SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. BOSTON U - Friday Gameday

AZSIOUX

It's his third???

Regardless Grimaldi played very well. Looked fast and has a some dandy moves. Glad he got one...even if empty netter.

I think when he gets another 6-10 games under his belt and hits his stride he is going to provide a lot of "wow" moments for this team.

Thoughts:

~When this group gets rolling and puts shifts together in succession they are fun to watch.

~Saunders was very good in the net. Made some big saves, but was very solid all night.

~Some poor defensive decisions. I love Gleason.....but why in hell is he rushing the puck with under 3 minutes left?

~Big Andy McWilliam might kill himself a Finn tomorrow.

Thought the Sioux owned the third and got better as the game went on. That was a really fun game to watch. How about UND being the more disciplined team in most games so far?

Going into tonight's game, UND and Minnesota are tied with an average of 7 PIM per game. That rnakes them tied at #58 in the nation. The two least penalized teams so far.

BU is #33.

Going into tonight's game, UND and Minnesota are tied with an average of 7 PIM per game. That rnakes them tied at #58 in the nation. The two least penalized teams so far.

BU is #33.

That has to be a first.

Of course we don't have Blood this year, he was good for 2-10 minutes a lot of games.

Now that was one of the better non conference games I have seen at the Ralph in awhile. Great atmosphere and the hits just kept on coming. I have to see that MacWilliam hit again to make a comment. From where I was sitting it looked like shoulder to shoulder but maybe not. Boys need to rest up tonight and finally come out and play a saturday night game like it's friday.

Now that was one of the better non conference games I have seen at the Ralph in awhile. Great atmosphere and the hits just kept on coming. I have to see that MacWilliam hit again to make a comment. From where I was sitting it looked like shoulder to shoulder but maybe not. Boys need to rest up tonight and finally come out and play a saturday night game like it's friday.

In my mind, tomorrow night is the real test.

Thoughts:

~When this group gets rolling and puts shifts together in succession they are fun to watch.

~Saunders was very good in the net. Made some big saves, but was very solid all night.

~Some poor defensive decisions. I love Gleason.....but why in hell is he rushing the puck with under 3 minutes left?

~Big Andy McWilliam might kill himself a Finn tomorrow.

Big Mac isn't out for tomorrow night is he?

My son was watching online and said it looked like a shoulder to shoulder on replay.

I agree with what someone posted. Tomorrow night is the real test. Too many times early in the season North Dakota wins on Friday night only to get stung on Saturday. They've got to be crisp and ready to go tomorrow night and sweep BU out of the rink.

You talk about a tenacious playoff type atmosphere at the rink. I wasn't at the game, but could feel it from my living room. Gothberg gets the nod tomorrow night, and hopefully gets the job done.

Watched the game tonite...omg, Dan Hammer could not get a name right for the Sioux...at one point my four year old said that's not Kristo, it's Rowney dad...how effing embarassing...that aside, great win by the Sioux tonite!

I don't hate Hammer. it's better than Pat reminding us 40 times a game that Marto or Mario played for Central.

I really enjoyed the game tonight. Observations:

1. One (of many) good things about NCHC next year is that a 24-game conference schedule gives us more room to play great programs like BU more often than once a decade. It is truly sad that the all time series between these two consists of just 20 games.

2. I really did love watching BU skate. They have big bodies that are strong and fast and are not afraid to dish it out. Their breakout and neutral zone systems look a lot like ours. For the first 30 minutes, if you had switched colors, you could have believed either team was BU and the other UND.

3. The last 30 minutes, after killing the major, we were all over them like white on rice. It was a joy to behold. We stuffed breakouts, we read plays, we got sticks on passes, BU really had nothing going and it was all because of a great skating TEAM effort by UND. Particularly playing without big #2. Couple times Forbort looked gassed but came right back out 45 seconds later for another shift. If we can play like we did the last 30, we will be dang difficult to beat.

4. Grimaldi is going to have one [expletive deleted!] highlight video to show to the Hobey Baker voters. WOW. Just wow. Tonight would have easily a dozen fantastic plays. His speed creates chances that others can't defend against. His passes are magical, somehow always finding the teammate. (Of course, as happened to Magic Johnson sometimes his teammates weren't ready to get the pass! and that happened half-dozen times to Rocco tonight.) His shot is sneaky fast, and he gets if off quickly. Its magnetic, so that it is attracted to iron. J/K. And he forechecks really tenaciously. Last Friday vs UAA, he didn't take PK duty, but his line was always the first out after the PK. Tonight a lot of PK and gotta say already on par with Kristo and Knight as excellent on the PK. This guy makes everyone on the ice look better, and the last Sioux that impressed me that way was Jonathan Toews. (Hennessy: "you're gonna get rich playing with Grimaldi". So true.)

5. Like Rowney with Kristo and Knight. Very effective together.

6. Like ODonnell playing with Pattyn and Chyzyk. Nice chemistry.

7. I know Hakstol has some guys that need to get in the lineup - some really excellent players in the press box - but it is hard to take anyone out after tonights performance. I did not see any passengers and that's frankly amazing against a quality opponent like BU.

8. Perhaps we bring in a little muscle to take on BU's guys that are spoiling for a fight. (?)

9. Saunders made a couple great saves early to keep us in it, including 3 back to back to back early in the second period, just before we tied it. Could have been a different game if he hadn't made those saves.

10. Other than the score, the run of play was really more like 6-2. Dominant.

11. Great atmosphere tonight. The fans were into it, even the old people sections making some noise. This is one of the things I will like about NCHC next year - the opportunity to schedule more big names, and to build some rivalries with nationally-best teams from other leagues.

Bring on Saturday! A win and we are guaranteed a slot in the NCAA's! (Well okay that's overstating it BUT going 2-0 vs an elite Hockey East power might be huge down the line.)

With all the high end talent here at UND over the years I can't think of a player that when he gets the puck on his stick in the open ice fans in the Ralph rise to their feet looking for something special to happen. I'm talking about Rocco of course. He brings a buzz to the Ralph unlike anyone I can remember since that kid who orchestred the "Circus".

I have said many times Gaarder is a poor man's Oshie. Gets to the greasy areas, plays physical and gets to where he needs to be on the ice without being a great skater.

As well as Forbort has played this year he was not good last night.

IMO Gleason is the most overlooked player on this squad.

O'Donnell is a better fit on 2nd line.

Kristo looked really good playing his off wing.

St Claire continues to impress me.

If the goal light goes off don't the refs have to review the play?? Gaarder should of had 4.

Goal light didn't go off but yet they reviewed the BU play.

Anyone have an explanation?

We were passing hat to collect bail $$$ for Hak during BU review cause he would have come over the boards to inflict damage if they would have allowed the BU goal.