SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

You're missing the point. They average 14,000+ fans at games. UND averages 14,000+ fans at games. Ohio is a bigger market and likely to have far more casual fans.

It's nothing personal, nor any type of shot at UND, but fact is OSU is a bigger national brand. And yes, that even matters for hockey (even if less than other sports).

I would bet top dollar a UND vs UM outdoor game, nationally televised, would draw over double the tv viewers than an OSU vs UM game. Half the "attendance" at blue jackets games are simply there for social entertainment reasons not because of their dire passion for blue jacket hockey. I also would bet that a small % of those blue jacket fans are die hard buckeye hockey fans. The state is much bigger that is the obvious (and only) reason for more USA hockey members.

The only potential viewers that will watch a nationally televised college hockey game are college hockey fans. Plain and simple; sorry fellow hockey fans our sport is 4th in the food chain and soccer is catching up fast. So who has the best college hockey fanbase...we do.

I would bet top dollar a UND vs UM outdoor game, nationally televised, would draw over double the tv viewers than an OSU vs UM game. Half the "attendance" at blue jackets games are simply there for social entertainment reasons not because of their dire passion for blue jacket hockey. I also would bet that a small % of those blue jacket fans are die hard buckeye hockey fans. The state is much bigger that is the obvious (and only) reason for more USA hockey members.

The only potential viewers that will watch a nationally televised college hockey game are college hockey fans. Plain and simple; sorry fellow hockey fans our sport is 4th in the food chain and soccer is catching up fast. So who has the best college hockey fanbase...we do.

I see no facts to substantiate anything you said. I know this isn't the most scientific approach to measuring interest (the non-casual variety), but it's certainly more than you offered.

There are currently 40 people browsing the Bluejackets board on HFBoards and 64 people browsing the Wild board. Hardly a substantial difference. Are you suggesting the majority of people who attend Wild games are just there for the social experience?

That is going to be put to the test. Both in GF and Dinkytown. If your base can stay interested in the NHCA or whatever it is, I'll be impressed. I'm already losing interest in the Big10.

I'd bet money comes into play as well. With a Gophers/UND or Gophs/UW there would be arguments about the gate. Since OSU has no fans, it's a short discussion. Add to that your arguments and OSU will get as much outdoor action as they can handle.

I knew a Gopher voice of reason could be found in the wilderness somewhere...very valid point, sagard.

That is going to be put to the test. Both in GF and Dinkytown. If your base can stay interested in the NHCA or whatever it is, I'll be impressed. I'm already losing interest in the Big10.

UND has games against other hockey programs that are actually good. We'll have non-conference games against Wisconsin next year and there will be a "come to jesus meeting" with Minnesota soon to right that wrong. The competition UND will be facing doesn't worry me nearly as much as the reduction in national TV coverage caused by the NCHC's ridiculous contract with CBS Sports.

UND has games against other hockey programs that are actually good. We'll have non-conference games against Wisconsin next year and there will be a "come to jesus meeting" with Minnesota soon to right that wrong. The competition UND will be facing doesn't worry me nearly as much as the reduction in national TV coverage caused by the NCHC's ridiculous contract with CBS Sports.

UND will be fine.

And it's official, Vannelli has left the Gophers - http://www.gopherspo.../091713aaa.html

He couldn't balance school/athletics

Wow, I'm surprised that Lucia would say this:

“After a few weeks of trying to balance academics and athletics, Tommy made the decision this morning that college hockey was not the best route for him at this time,” Lucia said.

As a coach/adult/professional, wouldn't you normally just leave it at "He has left the program due to personal reasons" and move on? Nothing like dragging the kid's dirty laundry out in public, Donny!

You don't get it. Does UND teach marketing? This has nothing to do with the strenghth of OSU's hockey program but you keep acting like it does. The average sports fan has no clue if OSU is good or bad at hockey. Let me ask you this question. Why did Wisconsin play Ohio State at Lambeau? OSU's hockey prgraman isn't very good. They're in different hockey conferences(at the time). So why did they pick OSU?

I'll say that Winsonsin who happen to host the Hall of Fame Game that year decided to do something different and play it outdoors. If Ohio State is such a name brand in hockey why wasn't it televised nationally? The reason Michigan played Ohio State in an outdoor game is because they are rivals in football and basketball. Now getting the casual Ohio State fan to watch the game against Minnesota may not be as high as some think, due to the Ohio State at Minnesota basketball game is on the night before on ESPN 2.

Has absolutely nothing to do with the possibility of losing the game. That's utter nonsense that you aren't going to be able to substantiate. In fact, it's the kind of utter nonsense that makes the other point you made (which was very well thought out and probably pretty true) get lost.

If you're suggesting I won't be able to find a quote from Lucia that OSU was scheduled because they're a cupcake, you're probably right.

By the way, I don't fault MN one bit for choosing OSU. Like I said before, it probably has to be a conference game because of the timing. I wouldn't want to lose conference points just because the school wants to hold a novelty event. If UND decided to do an outdoor game these past couple of years, I would have preferred it be BSU instead of MN.

I just don't buy the whole "we chose OSU because of their huge fan base" theory. You are absolutely correct that they are a name brand, nationwide, and have hundreds of thousand, if not millions of ardent backers of the University. But they still don't go to or watch OSU hockey games.

Wow, I'm surprised that Lucia would say this:

As a coach/adult/professional, wouldn't you normally just leave it at "He has left the program due to personal reasons" and move on? Nothing like dragging the kid's dirty laundry out in public, Donny!

It was public knowledge that he had trouble academically and was close to not clearing NCAA clearinghouse. And doesn't sound like the kid has too big of an issue with Lucia's statement. College isn't for everyone. Nothing wrong or disparaging about that.

If you're suggesting I won't be able to find a quote from Lucia that OSU was scheduled because they're a cupcake, you're probably right.

By the way, I don't fault MN one bit for choosing OSU. Like I said before, it probably has to be a conference game because of the timing. I wouldn't want to lose conference points just because the school wants to hold a novelty event. If UND decided to do an outdoor game these past couple of years, I would have preferred it be BSU instead of MN.

I just don't buy the whole "we chose OSU because of their huge fan base" theory. You are absolutely correct that they are a name brand, nationwide, and have hundreds of thousand, if not millions of ardent backers of the University. But they still don't go to or watch OSU hockey games.

I'm sure we'll never know. And for the record, I would have liked to see them play UND over OSU too. I'm just playing devil's advocate here :)

I bet if you asked a OSU student if they had a hockey team, they'd probably look at you silly...

I'm sure we'll never know. And for the record, I would have liked to see them play UND over OSU too. I'm just playing devil's advocate here :)

wouldn't he know going in what the expectations were in going to college? hate seeing guys leave this late in the game.

And it's official, Vannelli has left the Gophers - http://www.gopherspo.../091713aaa.html

He couldn't balance school/athletics

I don't care if it's common knowledge or not, no matter what the circumstance, I doubt you'd ever hear Dave Hakstol make a quote like Lucia did. Just another example of why players will skate through a cement wall for Hak and Lucia's players won't skate through a paper wall for him.

MNStateofHockey said

" the big brand names of Minnesota and Ohio State are going to draw in more viewers"

This was funny...now not only is OSU a big draw, but that powerhouse MN is a big brand name! Name in what?

There is that self proclaimed "King" attitude you and your fan base have. But usually the King has the most of something........Championships maybe? Oh yes, runner up banners....

• Upvote 1