SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

Who said anything about that? He asked for a situation in which offering high-end long shot athletes could backfire, and I gave him one. Sioux sports can be so sensitive and easy to offend sometimes.

I'm sure if we offered only 4 star minimum players we'd miss every time but that's not exactly a situation grounded in reality.

That is big! UND's recruiting edge with that dude, over the others who've offered, is that he'd have a chance to play closer to home a lot more times with us.

He is from Hollywood, FL but playing teams out West may be a carrot for him as he has been out there for a couple of years. He considered going to NDSSC prior to opting for Santa Rosa JC.

He is from Hollywood, FL but playing teams out West may be a carrot for him as he has been out there for a couple of years. He considered going to NDSSC prior to opting for Santa Rosa JC.

Thanks. That always happens to me when I assume things. :)

Woodland football team taking care of summer business on own turf

Early returns have Woodland fielding a senior-laden squad including Devin Jones, a defensive back and receiver who already has a scholarship offer from the University of North Dakota, an NCAA Division I FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) school. Others waiting to see how Jones progresses early this season are Fresno State, which landed Jones' brother and Wolves alum Dalen Jones on scholarship two years ago, San Jose State, Sacramento State and Eastern Washington.

I like this kid.

I'll be honest, he doesn't exactly jump off the film for me. But at the same time he shows some raw ability, good ball skills, and most importantly competitive edge when he chases guys down and tackles them at the 1 to save a TD. But me being underwhelmed also reminds me of when everyone was wondering who Kenny Golladay was. Same thing with Hardin, people weren't exactly doing backflips when we landed him. One thing is for sure, if our coaches want a WR that means he can play.

I'll be honest, he doesn't exactly jump off the film for me. But at the same time he shows some raw ability, good ball skills, and most importantly competitive edge when he chases guys down and tackles them at the 1 to save a TD. But me being underwhelmed also reminds me of when everyone was wondering who Kenny Golladay was. Same thing with Hardin, people weren't exactly doing backflips when we landed him. One thing is for sure, if our coaches want a WR that means he can play.

That fact he chased and ran down ball carriers more that once impressed me. He is competitive for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Article on Adam Stiner..

Prep football: Verona's Adam Stiner upset to see chain of league titles broken

Meanwhile, Tackett is happy to have the 6-foot-6, 280-pound Stiner around to keep him upright and healthy.

“It’s great having a guy like Adam in front of me. It’s always a big advantage. He’s one of our captains. He’s a great leader on the team,” Tackett said. “He will pancake you, but he can sit back and pass protect. He can do it all.”

Verona coach Dave Richardson said Stiner, who has received an offer from the University of North Dakota to play college football, will be the Wildcats’ “go-to guy” this season.

“Adam is definitely someone you build around,” Richardson said. “We expect great things from him.”

Excerpts from an interview with offeree Matt Juneau (great speed for a guy his size):

Gopher Hole: You have an offer from North Dakota. Do you have any other offers right now?

Matthew Juneau: No. Not right now.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Matthew Juneau: Not a lot. I got invited out to practice though, so it is a start, but I am hoping that it will pick up a little bit more now that their season is going.

Gopher Hole: Besides the North Dakota offer, who else are you hearing from?

Matthew Juneau: North Dakota State, the U of M, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Northern Illinois and Drake.

Gopher Hole: What do you feel that you need to show Division I schools that you can play at that level?

Matthew Juneau: I feel like I can show them my quickness (he runs a 4.9 40-yard dash), because I am a big guy, but I feel to play Division I, you have to be quick and you have to be fast. I am hoping to show that this fall.

Gopher Hole: Are most schools looking at you strictly as a tight end or would they look at you at a different position?

Matthew Juneau: Most of them are looking at tight end. A few are looking at tackle.

Gopher Hole: You ran a 4.9 40-yard dash. That is pretty good speed for a player your size, right?

Matthew Juneau: I have been lucky so far.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that because of your size, that based on maturing and eating and getting stronger that you would probably project to being more of an offensive lineman than a tight end down the road?

Matthew Juneau: I could definitely see it the way that I have been growing lately, but ideally, I would play tight end in college and not tackle.

Gopher Hole: What did you weight last season?

Matthew Juneau: I was about 255.

Gopher Hole: So you put on about 24 pounds, right?

Matthew Juneau: Yes, a lot of lifting.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play for the home state school

Matthew Juneau: It would just about be my dream because my dad (Tim) played there back when he was in college. To play at the same school as he did and hopefully the same position, would be a dream come true.

Gopher Hole: Are you planning on sending out some tape or highlight reels to some schools after your first couple games?

Matthew Juneau: Yes.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about trying to visit some schools before the start of the season?

Matthew Juneau: I have. I am thinking about North Dakota and maybe Northern Iowa or Northern Illinois and any other schools that ask me to come out besides the U of M, because I can go there without taking an official visit.

• 2 weeks later...