SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

From USCHO Dec. 12, 2012 - CCHA Columinst Paula C. Weston

When teams meet in March to play for the Mason Cup one last time, they’ll be doing so on Saturday and Sunday. At first, the Detroit Red Wings had scheduled a Friday night game, forcing the CCHA to seek an alternative to its usual Friday-Saturday schedule. When the NHL decided to pick up its collective puck and go home, the CCHA heard arguments to move the games back to Friday and Saturday, but what was done was done.

“We had to go to the NCAA championship committee to get a one-year exception to playing on Sunday,” Pletsch said. “They also had to get clearance from ESPN to move the selection show.”

That’s correct. The ESPN NCAA hockey championship selection show has been moved to 9 p.m. the Sunday before the NCAA tournament begins all because of the CCHA championship.

“We won’t be able to move it back,” Pletsch said. “TV gets locked in, and the NCAA made it clear that once we had a schedule, we had to keep it.”

Pletsch said that the league considered playing semifinal games on Thursday and the title game on Saturday but said, “If you look at how the Super Six was, you saw that it was difficult to get fans to the rink for Thursday’s games.” The CCHA played a six-team championship tournament, the Super Six, from 2002 to 2005.

There is no third-place game this year, either, since the championship game begins at 2 p.m. that Sunday. “The NCAA told us we had to be done by 4:30,” Pletsch said. “Playing at 2, you can’t have a game at 10 in the morning before that for third place.”

Read more: http://www.uscho.com.../#ixzz2O3QjMeOP

Yeah, I still cringe when I see or hear the name Shawn Hunwick.

The 1-0 loss to Denver in the 2004 West Regional Final is another tough one.

Cringe, I think I might have cried after that one, figuratively speaking. That one hurt.

Edited by Goon

From USCHO Dec. 12, 2012 - CCHA Columinst Paula C. Weston

When teams meet in March to play for the Mason Cup one last time, they’ll be doing so on Saturday and Sunday. At first, the Detroit Red Wings had scheduled a Friday night game, forcing the CCHA to seek an alternative to its usual Friday-Saturday schedule. When the NHL decided to pick up its collective puck and go home, the CCHA heard arguments to move the games back to Friday and Saturday, but what was done was done.

“We had to go to the NCAA championship committee to get a one-year exception to playing on Sunday,” Pletsch said. “They also had to get clearance from ESPN to move the selection show.”

That’s correct. The ESPN NCAA hockey championship selection show has been moved to 9 p.m. the Sunday before the NCAA tournament begins all because of the CCHA championship.

“We won’t be able to move it back,” Pletsch said. “TV gets locked in, and the NCAA made it clear that once we had a schedule, we had to keep it.”

Pletsch said that the league considered playing semifinal games on Thursday and the title game on Saturday but said, “If you look at how the Super Six was, you saw that it was difficult to get fans to the rink for Thursday’s games.” The CCHA played a six-team championship tournament, the Super Six, from 2002 to 2005.

There is no third-place game this year, either, since the championship game begins at 2 p.m. that Sunday. “The NCAA told us we had to be done by 4:30,” Pletsch said. “Playing at 2, you can’t have a game at 10 in the morning before that for third place.”

Read more: http://www.uscho.com.../#ixzz2O3QjMeOP

Just find a local arena that seats less than 4000 people. That's about how many fans show up for CCHA tournament.

Cringe, I think I might have cried after that one, figuratively speaking. That one hurt.

That one literally hurt as bad as a kick to the balls. Not to be off color, but seriously, I was literally sick to my stomach after that one. Did not see that coming at all. Especially being in attendance. Absolutely brutal.

That one literally hurt as bad as a kick to the balls. Not to be off color, but seriously, I was literally sick to my stomach after that one. Did not see that coming at all. Especially being in attendance. Absolutely brutal.

That was a great team, and MN and UMD also had great teams- DU was the fourth best team in the WCHA and they won it all

Hey, does anyone know the answer to this, regarding NCAA's next weekend.

Are the dates set currently or are those only set on Sunday once the brackets are known?

For example: If UND makes the Midwest Regional, do we know if that regional is set to play Friday & Saturday or Saturday & Sunday? What happens if they go out East? Or go to West Regional with Minnesota?

Anyone know? Or do we simply wait until brunch time on Sunday?

Are the dates set currently or are those only set on Sunday once the brackets are known?

For example: If UND makes the Midwest Regional, do we know if that regional is set to play Friday & Saturday or Saturday & Sunday? What happens if they go out East? Or go to West Regional with Minnesota?

It is set in stone as far as what sites play on which days but the times that teams play are not finalized. So the sites will play as follows:

Manchester: Friday March 29 & Saturday March 30

Grand Rapids: Friday March 29 & Saturday March 30

Providence: Saturday March 30 & Sunday March 31

Toledo: Saturday March 30 & Sunday March 31

I'm pretty sure that the selection show has been moved to Sunday evening this year because the CCHA is playing their championship on Sunday afternoon.

Regional Times - ESPNU - ESPN3 (E3 is online if accessible)

SELECTION SHOW - 8pm Sunday night espnU

WEST (grand rapids)

FRIDAY

130pm U

4pm U

SATURDAY

3pm U

NORTHEAST (Manchester)

FRIDAY

330pm - 3

7pm - U

SATURDAY

530pm - U

MIDWEST (Toledo)

SATURDAY

1230pm - 3

4pm - 3

SUNDAY

3pm - U

EAST (providence)

SATURDAY

430pm - 3

8pm - U

SUNDAY

530pm - U

That team will play like pansies and choke like Gophers. Think they'll bleach their hair?

Should have hired Hakstol, then they would dominate pre-tournament and choke. But it wont be the teams fault, they just ran into a hot goalie or got screwed by the officials.

Or they could hire Blais, he would bring home the gold 7th place!

Should have hired Hakstol, then they would dominate pre-tournament and choke. But it wont be the teams fault, they just ran into a hot goalie or got screwed by the officials.

Or they could hire Blais, he would bring home the gold 7th place!

hakstol is canadian.

Why would they hire a guy that has in the past whined about how hard it is on HIS players and earlier in his coaching career even wished that HIS players declined the opportunity? Maybe Mario said he wouldn't play unless daddy was the coach.

Why would they hire a guy that has in the past whined about how hard it is on HIS players and earlier in his coaching career even wished that HIS players declined the opportunity? Maybe Mario said he wouldn't play unless daddy was the coach.

Just to irritate the North Dakota fanbase or maybe they think he has the coaching background to do the job? I don't know as it's a guess but it's probably the first one.

The team I root for has no bearing on this being weird. You can't argue that he's "disapproved" of players on the team he coaches of participating in this event in the past because of the apparent after-effects it caused. On only his players, I might add. One would surmise from that, that his relationship with USA Hockey wasn't the greatest. Apparently that has changed.

Crazy play in the scsu game. As a scsu player with unreal flow was tapping in a shot on an empty net the goalie was trying to get his stick behind him to make an Olkanurra style save and his stick bumped his own mans skate and it flew out of his hand and made the save. Play was reviewed and it could have one either way so no goal was awarded.