SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

That kid has a great frame and has awesome foot quickness for a tall guy. Shows some pop on throws down field and nice touch. If we do offer him he'd be a project with how awful his mechanics are. His release point is where a 5'6" qb would be. He needs to extend his arm and flick the ball instead of leaning on it and pushing it down field. If he brings his elbow up his release point would be super high and almost untouchable by defenders and he would be able to throw the ball farther and put more spin on it. Even a 3/4 release would be a vast improvement. I kind of hope he doesn't fix his mechanics going into next fall so we can snatch him up and refine his tools and make him into a stud qb.

Although I believe that this kid is a solid high school QB, not sure he has the talent to play at the D-I level or even D-II. He is probably more of a lower level D-II or III QB.

I just went back and watched that video again. Considering his size, arm strength and that he is a junior, he definitely has some up side. You are probably right that things will depend on his senior year, but if he continues to improve there will probably be many schools interested in him.

I just went back and watched that video again. Considering his size, arm strength and that he is a junior, he definitely has some up side. You are probably right that things will depend on his senior year, but if he continues to improve there will probably be many schools interested in him.

If his mechanics don't change I don't see a whole lot of interest from D1 schools coming his way unless they're willing to refine his motion which could take over a year.

He does have a D1 frame and arm strength though. Those two attributes alone can go a long way.

I don't really see much of a mechanics issue or ar least anything major. Although, you might have more experience teaching QB's.

He's got T. rex arms when he throws. The ball isn't even above his head on most throws. Even with a 3/4 motion it's above the head. I've only seen Philip Rivers succeed with a motion like that in the last 15 years. It is possible but not preferable.

I guess after researching him further, I am more impressed with him. His mechanics don't bother me after seeing how well he performed as a junior and taking into account his physical attributes. Does anyone know if he is being recruited or which others QB's we are looing at.

I guess after researching him further, I am more impressed with him. His mechanics don't bother me after seeing how well he performed as a junior and taking into account his physical attributes. Does anyone know if he is being recruited or which others QB's we are looing at.

http://wiki.siouxsports.com/doku.php/football/2014_recruiting_information

I believe Wilkie has visited Minnesota a couple times and talked to coaches and I also read an interview with him where he said he attended every Gopher home game, so I would guess if the Gophers offer he is their's.

As with a lot of Minnesota boys. Luckily they continually miss studs and ndsu sdsu usd and us get to take advantage.

You have me confused geaux_sioux. I thought you didn't think he was good enough to play for us because of his mechanics?

Not what I said. He's got the tools to be a big time player. He's clearly a good big athlete. It's just that his throwing motion is pretty raw to say the least. I'm hoping we pick him up and refine his motion. He shows nice arm strength in his video so it's not like he can't throw the ball. With mechanics like that he could end up d2 but with raw talent like that he could end up with the gophers if he has a big senior year. I'm sure he's on the radar of the gophers due to his measurables.

Not what I said. He's got the tools to be a big time player. He's clearly a good big athlete. It's just that his throwing motion is pretty raw to say the least. I'm hoping we pick him up and refine his motion. He shows nice arm strength in his video so it's not like he can't throw the ball. With mechanics like that he could end up d2 but with raw talent like that he could end up with the gophers if he has a big senior year. I'm sure he's on the radar of the gophers due to his measurables.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up! Now on to the other positions ;)

I believe Wilkie has visited Minnesota a couple times and talked to coaches and I also read an interview with him where he said he attended every Gopher home game, so I would guess if the Gophers offer he is their's.

My oldest goes to Edina. Played Andover last year and he's the real deal. I said to my buddy that he would look good in a Sioux jersey and he told me his dad (also the Andover coach ) played at UND. We probably have a pretty good chance!

• 3 weeks later...

Three offers that I don't think have been reported here:

WR Isaiah Lesure, 6'3”, 170, 4.6, Mount Horeb (Mount Horeb), WI

WR David Williams, 6'1”, 180, Los Angeles (Dorsey), CA (3 Star - Rivals) Has offers from CSU, Hawaii, Idaho & Yale

LB Hudson Watson, 6'1”, 200, Cedarburg (Cedarburg), WI

I found a source for MN prospects who were either invited to and/or attended UND's Junior Day or spring game. Included are:

Greg Menard, LB, Lakeville North (we have offered)

Connor Wilkie, QB, Andover

Nick Rathke, QB, Fridley

Eji Ejiya, RB, Spring Lake Park

Trey Volk, RB, Blackduck

Drew Trabing, OL, Prior Lake

Jason Telin, OL, Tartan

Jack Vasko, OL, Hill-Murray

Wyatt Russek, OL, Delano

Blake Banham, Ath, Cretin-Derham Hall

Michael Herzog, Ath, Detroit Lakes

Blake Weber, Ath, Prior Lake

Adam Kraft, Ath, Delano

Kaleb Paehlke, Ath, Chisago Lakes

Drew Greely, DE, Wayzata

Greg Menard, LB, Lakeville North (we have offered)

Payton Jordahl, FL, Perham

Nick Mertes, LB, Edina

Connor McCarthy, LB, Holy Angels

Kyle Kalivoda, DB, Wayzata