SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

if NDSU can have the record they have had with 63 local players, what is the problem with local recruiting for UND? Its not getting talent from Chicago - its getting smash-mouth trench players from the farms, ranches and oil country that have formed the foundation of the NDSU, Montana State, Montana and yes, even SDSU's teams. Wasn't Mussman an offensive line coach? Why can't UND recruit offensive linemen that can give Mollberg or Bartels 3 or 4 seconds in a pocket or consistently open holes like they did for Shaugabay's TD?

I'm getting at the fact that NDSU, MSU, UM have proven there are DI caliber players in the remote areas of the northern plains and UND is not recruiting them. The Dave Osbornes, Phil Hansons, Jim Kleinsasserss and Weston Dresslers of the future are in ND high schools and junior high schools now. Why aren't they being heavily recruited by UND?

if NDSU can have the record they have had with 63 local players, what is the problem with local recruiting for UND? Its not getting talent from Chicago - its getting smash-mouth trench players from the farms, ranches and oil country that have formed the foundation of the NDSU, Montana State, Montana and yes, even SDSU's teams. Wasn't Mussman an offensive line coach? Why can't UND recruit offensive linemen that can give Mollberg or Bartels 3 or 4 seconds in a pocket or consistently open holes like they did for Shaugabay's TD?

I'm getting at the fact that NDSU, MSU, UM have proven there are DI caliber players in the remote areas of the northern plains and UND is not recruiting them. The Dave Osbornes, Phil Hansons, Jim Kleinsasserss and Weston Dresslers of the future are in ND high schools and junior high schools now. Why aren't they being heavily recruited by UND?

Stockwell was probably the top OL recruit by any Dakota school last year. Bell was highly recruited as well. Mussman described Miller as 'a mauler'. Iverson and Kuksa have already made an impact and have shown grit. This true fr class is something special.

do we typically have a few commits at this time of year?

Other schools are sure getting commits. Almost 30% of our offeree's have verbaled to other schools and zero commits for us. I would not call that a good sign of things to come. I'm assuming we are in the market for around 20 signee's so I suggest things need to be stepped up a notch. And, how many of our younger players are going to transfer and need to be replaced after this season?

Stockwell was probably the top OL recruit by any Dakota school last year. Bell was highly recruited as well. Mussman described Miller as 'a mauler'. Iverson and Kuksa have already made an impact and have shown grit. This true fr class is something special.

Quality is good, but football is a team game, so quantity is also very important. A large part of UND's shortcomings are due to depth issues. That ties into the local recruits - there aren't enough local kids on the roster. Of course, the location is only half the story. The other is the program and how it prepares and shapes the players. It is easier to do that with kids that are passionate about North Dakota football and know about its tradition and importance to Grand Forks and the state. California, Florida, and even Chicago kids are very talented, but you have to be careful to not over saturate your roster with them or you'll lose leadership and certain sense of pride. Right now, over 90% of the local kids would rather go to NDSU than UND and the reason for that is quite obvious. So, the solution will have to come from within cause the good local kids are gonna be hard to come by. Need great coaching to best utilize the current talent on this roster, but right now that's not happening.

OK, that's 5. Out of a recruiting class of how many? And how is UND doing with the 2014 class? All I'm saying is that they need to step up local recruiting - a lot.

OK, that's 5. Out of a recruiting class of how many? And how is UND doing with the 2014 class? All I'm saying is that they need to step up local recruiting - a lot.

I could go on but I chose to with the OL since you mentioned that and since Kuksa started yesterday and Iverson has made a big impact at FB. The class is pretty loaded. I also didn't mention Meindell who is one hell of a true fr punter who has run for 2 first downs on terrible snaps this year. It's alot more than 5.

Everyone I've talked to said this true fr class has a different look to them and has a real attitude(in a good way). They bust their ass every day.

I don't care where the talent comes from. I look at the contributions from our Jr. and Sr. classes this year, production and playing like Jr. and Sr..

