SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

I could go on but I chose to with the OL since you mentioned that and since Kuksa started yesterday and Iverson has made a big impact at FB. The class is pretty loaded. I also didn't mention Meindell who is one hell of a true fr punter who has run for 2 first downs on terrible snaps this year. It's alot more than 5.

Everyone I've talked to said this true fr class has a different look to them and has a real attitude(in a good way). They bust their ass every day.

I wouldn't say UND is getting good athletes. I'm not sure they are developing their talents and strengths once they get on campus. I'm also not sure this coaching staff knows how to put their athletes in the best positions to make plays.

I wouldn't say UND is getting good athletes. I'm not sure they are developing their talents and strengths once they get on campus. I'm also not sure this coaching staff knows how to put their athletes in the best positions to make plays.

To a certain degree, I agree. There are several talented players on this roster (Hardin, Jackson, Golladay, Mollberg, etc.) but results speak for themselves. Recruiting philosophy along with development within the system is certainly an issue. Not many local kids on the roster because the staff doesn't have an emphasis on bringing in local kids and developing them into FCS caliber players. Instead they go around the country and bring in unfamiliar kids that don't play with enough passion and leadership. A lot of that is also the coaching staff's fault; a football team takes on the attitude of their coaches. And, because that's the case, UND's football teams for the past few years have been timid and undisciplined.

I didn't say anything about the quality of SDSU. Danny Boy questioned whether it was a close game. I was showing that it was a close game and not a blowout. At this point it doesn't look like SDSU is a Top 10 team.

They piss pounded you the whole game and let the foot off the gas after it was 35-14 in the 4th and tried to coast the rest of the game. But if it makes you feel better you went toe to toe with them!

They piss pounded you the whole game and let the foot off the gas after it was 35-14 in the 4th and tried to coast the rest of the game. But if it makes you feel better you went toe to toe with them!

Piss pounding this UND team is hardly an accomplishment. Only the sh**iest of the sh**ty don't do that to this team.

The jacks are being exposed as the frauds they are. UND on the other hand, is fooling no one.

• Upvote 1

I don't agree. SDSU certainly was calling their defenses a bit more conservative when it was 35-14, but they changed most of that after it was 35-21 and we still went down the field and scored to make it a touchdown game. If anything, SDSU was too aggressive towards the end of the game when they had Sumner throwing the ball on 1st and 2nd down. I'm not sure we would've gave Mollberg and Co. a chance to tie it up if SDSU would've stuck it out on the ground with Zenner.

Every time you post, you reinforce how much of a moron you actually are. They didn't take their foot off anything, UND was already playing better before that. SDSU was up 28-7, UND scored a touchdown. SDSU scored a touchdown. UND scored 2 touchdowns. And UND played at least as well as SDSU in the 1st quarter. The teams were closely matched. UND had too many penalties and too many turnovers. You're just upset that one of your MVFC pals wasn't significantly better than UND. You and your BSvillers "toe to toe" gets really boring, you need some new material.
  • Upvote 1

Did you see what happened the next two weeks to UND? SDSU is a 20-25 ranked football team, at best.

if NDSU can have the record they have had with 63 local players, what is the problem with local recruiting for UND? Its not getting talent from Chicago - its getting smash-mouth trench players from the farms, ranches and oil country that have formed the foundation of the NDSU, Montana State, Montana and yes, even SDSU's teams. Wasn't Mussman an offensive line coach? Why can't UND recruit offensive linemen that can give Mollberg or Bartels 3 or 4 seconds in a pocket or consistently open holes like they did for Shaugabay's TD?

I'm getting at the fact that NDSU, MSU, UM have proven there are DI caliber players in the remote areas of the northern plains and UND is not recruiting them. The Dave Osbornes, Phil Hansons, Jim Kleinsasserss and Weston Dresslers of the future are in ND high schools and junior high schools now. Why aren't they being heavily recruited by UND?

I don't think it's that UND hasn't been trying to get these local or regional players, but that it has been very hard to win them over NDSU recently. NDSU walks in and says we have a scholarship for you, we have been winning and are the elite team in FCS football and you will have the opportunity to go to the playoffs and play for a national title. 4 or 5 years ago UND couldn't compete with that if a kids primary goal was to play football. North Dakota does produce some good football players but not a lot of them and lately NDSU has taken almost all of them instead of having some type of split between the programs. This does need to change but it's not like UND wasn't recruiting them it's just the obvious choice to most recruits during this stretch would have been to go to Fargo.

... and Kansas State thought they had the game locked up against you and started to coast. It goes both ways.

