SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

We'll never know, but I would bet the farm that a BTN Miinnesota/North Dakota game would get better TV ratings nationally than Minnesota/Ohio State would. The Ohio State spring football game gathers more TV interest in Columbus than anything Buckeye 'Pride on Ice' can hope to ever attain.

I just think the average sports fan across the country is more likely to tune in if they see Ohio State is involved as opposed to UND.

IMO, outdoor hockey isn't what's going to make the casual fan start watching hockey on tv so the entire premise of Mariucci's argument is moot. Hockey is already a tough sell on tv (it just doesn't translate well) and playing against a BAD team on BAD ice in an EMPTY stadium isn't going to help. Outdoor hockey is a gimmick that gets people's attention for a few minutes and after they see the empty stadium and poor play, they'll change the channel. If they saw a fuller stadium and two teams and fanbases that loathe eachother, they might stick around.

I just think the average sports fan across the country is more likely to tune in if they see Ohio State is involved as opposed to UND.

The average sports fan isn't likely to tune in at all, and if they do they'll change the channel soon after. By scheduling UND, UM and the BTN would've guaranteed themselves at least a decent (by hockey standards) following.

You can not be serious you just can't be. If you believe that Minnesota vs UND would draw a larger national tv audience than 2 Big Ten schools than you have an unbelievably inflated sense of your schools national reputation. Let me clue you in on your schools national reputation. THERE ISN'T ONE.

You and Siouxfanatic couldn't be more wrong on this issue if you tried. And explain this. Why did Wisconsin play Ohio State at Lambeau?

I'll say it again. When you throw an event for the purpose of national exposure, you get 2 nationally known schools, therefore UND isn't even an option. This isn't rocket science. And Siouxfanatic, its not about OSU's hockey program. It's about their brand.

Your comment couldn't be more clueless. OSU gets what four thousand for game, if we count the ushers and help. To suggest that UND isn't a national power is also clueless. And UND is more known that OSU in hockey. I guarantee that there would be a bigger crowd for UMN vs. UND than the later less attractive option. No one is believing what your shoveling.

We'll never know, but I would bet the farm that a BTN Miinnesota/North Dakota game would get better TV ratings nationally than Minnesota/Ohio State would. The Ohio State spring football game gathers more TV interest in Columbus than anything Buckeye 'Pride on Ice' can hope to ever attain.

Bingo...

IMO, outdoor hockey isn't what's going to make the casual fan start watching hockey on tv so the entire premise of Mariucci's argument is moot. Hockey is already a tough sell on tv (it just doesn't translate well) and playing against a BAD team on BAD ice in an EMPTY stadium isn't going to help. Outdoor hockey is a gimmick that gets people's attention for a few minutes and after they see the empty stadium and poor play, they'll change the channel. If they saw a fuller stadium and two teams and fanbases that loathe eachother, they might stick around.

The average sports fan isn't likely to tune in at all, and if they do they'll change the channel soon after. By scheduling UND, UM and the BTN would've guaranteed themselves at least a decent (by hockey standards) following.

Empty Stadium? They're expecting a sell out of 50K. And you're just wrong when you say that scheduling UND would've guaranteed a decent following. This is the first outdoor hockey event in this states history therefore EVERY Minnesota hockey fan will be watching regardless of the opponent. So the next question is what opponent will generate more interest outside of Minnesota? It's certainly not a school like UND compared to any Big Ten school.

Your comment couldn't be more clueless. OSU gets what four thousand for game, if we count the ushers and help. To suggest that UND isn't a national power is also clueless. And UND is more known that OSU in hockey. I guarantee that there would be a bigger crowd for UMN vs. UND than the later less attractive option. No one is believing what your shoveling.

You, as always are missing the point. And when the hell did I suggest UND isn't a national power in hockey? And this is NOT about Ohio States hockey program its about their national brand. The idea that UND, im sorry but it's a small school with a tiny following, will garner the same interest as The Ohio State University is just crazy. If you can't see why than you are delusional.

So what about this particular outdoor game will make this more appealing to the casual OSU hockey fan as opposed to the last two times the Buckeyes played outdoors?

So the next question is what opponent will generate more interest outside of Minnesota? It's certainly not a school like UND compared to any Big Ten school.

