SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

I don't think he'll regret sticking around. I think it was more a character move than anything. I think he should be all right. Plus he can bolt anytime because WI will be bad for years to come. I don't think getting him and Zengerle is going to turn things around for them. The "Fire Eaves" thread finally popped up on USCHO. The down the tubes thread should be coming shortly.

I disagree that Wisconsin will be bad for years to come. Wisconsin gets great talent, it's just that a lot of them bolt early. Put Justin Schultz along with Zengerle and Kerdiles and you have a middle of the pack team in the WCHA, maybe better. I also think that Wisconsin will be a team that nobody wants to play at the end of the year should Zengerle and Kerdiles be in the lineup. Taking Minnesota down to the wire both nights without your top two guys on the road shows that they can be a factor down the road.

A nicely written article on the Gopher/Badger series: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8684840/a-visit-eden-minnesota-where-college-hockey-endures

includes this nugget as a footnote:

Gotta say, I really love North Dakota fans: When I asked for recommendations on Twitter for what and where I should eat while in the Twin Cities, the top three answers were (1) Juicy Lucys at Matt's Bar (delish); (2) Al's Breakfast in Dinkytown (I love that neighborhood name so much, but I never made it there); and (3) YOU SHOULD GET ON ROUTE 94 WEST AND DRIVE UNTIL YOU HIT GRAND FORKS IF YOU WANT TO SEE SOME *REAL* COLLEGE HOCKEY!!!!! (One guy tried to tempt me with "two words: imported marble.") Anyway, North Dakota hockey (and its benefactors) is a whole column in and of itself, and one I hope to write soon.
  • Upvote 1

Thought this was interesting...

[NCAA Hockey] Tournament Format up for Debate - NCAA.com

“Personally, I would like to see us move to an on-campus best-of-three series format for the first round,” Nevala said. “The top seeds would host regardless of size of its building. Right now we do it at the conference level and it works very well. There are upsets even with the home ice advantage and the atmosphere for everyone involved would be better. We have such great campus facilities that are such a part of the fabric of college hockey, it’s a shame that the national tourney isn’t played in them.”

So does Nevala see it happening any time soon?

“The coaching body is so set on having the regional games at neutral sites that before the committee would ever propose something like this we would need to work with them to try and get everyone on board,” Nevala said. “Hopefully we can put something together that they would feel comfortable with. It’s really hard for anyone with an objective view to say what we are doing now at our regionals is great, so we need to try and do something with them because a great tournament should be our goal.”

If this has been noted, my apologies.

How is it possible that after 13 games, the Gophers have not played a single "Team Under Consideration" per Pairwise?

Schedules are made in advance in fairness but for the most part you know who will be a top team year in and out. The differences in strength in schedule is night and day. Think gophs are in 50's out of 60 something teams??

How is it possible that after 13 games, the Gophers have not played a single "Team Under Consideration" per Pairwise?

Their early schedule is pretty weak, the only traditionally tough team was Wisconsin and they have been stinky too so far. Looks like their next 7 games are against decent teams.

A team under consideration is any team with an RPI over .500. 25% comprised of team's winning percentage, 25% comprised of team's opponent's winning percentage (exlcuding games versus opponent), and 50% comprised of the team's opponent's opponent's winning percentage.

Therefore the goofs opponents are not winning games versus crappy opponents, who have lost games to other crappy opponents.

Let's add to that UNO has played one team, Notre Dame which they lost to, so this weekend's series for UMN and UNO is actually pretty important for the PWR.

Schedules are made in advance in fairness but for the most part you know who will be a top team year in and out. The differences in strength in schedule is night and day. Think gophs are in 50's out of 60 something teams??

They're ranked 44th out of 59. UNO is ranked 49th out of 59.

Watching BC vs BU on NBC sports with Doc and Peirre Macquire! These teams are talked about and treated like royalty! That's cool but doesn't the number of Championships and the size of the fan following mean anything in deciding who gets treated like royalty? Just seems not fair to me, a Sioux fan! Anyone else agree?

Watching BC vs BU on NBC sports with Doc and Peirre Macquire! These teams are talked about and treated like royalty! That's cool but doesn't the number of Championships and the size of the fan following mean anything in deciding who gets treated like royalty? Just seems not fair to me, a Sioux fan! Anyone else agree?

Yeah, I agree with you. There is college hockey outside of Boston. Heck, even the gophs are getting the shaft from these guys. Its crazy Boston bias.

BC has won 4 NC's since our last one, hate to say it but nobodys been better the last 10 years.

That was one helluva hockey game. BU has a great chance this season if that big goaltender of theirs stays hot.

PS: Doc calling Stafford's penalty shot goal against Maine a couple of years ago....amazing....

Geez that was more like a decade ago. I was still in Cali. Can't believe it's been that long.

Latest update on Quentin Shore

@THNRyanKennedy Quentin Shore not leaving Denver just yet - controversy surrounding Portland a factor

At this point he should just go, imo. Teammates, coaches, and fans know that he has been exploring his options. If he stays, will he still be completely dedicated to DU with Portland in the back of his mind?

Latest update on Quentin Shore

At this point he should just go, imo. Teammates, coaches, and fans know that he has been exploring his options. If he stays, will he still be completely dedicated to DU with Portland in the back of his mind?

Didn't Portland just get blasted by the league? I find the timing of this a bit odd.

BC has won 4 NC's since our last one, hate to say it but nobodys been better the last 10 years.

Agreed, yes we have more NC's but this is a "what have you done for me lately era" so BC should be treated on a higher standard (for now). All in all, UND is still a top 3-5 program in the country so they can't take that away from us. But yes, BC sure has the trophies through my lifetime.