SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 2: Potato Bowl 2012 - UND vs. Portland State

UND-FB-FAN

This is no excuse for people to leave but that was a really long game. I stayed for the whole thing.

And the team brought the fireworks against a legit team. Some of the fans are starting to make me ashamed to be associated with UND. The football team deserves better. I'm not sure what else 'those fans' are looking for? Do they want more defense? Less scoring? would a 27-3 game be more entertaining? At least Bison fans appreciate their teams.

And the team brought the fireworks against a legit team. Some of the fans are starting to make me ashamed to be associated with UND. The football team deserves better. I'm not sure what else 'those fans' are looking for? Do they want more defense? Less scoring? would a 27-3 game be more entertaining? At least Bison fans appreciate their teams.

Oh I agree completely. It's pathetic but that's the only reason I could think for people leaving and I guess because we were up 21.

This is no excuse for people to leave but that was a really long game. I stayed for the whole thing.

It was a long game I too stayed til the end and didn't get into Fargo until 11pm. Lucky it wasn't a school night so the kids staying up late didn't matter.

I'm surprised how fast our strengths turned into weaknesses and weaknesses into strengths.It was almost a total opposite from last year We got great quarterback play, especially considering he was a back-up, our receivers were big, strong, and fast, and our defensive backs played adequately On the other hand, our running game was as poor as I can ever remember, we got absolutely no line push on either side of the ball, and our tackling was horrible. The thing that excites me the most is our passing game with this corps of receivers. They will give almost everyone trouble. What worries me the most is line play. If this is an indication of how our lines on both sides of the ball stack up in the Big Sky, we could be in for some misery.

Does it bother anyone else how they show the replays on the big screens? After a TD they almost always ended up showing the TD replay during the extra point attempt. I missed the 2 point conversion attempt by PSU while watching the replay. (Then, they also did not have a replay of the 2 point conversion, having their replay equipment tied up showing the TD)

I'm guessing it's an "in-house" thing, rather than Midco's TV coverage. I wouldn't think TV would miss the extra point while showing the TD replay.

Yah - hope someone from the production team reads here - wait until after the extra point is done to show the touchdown replay!!!

Maybe the students wanted to get in line at REA for the first hockey game? :silly::p

Seriously, it is also time to stop using the "hockey is all that matters here" excuse to explain poor attendence at football games. Hockey doesn't start until next month and the first two weeks feature two exhibition games. People used to whine and moan about the teams we played; that shouldn't be a problem anymore. Either get with it or get off the bandwagon. :angry:

• Upvote 1

Look guys, the attendance isn't going to change overnight. The fans who have gone to the games can see we have a damn good football team that has improved tremendously since last year. But we lost a lot of casual fans during an average transition which was below average at the beginning. From the team standpoint, they are doing everything correct right now to get interest back in the program. A blowout over SD School of Mines was not going to catch anyones attention. This win vs. Portland St will. I'm expecting attendance to continue to improve as the season goes along.

• Upvote 1

I can't wait to get back to UND. I hear and understand what you all are saying. If any of you come to the UNC game you will see one future student that lives for all sioux sports not just hockey. When ever I go to the sioux games in col. I always seem to get a sor throught by half time. Last year was the worst seeing the sioux football team fotr the first time since moving away from Grand forks in 2002

Look guys, the attendance isn't going to change overnight. The fans who have gone to the games can see we have a damn good football team that has improved tremendously since last year. But we lost a lot of casual fans during an average transition which was below average at the beginning. From the team standpoint, they are doing everything correct right now to get interest back in the program. A blowout over SD School of Mines was not going to catch anyones attention. This win vs. Portland St will. I'm expecting attendance to continue to improve as the season goes along.

If we go 1-1 or 2-0 over the next 2 weeks I can bet a lot more people will show up for the UND-Cal Poly game.

This is a quote from a PSU fan

'Yes, our defense ate it. Couldn't be more disappointed. But consider - we led in nearly every statistical category. Even in passing yardage, though there were two interceptions. With a better pass defense, we would have won handily. Fernandez did a great backup job. The two he missed were blocked, not missed. This wasn't a blow out, by any means. Just very very messy. Marty, you remember you said we'd probably take another year to be very good? You were right.'

The pass defense sucked because they only cared about stopping the run and their guys couldn't handle ours one on one. I wish the team would have closed the door on them like they should have, it could've been a blowout for us 50+ points for us and <30 for them if we had executed on a couple of plays.

'Yes, our defense ate it. Couldn't be more disappointed. But consider - we led in nearly every statistical category. Even in passing yardage, though there were two interceptions. With a better pass defense, we would have won handily. Fernandez did a great backup job. The two he missed were blocked, not missed. This wasn't a blow out, by any means. Just very very messy. Marty, you remember you said we'd probably take another year to be very good? You were right.'

The pass defense sucked because they only cared about stopping the run and their guys couldn't handle ours one on one. I wish the team would have closed the door on them like they should have, it could've been a blowout for us 50+ points for us and <30 for them if we had executed on a couple of plays.

And the game should've been a blowout if our D tackled and we actually kept the offense on the gas in the 4th instead of playing the clock game.

not a big o-line guy but how is brandon anderson doing? if and when joe comes back who sits?

dom bennett better get it going....he is too good to not be noticed once this year

mackey stinks...time to try someone else younger and see what they can do

kennedy week one hit of the game / goard week two hit of the game...did goard sit the rest of the game after that hit or was it just me....he and jablonski need to play more

I basically agree with that PSU fan.......................

If the pass defense "sucked because they only cared about stopping the run", then I'd feel better about it if they had actually stopped the run..........................

You have to admit, if the defense plays worse at any point during the rest of the season than they did last night, then it will be a very long season.................

PSU was the #1 rushing team in the Big Sky last season, averaging nearly 250 yds/game. They gained over 200 yards on us last night, in our house, despite losing their leading rusher from last season.