SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

Unfortunately for your argument, the Ohio number is closer to 1 in 100 and most of those are Penguins fans who don't care about college hockey. As for whether or not OSU fans will tune in for the game...... they won't.

Well, 14,430 people in Ohio were registered for hockey last year while only 5,315 people in North Dakota were. So, while the ratio for Ohio might not be 1/10 it is equally if not more likely North Dakota isn't anywhere near 9/10 either.

Bottom line. Ohio is much bigger. OSU's student body and alum base is much bigger. Passionate fans or not, they have the potential to bring in more viewers if the opponent is right.

You really are suffering from Delusions of Gradeur. OSU has had a hockey team for how long, never did anything, and now all of a sudden, they're going to rise from the ashes and have a huge following... History doesn't back up that statement. Now, if it's football, OSU is good with winning and scandals.

Hahaha... It simply amazes me how many times something has to be explained to you before you understand.

OSU doesn't need to have a passionate fan base in order to pull in more viewers than UND.

I don't think I can explain it in any simpler terms than I did above.

Boils down to: A big % of a little isn't always more than a small % of a lot.

If 9 out of every 10 people in North Dakota's roughly 700,000 population is a hockey fan and 1 out of every 10 people in Ohio's roughly 10 million population is a hockey fan, who has more fans? Here's a hint: It isn't North Dakota.

We're going to need to see a link, because you just pulled those stats out of your ass. I would say 12 - 3/4 of the UND fan base no longer lives in the state of ND. So, what you just said there is fluff or filler.

"60% of the time, it works every time"

• Upvote 1

Little hockey talk, anyone surprise that UW Is picked ahead of umtc? Not that it matters much but didn't see that. I have minny winning this conf with mich, uw behind them. BC and Lowell out east and Mankato in the WCHA

I guess I'm not too surprised considering the rosters coming back for this year. Tough to pick the Gophers winning a league after they lose Bjugstad, Schmidt, Alt, Budish, Haula, etc.

I guess I'm not too surprised considering the rosters coming back for this year. Tough to pick the Gophers winning a league after they lose Bjugstad, Schmidt, Alt, Budish, Haula, etc.

I think UW should be the favorite, but I think a little too much has been made of the % of returning scoring they are bringing back too. They are bringing back roughly 80% of their scoring, but they were 33rd in the NCAA in scoring last year. Minnesota lost a lot of scoring, but were 1st in the NCAA in scoring. The disparity in returning scoring is what? 15 goals. People forget that Minnesota isn't replacing that lost scoring with nothing. The 6 forwards they are bringing in may be freshmen, but they are talented freshmen. I doubt they put up zeros.

I think Minnesota will score as much as Wisconsin, young or not. What it will boil down to is how well Minnesota plays defensively. They have the talent on the back end, but some guys (Reilly and Skjei) need to take the next step and a guy like Brodzinski or Bischoff has to have a solid freshman year for the Gophers to win the conference IMO.

Yeah but then when you look at what the other teams did last year and what minny has coming in I just thought they would edge out uw and um but yes not shocking by any means. The other three teams better have tissue paper soft non conf schedules or they could lose many games! Kerdiles is the real deal! He's proven how valuable he was. Interested on seeing how cammarratta and faushing do out of the gates. Hyped at very young ages and two completely different size and players.

12-13000 students compaired to 40,000+ sure, it would be.

Not at all what I was talking about.....

We're going to need to see a link, because you just pulled those stats out of your ass. I would say 12 - 3/4 of the UND fan base no longer lives in the state of ND. So, what you just said there is fluff or filler.

Seems to me you pulled that out of the air as well? And are you inferring that all OSU fans live in the state of Ohio?

I think UW should be the favorite, but I think a little too much has been made of the % of returning scoring they are bringing back too. They are bringing back roughly 80% of their scoring, but they were 33rd in the NCAA in scoring last year. Minnesota lost a lot of scoring, but were 1st in the NCAA in scoring. The disparity in returning scoring is what? 15 goals. People forget that Minnesota isn't replacing that lost scoring with nothing. The 6 forwards they are bringing in may be freshmen, but they are talented freshmen. I doubt they put up zeros.

I think Minnesota will score as much as Wisconsin, young or not. What it will boil down to is how well Minnesota plays defensively. They have the talent on the back end, but some guys (Reilly and Skjei) need to take the next step and a guy like Brodzinski or Bischoff has to have a solid freshman year for the Gophers to win the conference IMO.

Yep good post. The freshman forwards this year are sick and they're coming in at the perfect time. Cammaratta and Kloos should both make immediate impacts and Fasching, Guertler, and Connor Reilly are very good as well.

Well, 14,430 people in Ohio were registered for hockey last year while only 5,315 people in North Dakota were. So, while the ratio for Ohio might not be 1/10 it is equally if not more likely North Dakota isn't anywhere near 9/10 either.

Bottom line. Ohio is much bigger. OSU's student body and alum base is much bigger. Passionate fans or not, they have the potential to bring in more viewers if the opponent is right.

I wasn't aware I had to register for hockey in order to be considered a fan.

Bottom line. Ohio is much bigger. OSU's student body and alum base is much bigger. B1G or not, they don't care about hockey.

• Upvote 1

Bottom line. Ohio is much bigger. OSU's student body and alum base is much bigger. B1G or not, they don't care about hockey.

Nevermind the Big 10, they can't even support the only major sport in town. When the Columbus Blue Jackets move to Quebec or Seattle, will anyone in Ohio notice?

When did I say you had to register for hockey to be a fan?

I was using those stats as a comparison. You know, instead of just saying a program has no followers and not substantiating the claim.

Wouldn't it stand to reason that if Ohio has considerably more people who are playing the sport they would also likely have more people watching the sport? Because, you know, there are probably plenty of people in Ohio who watch but don't play too.

Far too many people getting worked up over this. North Dakota and UND fans are more passionate about the sport, hands down. Absolutely hands down. But you don't need to be a passionate fan to tune in to watch a big outdoor game against a conference rival. And Ohio is a much bigger market and OSU has a much bigger student body and alumni base, so there are probably plenty of those casual fans that will tune in to watch that game.

An average of 14,000 fans isn't support?

Look who averaged less than 13,000 fans this season:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2006

And this season:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2004

And who averaged just over 14,000 fans this season:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2003

Guess we should move the Blackhawks and Penguins too.

Little hockey talk, anyone surprise that UW Is picked ahead of umtc? Not that it matters much but didn't see that. I have minny winning this conf with mich, uw behind them. BC and Lowell out east and Mankato in the WCHA

Not at all surprised. Minnesota lost quite a bit and is a very young team.

Not at all surprised. Minnesota lost quite a bit and is a very young team.

I still think minny wins it. The head to heads between the 3 top BIGS will be huge. I think they beat up on the bottom 3. Just this year that is. Do you guys play every BIG 4 times??

I still think minny wins it. The head to heads between the 3 top BIGS will be huge. I think they beat up on the bottom 3. Just this year that is. Do you guys play every BIG 4 times??

Agreed. Head to head between the top 3 is huge. Yes, each team faces every other team 4 times.