SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

It's very disingenuous of you to look at percent of capacity filled. They play in one of if not the biggest arena in the country. You continue to rip their attendance levels when in fact they average over 4k per game which was 19th in the nation last year. They average more fans per game than Miami of Ohio and Western Michigan and only 400 less than SCSU, all 3 are NCHC teams. So while you continue to denegrade the Big Ten hockey conference based on OSU's attendance maybe you should start looking at your own conferences putrid attendance numbers.

Yeah how dare I bring that up eh? They don't draw worth a crap, their not worthy of their own arena... Wow! meaning, they're not a big deal. For four seasons of play they averaged 4026, that's pathetic. very AHA like numbers.

You mean very NCHC type attendance numbers? Because they're right on par with Miami(OH), W. Michigan, and SCSU.

Which should be even MORE embarrasssing for a school like Ohio State, wouldn't you think? Columbus is a major metropolitan area, unlike Oxford, Kalamazoo, and St Cloud.

http://www.stadiumjo...er-s1113/images

Now, contrast those pictures of Ohio State hockey vs this...

800px-Univ_Michigan_ice_hockey.jpg

Which should be even MORE embarrasssing for a school like Ohio State, wouldn't you think? Columbus is a major metropolitan area, unlike Oxford, Kalamazoo, and St Cloud.

No because at those schools the hockey team is top dog where as at OSU it's probably 4th most popular sport on campus after football, basketball, and women's basketball. And yet they still outdraw a couple teams from the NCHC.

Here's the last four seasons of their attendance. I don’t see it all of a sudden improving, there’s no evidence to support your argument. Face facts, there just isn’t any interest in OSU Hockey. Just because your say something 100 times doesn’t mean you win an argument. I have facts to back up my argument.

19 Ohio State 18 72,066 4,004 17,500 22.9

14 Ohio State 16 82,854 5,178 17,500 29.6

18 Ohio State 17 65,093 3,829 17,500 21.9

24 Ohio State 20 61,913 3,096 17,500 17.7

Thats' an average of 23.025 percent full.

What is their attenance while in the new Big Ten Conference?

Not sure how you can possibly weigh in on the impact conference realignment will have for them when we haven't even played a game in the new conferences yet.

Look at OSU's attendance in games against Michigan and Michigan State last year. Much better than it was against Bowling Green and Ferris State. Are you suggesting it won't be better for home games against Minnesota and Wisconsin than it was for teams like BG and Ferris?

Not sure how you can possibly weigh in on the impact conference realignment will have for them when we haven't even played a game in the new conferences yet.

Look at OSU's attendance in games against Michigan and Michigan State last year. Much better than it was against Bowling Green and Ferris State. Are you suggesting it won't be better for home games against Minnesota and Wisconsin than it was for teams like BG and Ferris?

Exactly. Why would an OSU fan have any interest in watching them play Northern Michigan or Lake State? There is no doubt their numbers should improve with more recognizable opponents which the Big Ten will provide.

Blah, blah, blah... It's can't be all that great if they only averaged 4026 for four seasons.

http://www.stadiumjo...er-s1113/images

Now, contrast those pictures of Ohio State hockey vs this...

Yes, it is. OSU has 56k students and over 1 million people in the Columbus area. Miami has under 15k students and around 5k Oxford residents. Are we really sure Miami is the best benchmark here? :silly:

But to make it more embarrassing, half the people in those pictures are Miami fans.

• Upvote 4

Yes, it is. OSU has 56k students and over 1 million people in the Columbus area. Miami has under 15k students and around 5k Oxford residents. Are we really sure Miami is the best benchmark here? :silly:

But to make it more embarrassing, half the people in those pictures are Miami fans.

Miami would sell more seats if their arena was bigger as well.

If I'm not mistaken Michigan and Michigan State are rivals of The Ohio State University in other, more followed sports then hockey.

I am sure Mariucci checked that out before he blurted that out. Not!

Umm yes I did check the national attendance records Einstein. Where the hell do you think Im pulling these numbers from? They're 19th in the nation ahead of 2 schools from your conference. In all my years of message boards Ive never come across anyone who's posts are so easy to pick apart and destroy like Goon's. It's like arguing with a 5 year old.

