SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

His pops played FBS. We may not be able to get him by the time he's done. How about his older son? He won't put up good numbers since his team is awful but he's a good athlete.

I am not familiar enough to comment. I just figured since he had the size and ability, coupled with the fact that his dad is the head coach, I figure UND has a good shot.

I don't know about anyone else, but after watching yesterdays game, I am seriously questioning the coaching staff in every possible way. Not only are they getting it handed to them, but they don't seem to be making progress, nor are they bringing in the talent in key positions to take the next step. How is it a school like SDSU has success and stays very competitive in the MVFC, while utilizing mediocre facilities and we continue to struggle with average programs and never seem to get better? Does anyone know if this staff understands the recruiting process, who they need and have a realistic chance of getting, how to secure those players early, which are highest priority and how to go about finding the best student/athlete for that position? Don't get me wrong, we have some very solid players, but if you want to compete with upper level D-IAA schools across the country (or 70 miles south), you better figure out a way to steal a few recruits each year.

Sorry for my rant, just SUPER frustrated.

I don't know about anyone else, but after watching yesterdays game, I am seriously questioning the coaching staff in every possible way. Not only are they getting it handed to them, but they don't seem to be making progress, nor are they bringing in the talent in key positions to take the next step. How is it a school like SDSU has success and stays very competitive in the MVFC, while utilizing mediocre facilities and we continue to struggle with average programs and never seem to get better? Does anyone know if this staff understands the recruiting process, who they need and have a realistic chance of getting, how to secure those players early, which are highest priority and how to go about finding the best student/athlete for that position? Don't get me wrong, we have some very solid players, but if you want to compete with upper level D-IAA schools across the country (or 70 miles south), you better figure out a way to steal a few recruits each year.

Sorry for my rant, just SUPER frustrated.

Look at the last two classes and that will answer your questions.

Getting a bit ahead of 2014 but the Johannesson kid from Fargo South and the Ellefson kid from Hawley are big time prospects. May be FBS prospects. Both are Juniors. Feeney from Bismarck Century is only a Soph but looks like the real deal at QB.

Can you elaborate more? I haven't heard enough about local players.

I'm sure this season will do wonders for recruiting. How do you tell a kid to ignore how bad we are now and not look like we are desperate for him to come.

You sell the program, the school, the conference, opportunity for early playing time, etc. I don't know what our record is going to finish out this year. I do know UND has a lot to offer future players and its important to get those kids to campus so they can see it.

Last week I took a look at the roster and if you sort it by class its an interesting breakdown. If we aren't going to get player leadership from our upperclassmen, it is important to get it from the guys who will be around the next few years. We have a lot of Sophomores and RFr. who need to stay focused on improving.

Johannesson is Jr. and just ran for 331 yds against Devils Lake but also had big game the week prior. 6'2" about 195lbs. Fast and quick. Might be FBS prospect but he is a big time player. Feeney is the Nephew of former Bison QB Kevin Feeney and son of former Sioux Steve Feeney. 6' 2" Soph with rocket arm and all of the throws. Word is that he is better than his Dad or uncle. I saw the Ellefson kid play BB last year when he was a Soph. He is a beast. Great quickness and is 6'2" and about 225lbs. Playing QB for a very good Hawley team. Great speed. College position may be LB.

Johannesson is Jr. and just ran for 331 yds against Devils Lake but also had big game the week prior. 6'2" about 195lbs. Fast and quick. Might be FBS prospect but he is a big time player. Feeney is the Nephew of former Bison QB Kevin Feeney and son of former Sioux Steve Feeney. 6' 2" Soph with rocket arm and all of the throws. Word is that he is better than his Dad or uncle. I saw the Ellefson kid play BB last year when he was a Soph. He is a beast. Great quickness and is 6'2" and about 225lbs. Playing QB for a very good Hawley team. Great speed. College position may be LB.

Lets hope they develope and we can get them.

...How is it a school like SDSU has success and stays very competitive in the MVFC, while utilizing mediocre facilities...

Sheesh. Leave the Jacks out of the meltdown! Recruiting to SDSU has become relatively easy since the move to D1 and there are a number of reasons for that and facilities is one of the minor factors -- or, from your point of view, apparently not a factor at all. If that is the case, then take your facilities out of the equation and ask that question again: Why is SDSU getting the athletes?

By the way, SDSU's facilities are not as bad as you suggest. Sure, the outdoor football stadium has reached the end of its useful life. But, it will be replaced in just a few years with a 22,000-seat facility that will surpass every FCS stadium in this part of the country (isn't that the way it is with facilities...its like playing leapfrog with your competitors, everyone taking a turn having the best). And it will remain an outdoor facility which I think most fans prefer for all but maybe one game every five years. The Dykhouse Student-Athlete Center located at the north end of the football stadium opened in 2010. It is an outstanding facility. Construction is now underway for the indoor practice facility that will include a 100-yard turf, 300m track etc. It is scheduled to open by the start of school in the fall of next year, 2014.

• Upvote 1

Sheesh. Leave the Jacks out of the meltdown! Recruiting to SDSU has become relatively easy since the move to D1 and there are a number of reasons for that and facilities is one of the minor factors -- or, from your point of view, apparently not a factor at all. If that is the case, then take your facilities out of the equation and ask that question again: Why is SDSU getting the athletes?

By the way, SDSU's facilities are not as bad as you suggest. Sure, the outdoor football stadium has reached the end of its useful life. But, it will be replaced in just a few years with a 22,000-seat facility that will surpass every FCS stadium in this part of the country (isn't that the way it is with facilities...its like playing leapfrog with your competitors, everyone taking a turn having the best). And it will remain an outdoor facility which I think most fans prefer for all but maybe one game every five years. The Dykhouse Student-Athlete Center located at the north end of the football stadium opened in 2010. It is an outstanding facility. Construction is now underway for the indoor practice facility that will include a 100-yard turf, 300m track etc. It is scheduled to open by the start of school in the fall of next year, 2014.

Is Sanford involved with the practice facility? They seem to have hands in everything else.

South's roster lists Johannesson at 210 lbs. and I don't doubt that he's an FBS prospect after Saturday's performance. The radio announcer was almost in awe.

I know this kids has been mentioned in the past, which is why his name caught my attention as I was surfing the Star Tribune website. As one of our "players of interest", is there a reason we haven't offered Connor Wilkie? According to the MN Football Hub, he has thrown for nearly 1,000 yards in 3 games with 11 TD's. If anyone has any insight on this, I would love to hear it.

I also notice a couple of RB's that are putting up some stats that should get attention from us as well. Nick Leach (6'2 210lbs) and Tahi Nomane (5'11 208 lbs) each have 600 yards rushing in 3 games.

Does anyone know if we are pursuing these 3?