SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoffs

Cratter

Well......after watching that game last night.....I am glad we are FCS and not FBS where we could only compete for some halfassed minor Bowl.

It would take years to break through in fbs like boise did. If d1 splits into three subdivisions we'll both be in the second tier anyway so we're in the right place.

• Upvote 1

by chance, I watched the game tonight with a trio of former UND players. Their response, was interesting to say the least.

NDSU is going to lose the title game by at least 20. That team is a train wreck, not anywhere near championship material. I'm not going to waste my time or money going to the title game.

I've been observing these forums for quite some time, and this is probably one of the dumbest things I think I've ever seen posted on an FCS football board.

LOL......not me. I usually don't drink too much kool-aid....But, one hell of a game that showcased FCS is a good way on ESPN2.

Yeah, that game will probably be better than 95% of the Bowl games, I think the game today will be good too.

if NDSU play Sam Houston they will win, if they play Eastern Wash they will lose. that said it is quite an accomplishment for them to be in their second straight title game in what their fourth year of being eligible.

It's far more likely that you have it backwards. EWU is the matchup most Bison fans want to see. They're a much softer team than SHSU.

While I'm a UND fan and always will be due to my connections with the university, I am also a die-hard football fan. NDSU is a very good football team and they demonstrate qualities that we have not even hinted at since we have gone DI. I really think the leadership and commitment to excellence are the two major differences between the two programs. NDSU lives and dies football, and they have demonstrated that over the last five to six years, while we have somehow managed to lose to teams like Sioux Falls and get blown out on the road against conference competition. Also, Mussman continues to disappoint me both with his track record and things I hear about him from players and alumni. Bohl is a darn good football coach, and the "2009 excuse" just doesn't cut it, sorry.

With that said, its not the end all, die all for UND football. I think the recruiting is on the right track, and with good football players you should end up with good football teams. Now, whether those teams become championship-caliber is up to the coach, and I can say quite confidently that Mussman has some developing to do to get to that level.

As far as the FCS playoffs, which this thread pertains to, I believe NDSU should be the favorite no matter who plays them. EWU and NDSU would rightfully be the best matchup, and I can't say either one winning would be a bad scenario for UND. If EWU wins, the Big Sky gets recognition. If NDSU wins, North Dakota gets put on the map (again) as a football state. Considering those two outcomes, it’s tough not to go for the state I have lived in my entire life and just hope NDSU's success translates to UND's future success with future recruits.

But, as I mentioned earlier, the difference between the two programs right now is the commitment to the sport of football and the leadership of each program. Unfortunately, NDSU currently beats UND in both of those categories.

While I'm a UND fan and always will be due to my connections with the university, I am also a die-hard football fan. NDSU is a very good football team and they demonstrate qualities that we have not even hinted at since we have gone DI. I really think the leadership and commitment to excellence are the two major differences between the two programs. NDSU lives and dies football, and they have demonstrated that over the last five to six years, while we have somehow managed to lose to teams like Sioux Falls and get blown out on the road against conference competition. Also, Mussman continues to disappoint me both with his track record and things I hear about him from players and alumni. Bohl is a darn good football coach, and the "2009 excuse" just doesn't cut it, sorry.

With that said, its not the end all, die all for UND football. I think the recruiting is on the right track, and with good football players you should end up with good football teams. Now, whether those teams become championship-caliber is up to the coach, and I can say quite confidently that Mussman has some developing to do to get to that level.

As far as the FCS playoffs, which this thread pertains to, I believe NDSU should be the favorite no matter who plays them. EWU and NDSU would rightfully be the best matchup, and I can't say either one winning would be a bad scenario for UND. If EWU wins, the Big Sky gets recognition. If NDSU wins, North Dakota gets put on the map (again) as a football state. Considering those two outcomes, it’s tough not to go for the state I have lived in my entire life and just hope NDSU's success translates to UND's future success with future recruits.

But, as I mentioned earlier, the difference between the two programs right now is the commitment to the sport of football and the leadership of each program. Unfortunately, NDSU currently beats UND in both of those categories.

UND players want to win NDSU players need to win and will do whatever it takes to do so. That is the difference between the two and it has nothing to do with the coach. He can say all he wants but at the end of the day the players need to buy in 100% and push themselves as hard and far as possible. With Mussman swinging the axe this offseason the players will figure it out or be gone.

I think NDSU should be favored over whoever wins the game today, neither one has a good enough defense to force Jensen to beat them, which to me is the weak link for NDSU. Unless EWU/SHSU can put them down multiple scores and make Jensen throw the ball, NDSU should be able to hang around with the running game and stiff D and pull it out .

by chance, I watched the game tonight with a trio of former UND players. Their response, was interesting to say the least.

NDSU is going to lose the title game by at least 20. That team is a train wreck, not anywhere near championship material. I'm not going to waste my time or money going to the title game.

I'm sure these 'former players' are experts on ndsu's team. As an actual former player ill take ndsu at beating that spread.

I think NDSU should be favored over whoever wins the game today, neither one has a good enough defense to force Jensen to beat them, which to me is the weak link for NDSU. Unless EWU/SHSU can put them down multiple scores and make Jensen throw the ball, NDSU should be able to hang around with the running game and stiff D and pull it out .

With how EWU can explode offensively at any time ill say they would have a better chance

It's far more likely that you have it backwards. EWU is the matchup most Bison fans want to see. They're a much softer team than SHSU.

