SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

Why do I have to get back to you when someone at NDSU does anything, they don't speak for me and I don't speak for them, I agree with everything you just said.

I also think that voter fraud is a big deal, which is why I have been an advocate for punishing the involved guys.

I also don't think we should make it a bigger deal than it is, why am I being attacked for that? I would think a proud American like yourself would be all for treating each situation with the exact amount of punishment it deserves, nothing more, nothing less.

To equate the situation in Fargo right now to anything in the Middle East crosses that line IMO. Feel free to disagree, but to tell me I am immature and need "real world experience" because I have that opinion is laughable.(Not directed at you)

The story about the Middle East was relevant because it shows how important the right to vote is to many people. This country was built on the right to vote. But way too many people associated with the NDSU football program don't seem to believe that interfering with the right to vote is a big deal. Gene Taylor himself said it wasn't a big deal. Stopping people from voting on this issue is a big deal, whether they prevented them from voting in November or they prevented the issue from being on the ballot. The effect is the same. People spent hundreds of thousands of dollars and thousands of hours trying to get this issue on the ballot so that voters could make a decision. 10 NDSU football players decided it was more important to take the easy way out and still make some money.

I know many people who have died for this country and serve our country. No need to tell me what our soldiers do for us. Not sure how clear I can make this, nobody is being stopped from stepping into a voting booth in November. That is the right that our soldiers have fought and died for, to equate the two situations takes it a couple of steps too far IMO.

Boy, are you really that thick? Your players never gave the measures the chance to make it that far and let the people of North Dakota cast a vote. They're no better than the thugs who stuff ballot boxes in Russia today, or the KKK who threatened blacks who sought to vote in the 1960s. And the irony must be pretty damn thick with the last one.

Boy, are you really that thick? Your players never gave the measures the chance to make it that far and let the people of North Dakota cast a vote. They're no better than the thugs who stuff ballot boxes in Russia today, or the KKK who threatened blacks who sought to vote in the 1960s. And the irony must be pretty damn thick with the last one.

They're no better? Are YOU really that thick?

Wow!!! You have really gone off the deep end with those comments.

They're no better? Are YOU really that thick?

Wow!!! You have really gone off the deep end with those comments.

Little advice here...pick up your Barbie dolls and go home for the day. You may not intended to come across like this, but you are today's #1 JA. Sleep on it and give the old college try again tomorrow if you want.

Little advice here...pick up your Barbie dolls and go home for the day. You may not intended to come across like this, but you are today's #1 JA. Sleep on it and give the old college try again tomorrow if you want.

You guys are hilarious. If I didn't have Bison in my name there would be people speaking up and agreeing with me. So much for a two sided discussion.

You guys would have readers of this board believe that these 10 guys pissed on the graves and memories of dead soldiers and now I am hearing from ScottM that they are no better than KKK members. You don't think you guys have taken it too far? If you say so.

I also don't think we should make it a bigger deal than it is, ...

This is a big deal. The right of initiative and referendum is granted to the citizens of North Dakota by the state constitution. It is a right that the citizens of most states do not have. Initiative and referendum have played a significant role in the history and culture of the citizens and the state of North Dakota. These individuals have intefered, impinged, impugned (whatever "i" word you want to use) with the rights of North Dakota citizens. That is strike one.

The current estimate is that the initiated measure to create an environmental fund would result in $85 - $100 million per year. Since these individuals have caused at least a two year delay in giving voters the right to vote on the issue, that is potentially $170 - $200 million of funding lost to the environmental fund, if it is approved. That is strike two.

Their actions have caused at least a two year delay in a vote on the medical marijuana issue. If this measure had been approved, they have caused at least a two-year delay in the ability of patients to receive this treatment (please note that I am not stating a position one way or the other as to whether this measure should be approved or if there are medical benefits). I am sure there are cancer patients and others that might consider this a big deal. That is strike three.

The consulting firm that hired them is out at least $145,000 in revenue (assuming they do refund the payment, which they have offered to do) plus all of the expenses they incurred in the petition work. They surely can't ask for the wages back from the petition workers that actually did the work. That is strike four.

The supporters of the two measures had already lined up and made partial payment on $500,000 worth of advertising media for this fall. It is doubtful they will get all of their funds returned and thus have suffered a financial hit. That is strike five.