Also, this is by no means sticking up for the staff- but we are going to lose Freshmen regardless of the coaches or not. This is the worst time of a players career right now, they went from being recruited and welcomed on campus- being a big deal. Now during the season, if your not playing you aren't getting the same attention and honestly your not the big man on the team. Its an adjustment from high school. You miss your friends and family, pretty natural whether your playing or just attending school. Once the season is done, you either compete for playing time or leave.

For as many tweets as I've seen of players being homesick and question things, I've seen tweets of the younger players excited about their future as a class and showing they are in it together.

It's amazing that you guys take geaux_sioux word on how great the fr and rfr are. As poor as the players in front of them are if they are more talented why aren't they playing? Lots of teams have starters that are fr rfr. He's been wrong about almost everything about UND fb this year.

It's amazing that you guys take geaux_sioux word on how great the fr and rfr are. As poor as the players in front of them are if they are more talented why aren't they playing? Lots of teams have starters that are fr rfr. He's been wrong about almost everything about UND fb this year.

It's amazing how interested you are in UND athletics. You should really come out of the closet and admit that you are a UND fan rather than a fan of NDSUAAS.
  • Upvote 1

I'll guarantee the defense will be statistically better than last years. That was my main point going into the year.

You might as well break it down for everything I've been wrong on.

And my word on the fr and rfr comes from very good sources that would know.

I'll guarantee the defense will be statistically better than last years. That was my main point going into the year.

You might as well break it down for everything I've been wrong on.

And my word on the fr and rfr comes from very good sources that would know.

Again why aren't they playing? Fact is they would be playing if they were better, any coach would play them specially one on hot seat.

Love your delusional post in another thread about " 1 close game with SDSU" Wow!

Final score SDSU 35- UND 28, 1 score difference. UND had the ball with a few minutes left and turned it over, a touchdown would have tied the game. SDSU with 21 first downs and UND with 19. SDSU with 455 total yards and UND with 458. Were you at the game, or did you watch it? I was there. UND had a slight advantage in the 1st quarter. SDSU dominated for the 2nd and a good part of the 3rd. UND dominated most of the 4th. UND couldn't stop Zenner for most of the game, SDSU had trouble stopping the UND passing game, especially in the 1st and 4th. UND had too many penalties and a couple of turnovers that made the difference. But it was definitely a close game. Thanks again for your interest in UND athletics and for being such a huge closeted UND fan.

Final score SDSU 35- UND 28, 1 score difference. UND had the ball with a few minutes left and turned it over, a touchdown would have tied the game. SDSU with 21 first downs and UND with 19. SDSU with 455 total yards and UND with 458. Were you at the game, or did you watch it? I was there. UND had a slight advantage in the 1st quarter. SDSU dominated for the 2nd and a good part of the 3rd. UND dominated most of the 4th. UND couldn't stop Zenner for most of the game, SDSU had trouble stopping the UND passing game, especially in the 1st and 4th. UND had too many penalties and a couple of turnovers that made the difference. But it was definitely a close game. Thanks again for your interest in UND athletics and for being such a huge closeted UND fan.

SDSU is garbage, overrated. Their supposedly tough MVFC defense sucks.

• Upvote 1

SDSU is garbage, overrated. Their supposedly tough MVFC defense sucks.

I didn't say anything about the quality of SDSU. Danny Boy questioned whether it was a close game. I was showing that it was a close game and not a blowout. At this point it doesn't look like SDSU is a Top 10 team.

You can divert attention by ripping other schools if you like, but the fact remains that our coaching staff has been unable to recruit the talent we need to be competitive in our conference or any other. We either need to move down to D2 or get the right people in place to be a contender.

SDSU game was definitely a close game. UND had a shot to tie it up in the 4th.

SDSU isn't as good as their preseason ranking suggested. UND is also not as good as the preseason rankings suggested (8th in Big Sky). Will know more when we play Sac St. Portland State No. Colorado, UC Davis, etc. but I currently see us in the 10-13 range.