SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. BOSTON U - Saturday

AZSIOUX

I don't see any reason to panic.

Of the games so far I see a very typical Sioux team that is able to make mistakes and will learn and correct them.

That is a sign of an excellent coaching system developing players throughout the process.

The BU team is a good team a tourney team and the Sioux beat them for five periods + this weekend, a split with a team like that this early is acceptable,...woulda been nice for PWR but it'll be fine.

SCSU will be a good series next weekend too, should be fun, I wish I could make it down. Fun place to watch a hockey game.

Hope parks comes back soon and if so I then hope he stacks that top line! Rowney back to center 2nd. Hope parks injury isn't that serious.

I hope he is close as well too. I saw him on Friday at the Rink and is off his crutches now.

Good sign, its alot easier to skate than walk so he must be fairly close to returning.

curious how you think it is easier to skate than walk?

Glide maybe, but certainly not skating in a D1 hockey game...stops and starts, hard turns working all 4 edges...not to mention getting hit...

curious how you think it is easier to skate than walk?

Glide maybe, but certainly not skating in a D1 hockey game...stops and starts, hard turns working all 4 edges...not to mention getting hit...

I think it's because the Canadian players who have played here all skated before they walked.

:) LOL..I'm surprised they could remember that far back, considering they were all 30

I am waiting for the day when the Gopher fans complain about Saunders being a 25 year old Canadian. Won't bother me when he leads UND to a NCAA title.

Why do the coaches (cough-Hakstol-cough) seem to think playing aggressive offensively minded hockey for 45 minutes and then trying to play trap for the last 15 minutes is a good plan?

It's not, and I can prove it.

First 45 minutes: 1 goal allowed, 2 goals scored

Last 15 minutes: 3 goals allowed, 0 goals scored

BU generated no offense when UND was playing an aggressive style.

These guys are race horses that play their best defense when they are on the offensive attack (because they are defensively responsible and they tend to have the puck on their sticks when they're aggressive); let the plow horses play trap because that's all plow horses can do.

• Upvote 3

Why do the coaches (cough-Hakstol-cough) seem to think playing aggressive offensively minded hockey for 45 minutes and then trying to play trap for the last 15 minutes is a good plan

It is tough to watch Hak's teams play the trap style. Basically they have a history of stinking at it. It's like the vaunted prevent D in FB...prevents you from winning.

Let em skate, be aggressive and take our chance that way.

Why do the coaches (cough-Hakstol-cough) seem to think playing aggressive offensively minded hockey for 45 minutes and then trying to play trap for the last 15 minutes is a good plan?

These guys are race horses that play their best defense when they are on the offensive attack (because they are defensively responsible and they tend to have the puck on their sticks when they're aggressive); let the plow horses play trap because that's all plow horses can do.

First UND

First UND goal was scored off the trap.

jeez, not complaining but how much are the Sioux missing a proven finisher like Brock Nelson right now?

Those in our section were saying the same thing this weekend. Substitute Brock for Carter and Brock gets at least 2 goals if not 3 in this past series.

Yes! these were my thoughts exactly.

When we were pushing and playing Sioux hockey, BU was bottled up and it was like we had them pinned down against the mat. And then Hak told them to try to be Wisconsin. But we aren't Wisconsin. And we let BU up off the mat.

Yes! these were my thoughts exactly.

When we were pushing and playing Sioux hockey, BU was bottled up and it was like we had them pinned down against the mat. And then Hak told them to try to be Wisconsin. But we aren't Wisconsin. And we let BU up off the mat.

I said the same thing to my son at the game saturday night. Halfway through the third they went into a defensive mode and it backfired on them. Play to win not to lose.

There was a large chunk of the 3rd period when UND was controlling the puck deep in BU's zone and generating some scoring chances. This includes shortly before the tying goal. The fact that they couldn't bury them is a bigger reason they lost. When the puck was in the Sioux D zone, they were trying to get it out quickly. Gleason made a bad mistake not clearing when he could've, and it snowballed from there.

There was a large chunk of the 3rd period when UND was controlling the puck deep in BU's zone and generating some scoring chances. This includes shortly before the tying goal. The fact that they couldn't bury them is a bigger reason they lost. When the puck was in the Sioux D zone, they were trying to get it out quickly. Gleason made a bad mistake not clearing when he could've, and it snowballed from there.

I don't know which is the bigger reason, all I know is that I saw us getting too cute and practicing our puck-chipping skills when it looked like we had better options. For this team, the best defense is a good offense, IMO.

I do wish that Gleason would've chipped it somewhere instead of giving it away down low on that goal against.

If we can learn from this loss and not make the same mistakes again, it will have been worth it

• Upvote 1

A little late on this, but I was impressed with Grimaldi's physical play. He threw a handful of big hits on Saturday night. It's nice to see that even though he's a smaller guy he doesn't shy away from contact and isn't afraid to go to the hard areas. He's quite fun to watch.

And being he is a bit shorter, no bothersome shoulder to shoulder checks misjudged as contact to the head!