BTN is not even available to anyone outside the BTN footprint, except by paying for it. I'll buy the multi-sports pak from dish for HE and other games, but could care less if they include BTN in the package. So fans of SEC football are going to pay to get BTN so they can watch MN and tOSU play hockey. What a crock.

Empty Stadium? They're expecting a sell out of 50K. And you're just wrong when you say that scheduling UND would've guaranteed a decent following. This is the first outdoor hockey event in this states history therefore EVERY Minnesota hockey fan will be watching regardless of the opponent. So the next question is what opponent will generate more interest outside of Minnesota? It's certainly not a school like UND compared to any Big Ten school.

Of course it'll be a sell-out! It would sell-out if the Gophers were playing St Thomas Academy or Edina - that was never in doubt. If NoDak was on the docket, there would be viewing parties involving Sioux fans at bars all across the country. Instead, 1,500 viewers in Columbus will turn on BTN and say 'hey, what are the Buckeyes doing outside in this cold weather?'.

Of course it'll be a sell-out! It would sell-out if the Gophers were playing St Thomas Academy or Edina - that was never in doubt. If NoDak was on the docket, there would be viewing parties involving Sioux fans at bars all across the country. Instead, 1,500 viewers in Columbus will turn on BTN and say 'hey, what are the Buckeyes doing outside in this cold weather?'.

You, as always are missing the point. And when the hell did I suggest UND isn't a national power in hockey? And this is NOT about Ohio States hockey program its about their national brand. The idea that UND, im sorry but it's a small school with a tiny following, will garner the same interest as The Ohio State University is just crazy. If you can't see why than you are delusional.

"Tiny following"???? compared to Ohio State's hockey following, I think not. FB following, of course yes. I really don't think Buckeye fans in general will care much about a sport they don't understand anyway. Geez.

Blah, blah, blah... You're the one that's delusional.

Right, and a football game between Duke and Kansas is compelling because of their national brands.

• Upvote 1

Right, and a football game between Duke and Kansas is compelling because of their national brands.

This is the point that Mariucci doesn't get. You cannot treat hockey like football or basketball, they are different animals. And I am sorry, but slathering BTN lipstick on this pig won't make it look any nicer. If Ohio State had a national powerhouse hockey program, I might even tune in and watch it. But they don't, so that makes this match-up an overrated, overhyped spectacle.

Enjoy your time in Big Ten Hockey Hell. I, for one, am glad UND is a part of a strong conference, top to bottom, the NCHC.

• Upvote 2

BTN is not even available to anyone outside the BTN footprint, except by paying for it. I'll buy the multi-sports pak from dish for HE and other games, but could care less if they include BTN in the package. So fans of SEC football are going to pay to get BTN so they can watch MN and tOSU play hockey. What a crock.

Don't forget, though, that footprint is about to expand and take over New York/Maryland/New Jersey and possibly more of those eastern states next year.

This is the point that Mariucci doesn't get. You cannot treat hockey like football or basketball, they are different animals. And I am sorry, but slathering BTN lipstick on this pig won't make it look any nicer. If Ohio State had a national powerhouse hockey program, I might even tune in and watch it. But they don't, so that makes this match-up an overrated, overhyped spectacle.

Enjoy your time in Big Ten Hockey Hell. I, for one, am glad UND is a part of a strong conference, top to bottom, the NCHC.

You don't get it. Does UND teach marketing? This has nothing to do with the strenghth of OSU's hockey program but you keep acting like it does. The average sports fan has no clue if OSU is good or bad at hockey. Let me ask you this question. Why did Wisconsin play Ohio State at Lambeau? OSU's hockey prgraman isn't very good. They're in different hockey conferences(at the time). So why did they pick OSU?

You don't get it. Does UND teach marketing? This has nothing to do with the strenghth of OSU's hockey program but you keep acting like it does. The average sports fan has no clue if OSU is good or bad at hockey. Let me ask you this question. Why did Wisconsin play Ohio State at Lambeau? OSU's hockey prgraman isn't very good. They're in different hockey conferences(at the time). So why did they pick OSU?

You don't get it. The average sports fan is going to see that hockey is on and skip to the next channel.

I do know that Fox College Sports has some of their best ratings when North Dakota is playing, and they play Boston College, Notre Dame and a lot more of the "Big" name schools.