No because at those schools the hockey team is top dog where as at OSU it's probably 4th most popular sport on campus after football, basketball, and women's basketball. And yet they still outdraw a couple teams from the NCHC.

WRONG! OSU women's basketball drew an average of 3,849 fans at each of their 18 home games last season...

http://fs.ncaa.org/D...ttend/13att.pdf

43,000 students on campus...and you're trying to suggest that three schools whose combined undergrad enrollment is about 6,000 more than that have poor attendance as compared to the mighty Buckeyes?

WRONG! OSU women's basketball drew an average of 3,849 fans at each of their 18 home games last season...

http://fs.ncaa.org/D...ttend/13att.pdf

43,000 students on campus...and you're trying to suggest that three schools whose combined undergrad enrollment is about 6,000 more than that should have poor attendance as compared to the mighty Buckeyes?

Umm no Im not and I never did. Im simply looking at attendance numbers and the fact that OSU is 19th out of 56 schools shows its not as bad as people think.

Hmnnnn....muhawks...that wouldn't be Miami of Ohio RedHawks, would it? :lol:

I personally like Miami hockey and Enrico Palazzo Blasi. Still can't believe they lost the title game to BU the way they did...

Umm no Im not and I never did. Im simply looking at attendance numbers and the fact that OSU is 19th out of 56 schools shows its not as bad as people think.

The only reason OSU hockey will draw better this year will be because Gopher and Badger fans will occupy what previously used to be empty seats...

All this time on SiouxSports.com, Mariucci, and I couldn't even talk you into buying one of those snazzy winter hats in your beloved Gopher colors?

• Upvote 1

Umm yes I did check the national attendance records Einstein. Where the hell do you think Im pulling these numbers from? They're 19th in the nation ahead of 2 schools from your conference. In all my years of message boards Ive never come across anyone who's posts are so easy to pick apart and destroy like Goon's. It's like arguing with a 5 year old.

Now you're projecting Skippy. You’re trying to come off like you’re some kind of a genius, but no matter how you look at it 19th for a school the size of OSU is pathetic no matter how you slice it, and they're big ten school and all they can draw is 4,000, yet were told that they're a bigger deal than say a UND which averages 10,500 per game and led the NCAA in attendance last season. You brought up SCSU, who's a very small school. You’ve got nothing.

Hmnnnn....muhawks...that wouldn't be Miami of Ohio RedHawks, would it? :lol:

I personally like Miami hockey and Enrico Palazzo Blasi. Still can't believe they lost the title game to BU the way they did...

Oh noes, I've been discovered!

OSU attendance will absolutely increase quite a bit this year along with the B1G, but like it's been noted, hockey is 4th/5th/6th fiddle in Columbus. Hockey games are something to take the kids to because tickets are $5, concessions are reasonable, and basketball games are sold out. The crowd starts filtering out after the 2nd period and with the exception of Michigan (they'd get rowdy to watch OSU play Michigan in pogs) and Miami (nearby game for a large number of our grads) the place is utterly dead.

Now you're projecting Skippy. You’re trying to come off like you’re some kind of a genius, but no matter how you look at it 19th for a school the size of OSU is pathetic no matter how you slice it, and they're big ten school and all they can draw is 4,000, yet were told that they're a bigger deal than say a UND which averages 10,500 per game and led the NCAA in attendance last season. You brought up SCSU, who's a very small school. You’ve got nothing.

Wrong Goon. Not once did I or anyone else say OSU is a bigger deal than UND, not once. You make up straw man arguments and then argue against something that was never there.

Oh noes, I've been discovered!

OSU attendance will absolutely increase quite a bit this year along with the B1G, but like it's been noted, hockey is 4th/5th/6th fiddle in Columbus. Hockey games are something to take the kids to because tickets are $5, concessions are reasonable, and basketball games are sold out. The crowd starts filtering out after the 2nd period and with the exception of Michigan (they'd get rowdy to watch OSU play Michigan in pogs) and Miami (nearby game for a large number of our grads) the place is utterly dead.

The avatar will give it away too. I'm not sure how long you've been hanging around here, but I, for one, always enjoy reading opinions and thoughts from fans of other teams. Welcome!