SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

Please explain. I never read about that at the time, but now I'm curious....

I heard this from someone 'in the know' a long time ago...supposedly after it was announced that ZP was heading to Grand Forks, Lou Nanne and and very ticked-off Glen Sonmoor immediately made a short drive to Faribault under the old 'family visit' schtick to try to talk ZP out of his decision. A day later, a certain coach whose name I won't divulge here (but it rhymes with Lean Phrase) called Don Lucia and told him to call off the dogs.

On the 10:00 pm MSP news last night, one of the local sportscasters (sorry, I don't pay particular attention to the news station - I tend to bounce around, I think it was Mark Rosen) brings up the Gopher/Ohio State outdoor game...and promptly blasts the decision saying 'wouldn't it be nice to have NORTH DAKOTA or St Cloud or the Duluth Bulldogs come to town instead?'. Ba-zing!

It makes zero sense to stage a large event such as this where you are looking for national exposure and then schedule a school like UMD, SCSU, or yes even UND. Obviously UND is as well known as it gets in the college hockey world but thats where it ends. OSU or Michigan were the obvious choices.

It makes zero sense to stage a large event such as this where you are looking for national exposure and then schedule a school like UMD, SCSU, or yes even UND. Obviously UND is as well known as it gets in the college hockey world but thats where it ends. OSU or Michigan were the obvious choices.

C'mon, Mariucci, Michigan State and Penn State are as well known as Michigan and Ohio State...

And, please, tell me more about 'national exposure' when this year's hockey schedule is already overloaded with outdoor games. It's like baseball played under the lights or college football special jersey games...

EDIT: Michigan State and Penn State IS as well known as Michigan and Ohio State? REALLY? D'oh.

Edited by MafiaMan

Lol this is the best explanation I mean excuse you got? Most people don't even know Ohio State has a hockey team! Hell, just look at their attendance at home games. OSU students don't even know!

National exposure and Ohio State hockey....haha! Funny.

Also, if I recall UND hockey games were the highest watched games for the NBC Sports Network. Trumping games of Michigan and Notre Dame that they aired. I mean come on dude. It's bloody hockey that we are talking about!

• Upvote 1

I can't believe that some people shovel this B.S. and think that OSU is some how a better opponent than UND...Whatever makes you feel good. Yeah, OSU is known for football and scandals, not hockey.

You can not be serious you just can't be. If you believe that Minnesota vs UND would draw a larger national tv audience than 2 Big Ten schools than you have an unbelievably inflated sense of your schools national reputation. Let me clue you in on your schools national reputation. THERE ISN'T ONE.

You and Siouxfanatic couldn't be more wrong on this issue if you tried. And explain this. Why did Wisconsin play Ohio State at Lambeau?

I'll say it again. When you throw an event for the purpose of national exposure, you get 2 nationally known schools, therefore UND isn't even an option. This isn't rocket science. And Siouxfanatic, its not about OSU's hockey program. It's about their brand.

It's pretty simple:

Hockey-wise, I'm sure OSU wouldn't make the short list of desirable opponents for this game.

Exposure-wise, the OSU brand may draw in more casual fans - hopefully from their own school. I'm pretty sure there are way more "untapped resources" as far as potential college hockey fans in the OSU alumni base than in the UND alumni base. We're pretty much all indoctrinated into college hockey fandom as soon as we step on campus.

You can not be serious you just can't be. If you believe that Minnesota vs UND would draw a larger national tv audience than 2 Big Ten schools than you have an unbelievably inflated sense of your schools national reputation. Let me clue you in on your schools national reputation. THERE ISN'T ONE.

You and Siouxfanatic couldn't be more wrong on this issue if you tried. And explain this. Why did Wisconsin play Ohio State at Lambeau?

I'll say it again. When you throw an event for the purpose of national exposure, you get 2 nationally known schools, therefore UND isn't even an option. This isn't rocket science. And Siouxfanatic, its not about OSU's hockey program. It's about their brand.

