SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

I know this kids has been mentioned in the past, which is why his name caught my attention as I was surfing the Star Tribune website. As one of our "players of interest", is there a reason we haven't offered Connor Wilkie? According to the MN Football Hub, he has thrown for nearly 1,000 yards in 3 games with 11 TD's. If anyone has any insight on this, I would love to hear it.

I also notice a couple of RB's that are putting up some stats that should get attention from us as well. Nick Leach (6'2 210lbs) and Tahi Nomane (5'11 208 lbs) each have 600 yards rushing in 3 games.

Does anyone know if we are pursuing these 3?

Anyone know if he's related to Chris Wilkie? He'll be coming in for hockey in a couple years. Just think if they're related it could be a motivator for him to come here..... unless they hate each other of course.

• Upvote 1

I know this kids has been mentioned in the past, which is why his name caught my attention as I was surfing the Star Tribune website. As one of our "players of interest", is there a reason we haven't offered Connor Wilkie? According to the MN Football Hub, he has thrown for nearly 1,000 yards in 3 games with 11 TD's. If anyone has any insight on this, I would love to hear it.

I also notice a couple of RB's that are putting up some stats that should get attention from us as well. Nick Leach (6'2 210lbs) and Tahi Nomane (5'11 208 lbs) each have 600 yards rushing in 3 games.

Has anybody offered Connor Wilkie yet?

Nomane is very close to our current mascot.... ;)???:sad:

Has anybody offered Connor Wilkie yet?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Connor-Wilkie-145761

Gopher Hole: What schools are you hearing from right now?

Connor Wilkie: North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, the Gophers, Northern Iowa and Northern Illinois.

Gopher Hole: Any offers yet?

Connor Wilkie: No, not yet.

Nick Leach was up at UND for a late Summer camp. I believe they were interested in him at linebacker. I am unsure if they are still interested as he is not on the Sioux Football 2014 players of interest. Watched his highlights on Hudl and he looks like a nice player. He is another player UND coaches may want to look at closer before it is to late!

Nick Leach was up at UND for a late Summer camp. I believe they were interested in him at linebacker. I am unsure if they are still interested as he is not on the Sioux Football 2014 players of interest. Watched his highlights on Hudl and he looks like a nice player. He is another player UND coaches may want to look at closer before it is to late!

I maintain the Wiki recruiting page and list players once I (or others) learn of any level of interest in a player. I would guess that if Leach attended camp there must be some level of mutual interest. I will add him to the list.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Connor-Wilkie-145761

Gopher Hole: What schools are you hearing from right now?

Connor Wilkie: North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, the Gophers, Northern Iowa and Northern Illinois.

Gopher Hole: Any offers yet?

Connor Wilkie: No, not yet.

No, I posted earlier that his dad is Rich Wilkie, a former football player at UND.

I would guess that we are going to have a tougher time getting kids to commit early when many kids also have offers or interest from other and more successful programs. Some may also be hesitant with the current coaching situation.

Just curious--what "coaching situation?"

Edit: Oops, sorry; I misread it and thought it was a basketball recruiting thread.

Got plenty of really good recruits last year even though we got our asses kicked twice last season and didn't have a winning record. Ole' Miss has hit recruiting home runs the last two years even though they've been terrible. Recruiting isn't like attendance as far as being based solely off of winning. Sometimes kids want to be part of a solution and build the program back up.

Just curious--what "coaching situation?"

Recruits are unlikely to commit to a school if they question whether the coach is going to be there next year. Much of recruiting is personal relationships, the kids go to play for coaches. A lot of talk about the coach potentially being fired will keep kids from committing.

I think the impact of what is said on here is blown way out of proportion by posters.

If potential recruits believe that a coaching staff is in trouble, they will be very hesitant to commit. If they have options they will wait until they have a better idea about whether the coaches will be around next year. Talk about firing a coach in the newspaper, on the radio and on boards like this can all contribute to those doubts. New coaching staffs are basically starting the recruiting process over when they come in. Part of that is because they may be looking for something different than the last staff. But a big part of that is the personal relationships with recruits.

If potential recruits believe that a coaching staff is in trouble, they will be very hesitant to commit. If they have options they will wait until they have a better idea about whether the coaches will be around next year. Talk about firing a coach in the newspaper, on the radio and on boards like this can all contribute to those doubts. New coaching staffs are basically starting the recruiting process over when they come in. Part of that is because they may be looking for something different than the last staff. But a big part of that is the personal relationships with recruits.

You're stating these as fact as if you know how every recruit thinks. Also where had it been in the paper and on the radio?

Recruits are unlikely to commit to a school if they question whether the coach is going to be there next year. Much of recruiting is personal relationships, the kids go to play for coaches. A lot of talk about the coach potentially being fired will keep kids from committing.

Thanks. Per my edit, above, I misread it and thought that this was a basketball recruiting thread.

You're stating these as fact as if you know how every recruit thinks. Also where had it been in the paper and on the radio?

My entire comment was about recruiting in general. Each recruit is an individual, and each situation is unique. But it is pretty generally accepted that recruiting is all about the relationships. And it has been shown over and over again that recruiting suffers when there is talk about getting rid of a coach. Why do you think that colleges keep giving contract extensions, or set up contracts with automatic extensions? Recruits want to make sure that the coaches are going to be there, they would like to know that the coaches are going to be there the entire time they are in school. You have your head buried in the sand if you don't think that controversy or discussion in any forums, whether it be the media or places like this, don't have an effect on many recruits and recruiting in general.

I think the impact of what is said on here is blown way out of proportion by posters.

One thing is certain. I don't see any commits to us on Wiki and most of the other D1 schools around have gotten some big names already. Recruits aren't tearing our doors down to get here and that should be a major concern. Recruits aren't dumb. They know the football situation is deteriorating here and no one has any idea who will coach next year. Things won't improve until we've shown that we have capable coaches and then build on that. Like it or not, that's how I see it.

That is not how I read it, some kids will not care and only focus on the scholarship offer. But if the athlete is clear thinking they will take everything into an account when making a decision. Of course not all will be clear thinking as evident by some of the sideline behavior during the Montana game. Do I think what is posted here would have an effect on most recruits, no but that doesn't mean it will not be part of the process for some as well. This situation, like most things, isn't black or white.

Who wouldn't be amazed. Back to back national champs (soon to be 3 in a row), packed stadium, ESPN Gameday and watching them destroy their opponent. I would say our chance of getting Wilkie or any other kid who has interest from NDSU is very slim. 58 offers and zero verbal commits doesn't look very good to other recruits.