Upon conviction, these individuals have lost their right to ever work in the banking/financial/investment/mortgage industry under federal law. None of us really knows what we may wind up doing in our careers, but we certainly know what these individuals will not be able to do. And if you are wondering about this, just do a Google search about a Des Moines man losing his job at a bank for a cardboard fake dime prank he pulled in the 1960's. He was convicted of fraud (sound familiar?) and cannot even hold a minor job at a bank because of it. Strike six.

At what point do you actually consider this a big deal? Maybe you aren't aware of all of these ramifications.

This is a big deal.

• Upvote 3

You guys are hilarious. If I didn't have Bison in my name there would be people speaking up and agreeing with me. So much for a two sided discussion.

You guys would have readers of this board believe that these 10 guys pissed on the graves and memories of dead soldiers and now I am hearing from ScottM that they are no better than KKK members. You don't think you guys have taken it too far? If you say so.

I hate to agree with you but this has been taken too far.
  • Upvote 3

This is a big deal. The right of initiative and referendum is granted to the citizens of North Dakota by the state constitution. It is a right that the citizens of most states do not have. Initiative and referendum have played a significant role in the history and culture of the citizens and the state of North Dakota. These individuals have intefered, impinged, impugned (whatever "i" word you want to use) with the rights of North Dakota citizens. That is strike one.

The current estimate is that the initiated measure to create an environmental fund would result in $85 - $100 million per year. Since these individuals have caused at least a two year delay in giving voters the right to vote on the issue, that is potentially $170 - $200 million of funding lost to the environmental fund, if it is approved. That is strike two.

Their actions have caused at least a two year delay in a vote on the medical marijuana issue. If this measure had been approved, they have caused at least a two-year delay in the ability of patients to receive this treatment (please note that I am not stating a position one way or the other as to whether this measure should be approved or if there are medical benefits). I am sure there are cancer patients and others that might consider this a big deal. That is strike three.

The consulting firm that hired them is out at least $145,000 in revenue (assuming they do refund the payment, which they have offered to do) plus all of the expenses they incurred in the petition work. They surely can't ask for the wages back from the petition workers that actually did the work. That is strike four.

The supporters of the two measures had already lined up and made partial payment on $500,000 worth of advertising media for this fall. It is doubtful they will get all of their funds returned and thus have suffered a financial hit. That is strike five.

Upon conviction, these individuals have lost their right to ever work in the banking/financial/investment/mortgage industry under federal law. None of us really knows what we may wind up doing in our careers, but we certainly know what these individuals will not be able to do. And if you are wondering about this, just do a Google search about a Des Moines man losing his job at a bank for a cardboard fake dime prank he pulled in the 1960's. He was convicted of fraud (sound familiar?) and cannot even hold a minor job at a bank because of it. Strike six.

At what point do you actually consider this a big deal? Maybe you aren't aware of all of these ramifications.

This is a big deal.

I agree with everything you just said. For anyone reading this THIS IS A BIG DEAL! You even quoted me.

I am saying don't make it a bigger deal than it is by saying they are equal to KKK members.

Given the national exposure on this one, and the Secretary of State's position that he wants the voter fraud laws changed from a class A misdemeanor to a class C felony, how willing will the Cass County State's Attorney office (and their bosses in Bismarck) be to deal this one down to a lesser charge?

Given the national exposure on this one, and the Secretary of State's position that he wants the voter fraud laws changed from a class A misdemeanor to a class C felony, how willing will the Cass County State's Attorney office (and their bosses in Bismarck) be to deal this one down to a lesser charge?

Just curious because I couldn't find anything, but what lesser charge could it be pleaded down to? For the record, I don't see anyone getting jail time over this, but it is a big deal and with the AG's latest comments, I believe an example will be made for all of those 15 involved, not just the current and former NDSU football players.

I think it was @pucknut9 that said it over on Twitter the other day - if Bohl had just simply suspended his knuckleheads (my words not his) for the first game against RMU this would have blown over and would have we would be on another subject.

However, Bohl and Taylor decided to take the low road and act like a bunch of pompous, condescending, jerks and instead of punishing said knuckleheads, NDSU is sending the message that it's ok to break the law – as long as you’re a starter or an NCAA playoffs MVP – win at all cost is the message that is being sent to the children that look up to these morons. So the next kid at one of the schools in North Dakota gets a misdemeanor or MIP citation they can just turn around and say hey the Bison do it.

NDSU has excused illegal behavior and gave cover for said knuckleheads. Yeah I am calling them knuckle heads because their stupidity cost a conservation group who spent a bunch of money for advertising for a chance to have their measure on the ballot is now out of a bunch of money – whether you agree or not with the ballot measure these buffoons disenfranchised a block of voters that never got a chance to vote. Who are we to question Bohl right?