Was the Wisconsin vs. Ohio State game even televised? The big question is, who would you rather see Minnesota play outdoors Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin or would you rather see Minnesota play UND? Wisconsin would at least bring fans to help fill TCF Bank Stadium as would UND. I think that Minnesota wants to play a team that they can beat instead of a team that can beat them. It would be embarrassing to lose this outdoor game to Ohio State.

Was the Wisconsin vs. Ohio State game even televised? The big question is, who would you rather see Minnesota play outdoors Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin or would you rather see Minnesota play UND?

No, that's not the big question. The big question is, who will bring more national exposure. The Ohio State University or UND? The answer to that question is obvious.

No, that's not the big question. The big question is, who will bring more national exposure. The Ohio State University or UND? The answer to that question is obvious.

If the name of the game was national hockey exposure at the college level, wouldn't it make more sense for Ohio State to be playing Notre Dame instead of a regional team like Minnesota? :lol: After all, most folks have at least heard of Ohio State and Notre Dame when it comes to football. Those same folks are only vaguely aware of Minnesota still being in the Big 10 football conference.

• Upvote 1

If the name of the game was national hockey exposure at the college level, wouldn't it make more sense for Ohio State to be playing Notre Dame instead of a regional team like Minnesota? :lol: After all, most folks have at least heard of Ohio State and Notre Dame when it comes to football. Those same folks are only vaguely aware of Minnesota still being in the Big 10 football conference.

MafiaMan beat me to the punch. Saves me a response though. Gopher fans think UMTC is big time yet most folks nationally aren't even aware of them either!

Let me know how that "national exposure" works out after the college hockey game is played, Mariucci. I'm sure it is going to do wonders. :silly:

MafiaMan beat me to the punch. Saves me a response though. Gopher fans think UMTC is big time yet most folks nationally aren't even aware of them either!

Let me know how that "national exposure" works out after the college hockey game is played, Mariucci. I'm sure it is going to do wonders. :silly:

Mariucci can't argue the 'big picture' atmosphere of the men's game while the women's team is busy playing regional Mankato State in the warm-up gig...

Over/under on attendance for that barn-burner: 2,000

true. I do think BTN televising the game does throw some of the 'national' reputation stuff out the window. did 'national' reputation get college game day to travel to Fargo next saturday? i suppose they got the show because of their 2-1 record against the gophers. ;)

• Upvote 1

true. I do think BTN televising the game does throw some of the 'national' reputation stuff out the window. did 'national' reputation get college game day to travel to Fargo next saturday? i suppose they got the show because of their 2-1 record against the gophers. ;)

I think everyone is pretty sick of the Alabama/Notre Dame/Oregon/Georgia/FloridaMichigan/USC/LSU road trips...kudos to ESPN for going off the grid on next week's show.

Every school in the Big Ten is nationally known, just a fact. And Im not slamming UND in the least. Im simply saying from a marketing standpoint UM vs OSU is bigger than UM vs UND. Locally UM vs UND would be much bigger, I fully admit that.

Every school in the Big Ten is nationally known, just a fact. And Im not slamming UND in the least. Im simply saying from a marketing standpoint UM vs OSU is bigger than UM vs UND. Locally UM vs UND would be much bigger, I fully admit that.

We'll never know, but I would bet the farm that a BTN Miinnesota/North Dakota game would get better TV ratings nationally than Minnesota/Ohio State would. The Ohio State spring football game gathers more TV interest in Columbus than anything Buckeye 'Pride on Ice' can hope to ever attain.

• Upvote 1

Just a little tidbit about the NCHC "deal" with the CBS Sports Network. CBS Sports Network announced that they will cover two Atlantic hockey games. That means Army will have two games nationally televised so far, one on CBS Sports network and one on the Big 10 network. That means they have one more game televised than Omaha nationally. Penn State has six games nationally televised on Big 10, while North Dakota gets 7 on the CBS Sports Network. Great negotiating for that "exclusive" deal with the CBS Sports Network. Trust me, I love that there is more college hockey being shown, but the deal the NCHC got was horrible considering everything that went along with it.