SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

That's not the first time I've heard the 'college hockey Yankees' line. A few years ago, a local sports columnist was skewered by the press for saying the same thing...FSN TV deal...WCHA Final Five in its own backyard every March, biggest city in conference...top notch facility...ability to cherry-pick 95% of talent in area in terms of high school recruits...and despite ALL of these advantages, somehow not able to dominate the landscape year in and year out. I cannot remember the sportswriter...but I remember the comment. It might have been Patrick Reusse...

Maybe he just meant they're hated by damn near everyone, as are the Yankees?

Patrick Reusse was the sports writer that referred to the Gophers as the "New York Yankees of college hockey" What he said he meant by that was either you like the Gophers or you hate the Gophers just like people feel about the Yankees.

That's not the first time I've heard the 'college hockey Yankees' line. A few years ago, a local sports columnist was skewered by the press for saying the same thing...FSN TV deal...WCHA Final Five in its own backyard every March, biggest city in conference...top notch facility...ability to cherry-pick 95% of talent in area in terms of high school recruits...and despite ALL of these advantages, somehow not able to dominate the landscape year in and year out. I cannot remember the sportswriter...but I remember the comment. It might have been Patrick Reusse...

It was one of those clowns. I think it was the same clown that was complaining about UND being a bunch of 25 year old Canadians.

What's funny is, the only reason people hate the Yankees is because they are good almost every single year. There is really no reason to hate the Yankees at all. They have strict dress and appearance codes for their athletes and are typically the professional standard of their sport. Now, someone will say, "well, they buy their team!" So? Don't blame the Yankees because they can afford to buy better players...blame MLB for the lack of a salary cap system.

So, what makes the Yankees and Gophers alike, also makes them very different. Yes, both teams are either "you love 'em or you hate 'em", but people hate the Gophers for many reasons other than just being good.

For the record, screw both the Yanks and the Goofs! :D

Patrick Reusse was the sports writer that referred to the Gophers as the "New York Yankees of college hockey" What he said he meant by that was either you like the Gophers or you hate the Gophers just like people feel about the Yankees.

Patrick Reusse is a journalism troll. He gets a lot of attention by trolling fans with his writing, and why not if it works?

Wilbur, what were you and I saying about Michigan? Two more wins to an NCAA bid!

I said I wouldn't be surprised if they got in. With as well as Michigan is playing I'd almost peg them as the favorites to win the CCHA tournament at this point.

I said I wouldn't be surprised if they got in. With as well as Michigan is playing I'd almost peg them as the favorites to win the CCHA tournament at this point.

If Ferris State and Michigan State win their games tonight, I really like Michigan's chances to run the CCHA table.

5 minutes left...cmon CC.

Wilbur, yellow CC jerseys vs Sioux green on Thursday night? MAKE IT HAPPEN!

I'm thinking the Tigers will go black if they win. Sioux white vs. CC black.

The CC radio guy has already taken like five shots at Gwoz.....love it.