This is the same coach that said this is over with – time to move on folks – nothing to see here.

It was really classy to see the NDSU Football players whining about the extra media focus this past weekend as well. Yet you have a coach and players whining about people hating on them.

senior center Joe Lund.

Also the clown that was fleeing the police and caught drinking for a second time – this kid needs to grow up and sit for a game or two. Of course he wont because it’s win at all cost at Moo-U.

You are making a big deal out of a guy getting a minor and running? If he gets suspended I won't complain but goodness, a minor is no big deal. Neither is running.

Bison06: You are way out of line. Come back when you have obtained some maturity and real world experience.

Maybe you should come back when you've obtained some maturity and real world experience if your going to call out Bison06. Your avatar is airborne. Thats great, I would assume you or someone close to you served. That is fantastic and I mean that. But that doesn't give you any right to make this into the end of the world. I got a lot of former military people in my family, none of them are pleased or condone what the players did. None of them, however, have pulled the dumb military card either.

And I believe it was ScottM(could be wrong) who compared these guys to thugs in Russia and Klansmen in the South, that is absurd. It undermines any argument you are trying to make.

Thank you, I knew it wasn't just me seeing through green and gold glasses.

You know what, this wouldn't be a big deal if Bohl and Taylor didn't make it so. For that matter, you make it a big deal by posting on here constantly about it. As someone else pointed out, this thread wouldn't be near as long if you didn't give it the impetus to do so. If Bison fans wouldn't be defending this like some of the Penn State fans defended that situation, this thread would only be about half as long.

Frankly, what they do at the AC doesn't matter much. They had a bunch of players who thought they could make a few quick bucks and involved others to take advanatage. Unfortunatley they were dumb enough to cheat and they have been caught. It speaks to their integrity and character and that of their school officials. What the school does with them doesn't matter much to us. Chapman did a lot worse and many still lament he is gone. They have a different culture there. (Mussman suspended 2 kids for skipping class). I have no problem letting the legal issues play out then let the AC guys decide how they are going to handle it. The new Chancellor has a great opportunity to call their president on the carpet and let him know how it should be handled. He didn't do so so he is OK with all of this. So am I, cuz until they want to play us again, it doesn't matter. We have more important things to do at home. We have to get the practice facility financed and built. We need to keep improving our FB team. We need to improve attendence for FB, BB VB. We need to reengage our students and community with our athletics and we need to be very diligent in our transition from the WCHA to the new conference. We can't afford to lose our advantage in hockey and we need to reestablish our advantage in other sports. Shouldn't be surprised at what they do at the AC. That is why it is still the AC. Good luck to them they have a hell of a FB team. Looking forward to playing them again.

• Upvote 1

Just curious because I couldn't find anything, but what lesser charge could it be pleaded down to? For the record, I don't see anyone getting jail time over this, but it is a big deal and with the AG's latest comments, I believe an example will be made for all of those 15 involved, not just the current and former NDSU football players.

But it would be kind of funny if a condition of probation was that they couldn't leave the state.

I hate to agree with you but this has been taken too far.

Agreed. You give these football players way too much credit if you think they actually thought through the consequences of their actions/inactions.

Stupid and lazy? Absolutely.

Intent on disenfranchising voters? Thats for the court to decide. My guess is that their main intent was to do as little work as possible while getting paid to do a part time job.

Actions comparable to KKK? I don't think so...

• Upvote 2

Agreed. You give these football players way too much credit if you think they actually thought through the consequences of their actions/inactions.

Stupid and lazy? Absolutely.

Intent on disenfranchising voters? Thats for the court to decide. My guess is that their main intent was to do as little work as possible while getting paid to do a part time job.

Actions comparable to KKK? I don't think so...

Amen.

Frankly, what they do at the AC doesn't matter much. They had a bunch of players who thought they could make a few quick bucks and involved others to take advanatage. Unfortunatley they were dumb enough to cheat and they have been caught. It speaks to their integrity and character and that of their school officials. What the school does with them doesn't matter much to us. Chapman did a lot worse and many still lament he is gone. They have a different culture there. (Mussman suspended 2 kids for skipping class). I have no problem letting the legal issues play out then let the AC guys decide how they are going to handle it. The new Chancellor has a great opportunity to call their president on the carpet and let him know how it should be handled. He didn't do so so he is OK with all of this. So am I, cuz until they want to play us again, it doesn't matter. We have more important things to do at home. We have to get the practice facility financed and built. We need to keep improving our FB team. We need to improve attendence for FB, BB VB. We need to reengage our students and community with our athletics and we need to be very diligent in our transition from the WCHA to the new conference. We can't afford to lose our advantage in hockey and we need to reestablish our advantage in other sports. Shouldn't be surprised at what they do at the AC. That is why it is still the AC. Good luck to them they have a hell of a FB team. Looking forward to playing them again.

