24, 28, 30, 17, 28, and 34. ISU scored a season high against ewu; more points than any big sky team managed to put up. Of course EWU also put up more points than any MVFC team on ISU, and matched EIU for a season high.

ISU also put up the second most points scored on ASU.

This from a team that finished 5th in scoring in mvfc play, despite missing the conferences #2 defense.

As a whole, based on this limited sample, I think there is quite a bit more to the quality of valley defenses than playing poor offenses.

on the other hand, ISU put 38 on asu and 35 on ewu. In conference, they scored 23, 24, 0, 35, 28, 17, 33, 17, 20.

ewu gave up 26, 26, 17 (UND), 24, 28, 30, 17, 28, and 34. ISU scored a season high against ewu; more points than any big sky team managed to put up. Of course EWU also put up more points than any MVFC team on ISU, and matched EIU for a season high.

This from a team that finished 5th in scoring in mvfc play, despite missing the conferences #2 defense.

As a whole, based on this limited sample, I think there is quite a bit more to the quality of valley defenses than playing poor offenses.

When you refer to "missing", do you mean they didn't play vs the #2 defense?

Fun how statistics say what we want them to. Again, one game so the results have no real bearing, but playing your game...

What does it say about the MVFC defense's when the fifth rated offense in the Big Sky (without facing the 2nd and 13th rated defenses) scores 48% more than they averaged against Big Sky teams? And a whopping 137% more points than ISU normally gives up to MVFC offenses? EWU had their 2nd highest point total of the year (UND) and 3rd highest yardage (CP and SUU).

The number one Defense has had an underperforming Jensen at times. I think this game will be tight as hell.

Fixed your post.

This game will fall squarely on Jensen IMO. I don't think he has to win it, he just can't lose it. Another pick 6 without making any plays of significance in the passing game won't be good for FU.

But this D is so good with it's front 7 I don't see GSU doing a whole lot more offensively than last year.

Fixed your post.

This game will fall squarely on Jensen IMO. I don't think has to win it, he just can't lose it. Another pick 6 without making any plays of significance in the passing game won't be good for FU.

But this D is so good with it's front 7 I don't see GSU doing a whole lot more offensively than last year.

Why do I get the feeling if Jensen doesn't win the big one again he won't be starting next year?

Why do I get the feeling if Jensen doesn't win the big one again he won't be starting next year?

See the SF 49ers QB situation...Wentz can do things that Jensen can't is the word on the street.

Wentz has an absolute cannon I know that. Jensen wasn't exactly great in the playoffs last season either, he was battling that turf toe. These pick 6s must stop, it's ridiculous and for some reason the Bison choose those sideline routes over and over and rarely use the middle of the field.

See the SF 49ers QB situation...Wentz can do things that Jensen can't is the word on the street.

I have heard that too......but, not from anyone terribly close to the program. I do wonder if Jensen has not had some undisclosed nagging injury because he has really been a different QB in the last part of the season.

I have heard that too......but, not from anyone terribly close to the program. I do wonder if Jensen has not had some undisclosed nagging injury because he has really been a different QB in the last part of the season.

My opinion is he has always locked onto his first reciever and got away with it. This year it is just biting him. FU also lacks a WR that can create any seperation and spread the field and that has hurt as well.