SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana game

geaux_sioux

Fair analysis, but I still feel you are wrong. It is exactly those advantages that you concede that make winning a game over a BCS conference school a big deal regardless of whether or not they are having a down year.

Take for example NDSU's multiple wins over Minnesota. This is a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE deal for multiple reasons.

There is literally not a person on NDSU's roster that wasn't shunned by the U of M. Every single player on NDSU's roster would have accepted a scholarship offer from Minnesota if it were offered.

We recruit the same area, so we are beating them with players that they didn't think were good enough for their program. You see NDSU win recruiting battles over FBS schools all the time, but I have never seen NDSU win a recruiting battle with a BCS conference school. Why? Because when those schools offer a kid accepts.

Just because all of these things don't translate into winning every game doesn't mean it isn't an advantage that BCS schools have over every other school.

I honestly understand why UND fans don't think it is that big of a deal to beat U of M in football. You guys have played and beat them in hockey for many, many years. But keep in mind you are on equal footing with them in that sport. NDSU is not on equal footing with U fo M in football. So as much as you guys want to downplay beating a Big Ten team. It is a huge freaking deal.

In reputation, beating Minnesota might be a big deal. Especially to casual fans who don't have a clue about actual competition and only look at labels like BCS and FCS. In actual competition, it's obvious that FCS teams beating Minnesota isn't nearly as big a deal. For UND, beating Minnesota would be great because of the history in hockey. But the magical label of beating FBS schools that you and so many other NDSU fans seem to drool over isn't as big a deal as you think it is. Beating FBS teams, especially weak FBS teams, is like gravy on a turkey dinner. It can add a lot of flavor, but it has very little real substance. Other than some bragging rights, a victory over an FBS team doesn't count any more than a victory over Drake or any other non-scholarship DI school.

So why can't they say we are going to have replays at buildings that support it. Like UND vs Montana was on Root Sports (a major channel) easily could have had replays. If they can have replays at the REA they can sure have it at the Alerus.

You can't have replays at one game and not at all games for that level of play. It has to be equal. It wouldn't be fair to teams playing in places without replay capability.

I think it comes down to not enough camera angles if the games are not televised, and even some of the televised games don't have enough cameras to get a good look on a replay.

Wow you are really putting me in my place. Actually I do enjoy coming here and reading the asinine comments and making corrections with facts.

Calling NDSU's FBS wins overrated is petty and makes you sound like a fool.

You would probably read fewer asisnine comments on here if you stopped posting here. I'm sorry I am so tough on you. It doesn't change the fact that most of your FBS wins were against teams that ended up being not very good teams. For the most part those teams were very overrated and were not near as good as Bison fans portrayed them to be before the game was played. That is the fact. They were nice wins just not to the level you think they were.

I have no problems admitting that last year's UND team was not good at all. Our offense sucked and our defense was above average against some bad competition.

SDSU this year is significantly better than Fresno last year, yet UND hung with SDSU this year. I would like to know why you think NDSU would be able to win a game against SDSU this year.

Surely, NDSU has a better defense and would be able to hold SDSU to fewer points. However, NDSU's offense struggled against a bad FBS team and an average FCS team. Oh, sorry... I forgot every team in the MWFC is good because the CONFERENCE IS SO GOOOOOODDDD!!!

you didn't actually watch ndsu and csu, did you? I'd love to know how putting up 22 while spending the second half doing nothing but runouttheclock plays qualifies as bad offense. There is a point to the long eat up the clock drives. They keep your defense fresh, their offense off the field, and put the game closer to being over. You know, like what UND used to do when we were good. Playing Madden like UND has of late is not a good thing.

you didn't actually watch ndsu and csu, did you? I'd love to know how putting up 22 while spending the second half doing nothing but runouttheclock plays qualifies as bad offense. There is a point to the long eat up the clock drives. They keep your defense fresh, their offense off the field, and put the game closer to being over. You know, like what UND used to do when we were good. Playing Madden like UND has of late is not a good thing.

NDSU's defense is unreal - I'll admit, but don't say the ag school has a unbelievable offense too. Lets not forget the only reason the ag school is no longer undefeated is because Jenson couldnt tell who was and wasnt his teammate in the ISU game; so the ag school's offense is simply above average to good. But couple that with probably the best FCS defense and its a winning formula. Oh, and mg2009, its no secret youre solely an Ag School fan.