Nice post but I think 40 pages on this topic would tell you that most (almost all) of the folks here don't have more important things to focus on as you say "things at home". Even LakesDarrel asked if this thread was a record for one week. I've never seen so much joy come out of other peoples pain and that's exactly why there is so much discussion about it. IMO, much less to do about anyones right to vote than it is about the fact that it's NDSU that is experiencing the pain. (And yes I believe they should have been suspended)

A lot of fun was had by others at the expense of Matt Frattin and Dan Kristo. It's schadenfreude.

And yes, we're just one lawn mower toss from from problems. So is everyone else.

I believe what has the attention moreso than the actions of the student-athletes is the lecturing to the media ("it's over") and attempts to make the cause of the problems the victims from Bohl and Taylor. Toss in the "empty chair" Bresciani and reason for skepticm abounds. (And I haven't even reopened the issue of: What'll come of this to all NDUS schools at the next Legislative session.)

• Upvote 1

A lot of fun was had by others at the expense of Matt Frattin and Dan Kristo. It's schadenfreude.

And yes, we're just one lawn mower toss from from problems. So is everyone else.

I believe what has the attention moreso than the actions of the student-athletes is the lecturing to the media ("it's over") and attempts to make the cause of the problems the victims from Bohl and Taylor. Toss in the "empty chair" Bresciani and reason for skepticm abounds. (And I haven't even reopened the issue of: What'll come of this to all NDUS schools at the next Legislative session.)

You and I have been preaching "Schadenfreude" for the past 40 pages or so but the Bizon guys just don't seem to grasp the concept or what drives it. They act all above the fray, when, in reality, very few, if any of us, actually are -- me included. :bigsmile:

Nice post but I think 40 pages on this topic would tell you that most (almost all) of the folks here don't have more important things to focus on as you say "things at home". Even LakesDarrel asked if this thread was a record for one week. I've never seen so much joy come out of other peoples pain and that's exactly why there is so much discussion about it. IMO, much less to do about anyones right to vote than it is about the fact that it's NDSU that is experiencing the pain. (And yes I believe they should have been suspended)

Go away troll.

Maybe the problem is people don't know what schadenfreude is.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Schadenfreude

Maybe I can dumb it down for them in a way they can understand. If UND loses on Saturday to SDSU (God help us we don't), which very well could happen, as we all know, the Schadenfreude will be alive and well from the loyal opposition to the south -- and like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. :lol:

No, it's because you can't see beyond your own piss yellow and green glasses. Obstructing one's right and ability to vote in this nation is fundamentally wrong, and I don't care how it's done. If the ND legislature has any real balls perhaps they'd move this crime from a misdemeanor to a felony in the next session.

well you are making it a bigger deal than it actually is? Which is worse?

I would just like to thank the NDSU Bison Football team and their fans for basically trying to dumb down the conversation. The fact remains – this is not a minor offense – this is a Class A Misdemeanor and if you listened to the N.D. Secretary of State Al Jaeger on Mike McFeely you will hear that they want to make this kind of a fraud a felony. Tell Ducks Unlimited that this is no-big deal. What DU should do is sue these clowns in court.

Basically, the 2012 NDSU Bison team is no different than the thugs that played under Rocky Hagler.

The problem is that we have been dumbed down as a once great nation and now we have people that seem to think committing Class A Misdemeanors is "no big deal" and not even worthy of any punishment and possibly even Felonies are no big deal.

Most of us if we got a class “A” Misdemeanor charge we would have to report it to our bosses so we don’t get fired and we might just get disciplined anyways. If was to be involved in an incident involving Alcohol I “could” lose my job as well.

One MIP isn’t that really that big of a deel, if said players learns from it – multiple offense proves player might have a drinking problem and at least lacks a focus… Racking up multiple driving offense aren't just events to overlook. There is a pattern forming NDSU. These aren’t just minor dust ups… This is an out of control football team that needs to tone it down and act like law abiding citizens and not a bunch of knuckle dragging criminals.

Edited by Goon