Wouldn't that be a revenge game too? Seems to me EWU knocked them out on their title run.

EWU has been an up and down team but if I'm NDSU I would rather play SHSU and their one-dimensional approach, it plays into the Bisons strength although GSU ran fairly well last night. EWU can score in bunches and passes for over 300 yards/game, they could actually give the Bison trouble through the air.

UND players want to win NDSU players need to win and will do whatever it takes to do so. That is the difference between the two and it has nothing to do with the coach. He can say all he wants but at the end of the day the players need to buy in 100% and push themselves as hard and far as possible. With Mussman swinging the axe this offseason the players will figure it out or be gone.

UND players want to win and NDSU needs to win has nothing to do with the coach? The attitude and demeanor of a team is that of their coach- the guy who they see and hear from each and every day. You can't tell me the coach has no part in this equation; that's just a convenient way to look at UND's football team and say having Mussman won't affect the team's performance.

UND players want to win and NDSU needs to win has nothing to do with the coach? The attitude and demeanor of a team is that of their coach- the guy who they see and hear from each and every day. You can't tell me the coach has no part in this equation; that's just a convenient way to look at UND's football team and say having Mussman won't affect the team's performance.

It's more about the leadership from the players. Doesn't matter how good the coach is, if there isn't leadership from players like Grant Olson at ndsu than a great coaches message will fall on deaf ears. UND failed this year because there was no leadership on defense, just a bunch of followers.

I agree with this. Winning is a culture. Winning programs have a winning culture. Bohl had to purge a number of players before he found the ones that turned the culture at NDSU into a winning one.

I have heard some strange things but to say a coach has nothing to do with winning is asinine. I'm sure he recruits kids that are or have the make up to be leaders. If I'm not mistaken the coach has alot to do with recruiting such players.

I don't think anyone is saying the coaches have nothing to do with it. But let's not forget just 3 years ago Bohl was an average season away from being fired.

I don't think anyone is saying the coaches have nothing to do with it. But let's not forget just 3 years ago Bohl was an average season away from being fired.

Apparently he has had some great recruiting years since then. They return a bunch of starters back next year and have a hell of a QB waiting in the wings.

Oh and according to geaux_sioux it doesn't matter how good the coach is. Doh-kay.

You mean, you watched our FCS Semifinal game on ESPN2 with some former UND fb players who have never played in a FCS playoff game, never been to a championship, and certainly don't have a FCS championship ring?? LOL Jealousy smells pretty good over on SS today.

You mean you sat down in front of a computer. Typed in siouxsports.com, clicked on the UND football tab, clicked into FCS playoffs thread, and took the time to post on your least favorite school's fan forum.

Yeah, and we're the jealous ones. Hahahahahahaha. :lol:

Ohhh....and taking the time to even make a username and set up a password and all that stuff....hahahahaha.....and I'm jealous of you....yup.... :lol:

• Upvote 2

Bohl has purged a lot of players with character issues, playing issues, and work ethic problems. There are 7 total seniors on this seasons team, mainly because the attirtion rate for the class was brutal, and Bohl has since then changed some issues with recruiting. I'm an NDSU diehard, I cannot stand UND for obvious reasons, but believe it or not I'm waiting desperately for your program to come around and contend on a national level. I'm sick and tired of the southeastern schools saying we can't play up here, and I know if UND gets to where there program can be they are going to think differently. It took one great recruiting class at NDSU to change things around, along with a difference in recruiting philosophy.

I obviously read differently with his comments, because I agree with him in players win the games, and you need the right players that want to win, and that starts off the field in January leading up to the season. The NDSU players now work their ass off 12 months out of the year, and the same could not be said with the players before them.

Bohl has purged a lot of players with character issues, playing issues, and work ethic problems. There are 7 total seniors on this seasons team, mainly because the attirtion rate for the class was brutal, and Bohl has since then changed some issues with recruiting. I'm an NDSU diehard, I cannot stand UND for obvious reasons, but believe it or not I'm waiting desperately for your program to come around and contend on a national level. I'm sick and tired of the southeastern schools saying we can't play up here, and I know if UND gets to where there program can be they are going to think differently. It took one great recruiting class at NDSU to change things around, along with a difference in recruiting philosophy.

I obviously read differently with his comments, because I agree with him in players win the games, and you need the right players that want to win, and that starts off the field in January leading up to the season. The NDSU players now work their ass off 12 months out of the year, and the same could not be said with the players before them.

And that starts at the recruiting level. Bohl has alot to do with that. Now of course with a national title under their belt the expectations have risen considerably. No one is guaranteed a spot every week much like the Sioux hockey team. Players better work their asses off during the off season or they will have said ass sitting on the bench during the season.
  • Upvote 1

And that starts at the recruiting level. Bohl has alot to do with that. Now of course with a national title under their belt the expectations have risen considerably. No one is guaranteed a spot every week much like the Sioux hockey team. Players better work their asses off during the off season or they will have said ass sitting on the bench during the season.

Work ethic is a reflection of competition and leadership. Competition for playing time hasn't been what it should be at und the past 5 years and it shows. Now with the depth of the team either guys will bust their ass or watch a freshman play their position from the sidelines. Also there has to be alphas in the weight room and locker room to hold teammates accountable for a team to reach its potential. I hope that this next crop of fr will overtake the lazy seniors and improve the program.

• Upvote 2