SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

Can't understate how big of an advantage that is. Hopefully he's improved his motion and lands in our laps.

I can't imagine that his motion is too terrible if he passed for 400 yards in 1 game. I also saw in the star tribune that he was voted to the Minnesota High School Football preseason "Dream Team", so he must have something good going for him.

Let me see..... Would it be easier to recruit a player who had a parent attend school and play where you are trying to recruit them to? Yeah, probably not a advantage. GEEZ!

I understand how it is an advantage in recruiting, of course, but in this particular case it actually does us more bad than good. Wilkie (according to the Star Tribune [Twins Cities newspaper]) doesn't have an offer on the table as of now. SO my point is, that if the Gophers, NDSU, SD schools, etc. come and offer him before we do... what shot do we have to get him? If I had a son getting recruited by B1G schools and UND didn't offered I would be pissed off.

Looks like a pick up game. Play like that in college and check yourself into the ER.

He's super raw. Between his footwork in his drop, throwing off his back foot at times, not tucking the ball away, he'd be a real project. But there's also a lot of potential. I'm 50/50. I like game managers that are accurate passers. Dual threat QBs are always hurt. However, he could open up the zone read game.

Looks like a pick up game. Play like that in college and check yourself into the ER.

He's super raw. Between his footwork in his drop, throwing off his back foot at times, not tucking the ball away, he'd be a real project. But there's also a lot of potential. I'm 50/50. I like game managers that are accurate passers. Dual threat QBs are always hurt. However, he could open up the zone read game.

That poor kid has a terrible offensive line. He's running for his life half the time. I'd rather go for Wilke before him.

• Upvote 1

That poor kid has a terrible offensive line. He's running for his life half the time. I'd rather go for Wilke before him.

Calling him "raw" is a understatement. His mechanics are completely unsound, his footwork is terrible, his eyes don't stay down field (even though he is running for his life) and his decision to run backwards rather than get rid of the ball would get him in serious trouble at the college level. If we offer this kid, I will lose all confidence in our ability to find talent.

I understand how it is an advantage in recruiting, of course, but in this particular case it actually does us more bad than good. Wilkie (according to the Star Tribune [Twins Cities newspaper]) doesn't have an offer on the table as of now. SO my point is, that if the Gophers, NDSU, SD schools, etc. come and offer him before we do... what shot do we have to get him? If I had a son getting recruited by B1G schools and UND didn't offered I would be pissed off.

I have to agree with you on this one. If we don't offer him and B1G schools or even NDSU offer, I would probably not even answer a call from UND. It does probably hurt you more in this case, but hopefully we can be his 1st offer if he doesn't have anything on the table at this point.

Calling him "raw" is a understatement. His mechanics are completely unsound, his footwork is terrible, his eyes don't stay down field (even though he is running for his life) and his decision to run backwards rather than get rid of the ball would get him in serious trouble at the college level. If we offer this kid, I will lose all confidence in our ability to find talent.

I wouldn't mind us offering him. Just not as a QB. That size and athletic ability are hard to come by and would probably be useful at other positions. Might be tough to learn a new position in just two years though.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind us offering him. Just not as a QB. That size and athletic ability are hard to come by and would probably be useful at other positions. Might be tough to learn a new position in just two years though.

That's what I was thinking. QBs transition well to other positions. And who knows what position we're looking at him for. Also I'd like to see video of Vernon Adams in high school. I bet he was pretty raw himself.

That's what I was thinking. QBs transition well to other positions. And who knows what position we're looking at him for. Also I'd like to see video of Vernon Adams in high school. I bet he was pretty raw himself.

He might be able to transition into another position, but as a QB, he would never make it.

Most high schools have no other option than to put their best talent at QB. It makes the most sense to have the ball into your best athlete's hands on every play. I would like to see Mumphrey at WR. He's very illusive.

It looks like UND may find their next placekicker in-state. This is part of an article from the Minot Daily News:

Senior kicker Ben Love booted a career-long 44-yard field goal in the Magicians' 34-27 overtime win over Fargo Davies on Friday. The kick, which very few teams can even consider taking, counted for the team's only points in the third quarter. Two Davies' touchdowns followed in the fourth quarter and without those three points MHS was looking at a two-score deficit in the final minutes of regulation.

Love hit a 37-yarder in the second quarter and is 4 for 4 on the season. He is 7 for 7 on extra points and has seven touchbacks. Holmen noted that Love's field goals have increased MHS leads from one-score advantages to two-score leads.

"Part of it is just where you're at," MHS coach Barry Holmen said. "If it's fourth-and-12 on the 25, (Love) has a good chance to make it and I would say almost a better chance to make it than to convert a 4th-and-long first down in that situation."

Holmen was also pleased to see the late-game composure match Love's talent.

"We lose if he doesn't kick the extra point after that last touchdown in regulation," Holmen said. "He pounded 'er right through."

Love followed Friday's successful night with an unofficial visit to the University of North Dakota. UND fell to South Dakota State, but Love enjoyed learning more about the program he may kick for next.

"The special teams coach walked me through the place, showed me the locker rooms and I got to go on the field during warmups," Love said.

UND is at the top of Love's list of colleges that have shown interest in him as a place-kicker.

Love said he hit a pair of field goals from 57 yards during practice Tuesday, but is intent on training as diligently on his kickoffs to ensure MHS a field-position advantage.

"When I hit 'em good they're going where I want 'em to, but I'm still mishitting a couple every game," he said. "It really is just all about striking the ball right. If I get it right it goes about however far I need it to."

This isn't 2014 recruiting, but there's a local 6'5", 290 pound 9th grade OL with a vaguely familiar last name to keep an eye on in the coming years: http://www.grandfork...icle/id/273078/

First thing I thought of when I read the article was that he has the size to play D1...does he want to play for his dad though?