I wonder, if I were to create an account at bisonville.com and then proceed to refer to the Bison as "we", if I would be taken seriously... Nah, didn't think so.

That was quite the performance by Hanson and Hardin on Saturday v. Montana. Would love to see the offense continue to come together. A little more from the running game would be nice, but take what the d gives you. At some point though, the defense has to play with passion. They are reading the blogs, stories, and hearing the talk about them. Go out there guys and prove you're better than that.

NDSU's defense is unreal - I'll admit, but don't say the ag school has a unbelievable offense too. Lets not forget the only reason the ag school is no longer undefeated is because Jenson couldnt tell who was and wasnt his teammate in the ISU game; so the ag school's offense is simply above average to good. But couple that with probably the best FCS defense and its a winning formula. Oh, and mg2009, its no secret youre solely an Ag School fan.

I will break it down further. NDSU controls the tempo of the game on offense and their defense gets on and off the field in a hurry.

In adding these up I was a little surprised by the results but that could be because my mind was a little skewed by our last couple games, What I mean by that is there was over 180 snaps in the Montana game.

For the season NDSU averages 69.9 plays a game on offense and averages 6.19 yards per snap(4,95 per rush and 8.12 per pass) while UND has averaged 69.8 plays per game and averages 6.78 yards per snap(4.59 per rush and 8.89 per pass).....so saying NDSU offense isn't good is a stretch, they might not seem as dynamic as UND and yes their D puts them in nice position alot but they are pretty efficient.

Defense is a completely different story. NDSU defense is only on the field an average of 51.3 plays per game and only gives up 4.18 per play(3.24 per rush and 5.36 per pass)....that is filthy good. UND defense is on the field an average of 71.13 plays per game and gives up an average of 6.37 per play(5.46 per rush and 7.56 per pass). when you throw in the fact that NDSU is undoubtably deeper depth wise(allowing them to be fresher) than UND is currently and on the field 20 less snaps a game......

It is obvious we need to be able to control the clock a little better on offense until we build some defensive depth.

I started to move all of the UND-FU posts to the UND-FU rivalry thread, but then I realized that it would be like 5 pages and 114 posts so I got lazy and decided to leave them here......................

Here's my take:

North Dakota has undoubtedly played a much tougher schedule this season than has Fargo.

Fargo has undoubtedly a much better football team this season than does North Dakota.

• Upvote 1

As someone who sees MWC teams in and out every week, I think it's comical you put SDSu in the same category as Idaho and Fresno State. Fresno is up this year but compared to last year's team SDSU is significantly better than Fresno was.

UND lost by 8 to SDSU, one of 6 teams to not only beat but dominate CSU. Yet you still don't feel that UND would be able to beat CSU this year? The same UND who handled Sacramento State, who also beat the only team CSU won. I'm not big on comparing scores but so far the only reason you've shown that UND wouldn't have beat CSU is because UND hasn't won a game against an FBS team.

THIS. I can confirm this because I see the same teams on a regular basis as well. SDSU is no cupcake and it looks like they are starting to click. For those who don't know they just went in to 6-1 Nevada and came out with the win.

BTW CSU and CU are both terrible teams this year; not even top 25 FCS.

Bison fans love throw the "you haven't won an FBS game yet" thing at UND all the time..do you guys do that to Jackrabbit fans to since they haven't beaten an FBS team either? Of course you cannot say NDSU plays tougher FBS teams than the Jacks.

thats why i've been to the last three UND homegames....

Then say something positive about their team for the first time. Back handed compliments dont count. You are very quick to defend SU on here...we know that much. UND just threw for 660 yards. Any thoughts?

Bison fans love throw the "you haven't won an FBS game yet" thing at UND all the time..do you guys do that to Jackrabbit fans to since they haven't beaten an FBS team either? Of course you cannot say NDSU plays tougher FBS teams than the Jacks.

Actually UND fans complain more about not winning a FBS game than anyone.

UND defense is on the field an average of 71.13 plays per game and gives up an average of 6.37 per play(5.46 per rush and 7.56 per pass). when you throw in the fact that NDSU is undoubtably deeper depth wise(allowing them to be fresher) than UND is currently and on the field 20 less snaps a game......

This is really surprising to me. It seems like most teams score an 80 yard touchdown on their first play against our defense each drive, which you'd think would result in fewer total plays in the game.