SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2012/13 (non UND Hockey)

AZSIOUX

I don't know what you could tell your defenseman in that situation? Guy is coming into the zone, with the puck, head down. Trouba didn't raise his elbow to hit the guy, didn't jump, just made a good physical hockey hit. Its a good thing Trouba isn't shorter or he could have done a lot more damage with his shoulder to the players head.

I guess that is contact to the head, but you're telling me that from now on you can't hit a player with his head down?

I don't know what you could tell your defenseman in that situation? Guy is coming into the zone, with the puck, head down. Trouba didn't raise his elbow to hit the guy, didn't jump, just made a good physical hockey hit. Its a good thing Trouba isn't shorter or he could have done a lot more damage with his shoulder to the players head.

I guess that is contact to the head, but you're telling me that from now on you can't hit a player with his head down?

No kidding, from the moment checking is allowed, as a hockey player you are told to keep your head up otherwise you are going to get hit, hard.

No - you just can't extend your elbow into the side of a player's head - which is clearly what happened.

If Trouba hits like that in the NHL he better learn how to fight. The other teams tough guys will be looking to settle things the old fashioned way. When I saw the hit it looked illegal as he hit the guys head with his elbow. Apparently others think differently.

Didn't see the hit, but when you check, you don't keep both of your arms straight down at your side, you follow through. Again, won't comment on this situation, but if following through is illegal, then MacWilliam deserved to be booted against Boston University because even though he initially hit the guy with his body, his arm came through after and made contact with the head.

When they came out with the major for contact to the head, my cinical first response was to have everyone skate with their head down because no one could hit them.

If Trouba had just been standing in the guys way and braced for the hit the opponent, by lower his head, would have run his head into Trouba's elbow and gotten blown up because he had no idea what was in front of him.

I think it was a clean hit. He certainly didn't lead with his elbow out. Contact to the head certainly, but whose fault was that? I put it more on the guy skating with his head down.

Didn't see the hit, but when you check, you don't keep both of your arms straight down at your side, you follow through. Again, won't comment on this situation, but if following through is illegal, then MacWilliam deserved to be booted against Boston University because even though he initially hit the guy with his body, his arm came through after and made contact with the head.

Agree 100%. People who get excited about players whose feet come off the ground AFTER a collision drive be crazy. Energy will take the path of least resistance and often times that is UP.

Some important games last night for PWR purposes down the line.

WCHA goes 1-0-1 vs Hockey East (CC ties NH, MN beats VT) ... given the strength of HEA, that's nice.

WCHA goes 1-0 vs CCHA (UND vs Notre Dame) ... gven that Notre Dame will be a TUC, that's nice also.

UNO beats Huntsville (a loss would have hurt, not that a win helps a lot)

but

Denver losing to Yale will hurt.

Some important games last night for PWR purposes down the line.

WCHA goes 1-0-1 vs Hockey East (CC ties NH, MN beats VT) ... given the strength of HEA, that's nice.

WCHA goes 1-0 vs CCHA (UND vs Notre Dame) ... gven that Notre Dame will be a TUC, that's nice also.

UNO beats Huntsville (a loss would have hurt, not that a win helps a lot)

but

Denver losing to Yale will hurt.

if CC can beat yale tonight that will help offset DU's blunder of last night.

Wisconsin swept by Mankato at the Kohl Center. Ouch!

UW's record currently stands at 1-7-2 overall, 1-5-2 WCHA

Do you think that Nic Kerdiles regrets sticking around rather than going to Major Junior? It is true that it all depends on when you play a team, because we will end up playing the Badgers when they have Kerdiles and Zengerle back. Those are two pretty good guns to add to a team that is competitive, just not getting that goal in critical situations like last weekend against Minnesota.

Denver didn't have a good weekend at all, losing two home games this weekend against Yale and UNH.

They got out to a 3-0 lead tonight against UNH and even took a 4-2 lead into the 3rd period...only to allow 4 3rd period goals and lose 6-4.

Also...UNH and BC look legit this year. It is early, but those look to be two pretty tough HEA teams.

Do you think that Nic Kerdiles regrets sticking around rather than going to Major Junior? It is true that it all depends on when you play a team, because we will end up playing the Badgers when they have Kerdiles and Zengerle back. Those are two pretty good guns to add to a team that is competitive, just not getting that goal in critical situations like last weekend against Minnesota.

I don't think he'll regret sticking around. I think it was more a character move than anything. I think he should be all right. Plus he can bolt anytime because WI will be bad for years to come. I don't think getting him and Zengerle is going to turn things around for them. The "Fire Eaves" thread finally popped up on USCHO. The down the tubes thread should be coming shortly.