• Upvote 1

You should be posting this on the jacks board. UND got back in the game, they don't have to apologize to anyone. I think the truth is the MVFC is a one team show and the hyped defenses are due to average offense.

• Upvote 4

If you think UND is fighting for local talent, think again. Go look at the 60 offers that have been made and then count the number of kids from nd, sd and mn. You will then understand how pathetic our coaching staff is at recruiting its own backyard.

Offers

Midwest:

ND: 1

MN: 8

WI: 12

IL: 16

NE: 3

IA: 1

Total: 41

Not Midwest:

AZ: 4

CA: 3

FL: 1

WA: 1

TX: 4

NV: 1

Total: 14

If you don't want to do the math, we offered a total of 8 kids from ND, MN and zero from SD. I guess it is no wonder that NDSU is winning the battle over local/regional talent. By state we have offers to kids from:

South Dakota - 0

North Dakota -1

Minnesota - 7

Iowa - 3

Arizona - 3

California - 4

Texas - 5

Illinois - 22

Wisconsin - 15

Can someone explain why we only have 14 total offers to kids from ND,SD,MN and IA but 15 to WI? From what I can tell, our coaching staff enjoys traveling or whomever is in charge of recruiting ND, SD, MN and IA are unable to recognize talent.

Offers

Midwest:

ND: 1

MN: 8

WI: 12

IL: 16

NE: 3

IA: 1

Total: 41

Not Midwest:

AZ: 4

CA: 3

FL: 1

WA: 1

TX: 4

NV: 1

Total: 14

1 ND kid and 8 MN…that's not impressive at all. The majority of the kids we are recruiting likely had never heard of UND before they were contacted by the coaching staff. That's unacceptable and speaks to why there's little passion on the football field.

• Upvote 1

You should be posting this on the jacks board. UND got back in the game, they don't have to apologize to anyone. I think the truth is the MVFC is a one team show and the hyped defenses are due to average offense.

How is it SDSU is still ranked #13. Their best win is a 7 point win against UND. That isn't saying much. The poll is a joke.

Looking at the breakdown of recruiting there is alot to like and some that needs improvement.

I love how hard we hit WI and IL. They each are loaded with hard nosed players each year that know how to play the game the right way. I'd like to see more offers (if the quality of player is there) in ND, nobody will work harder for the program than an ND kid. If I had to choose between an ND kid and a kid from anywhere else and they were comparable talent wise I'd go ND every time because you can bank on the ND kid reaching closer to his full potential more often. I'd also like to see more recruitment of SD, Digger Anderson anyone? They are alot like ND kids only there are more of them. Out of all the non midwest states we have offers in, the only one I'm comfortable with is AZ. All the other states haven't given us much more than headaches. I'd just as soon never recruit FL and CA because we can find great athletes in the midwest as evidence by the fastest guys on the team being from the midwest. Overall our recruiting footprint is better than people think but I'd like a few more Dakota kids thrown in there.

If you don't want to do the math, we offered a total of 8 kids from ND, MN and zero from SD. I guess it is no wonder that NDSU is winning the battle over local/regional talent. By state we have offers to kids from:

South Dakota - 0

North Dakota -1

Minnesota - 7

Iowa - 3

Arizona - 3

California - 4

Texas - 5

Illinois - 22

Wisconsin - 15

Can someone explain why we only have 14 total offers to kids from ND,SD,MN and IA but 15 to WI? From what I can tell, our coaching staff enjoys traveling or whomever is in charge of recruiting ND, SD, MN and IA are unable to recognize talent.

Where did you get your numbers? They're a bit off from the wiki

South Dakota - 0

North Dakota -1

Minnesota - 7

Iowa - 3

Arizona - 3

California - 4

Texas - 5

Illinois - 22

Wisconsin - 15

I agree that it would be nice to get some more talent from the tri state area...as long as the talent is there. As for Wisconsin, UND has always recruited it pretty hard. Wisconsin has a ton of football players and only one DI school and 0 DII schools. There is a lot of talent to take from Wisconsin and I hope we continue to have a presence there.

Looking at the breakdown of recruiting there is alot to like and some that needs improvement.

I love how hard we hit WI and IL. They each are loaded with hard nosed players each year that know how to play the game the right way. I'd like to see more offers (if the quality of player is there) in ND, nobody will work harder for the program than an ND kid. If I had to choose between an ND kid and a kid from anywhere else and they were comparable talent wise I'd go ND every time because you can bank on the ND kid reaching closer to his full potential more often. I'd also like to see more recruitment of SD, Digger Anderson anyone? They are alot like ND kids only there are more of them. Out of all the non midwest states we have offers in, the only one I'm comfortable with is AZ. All the other states haven't given us much more than headaches. I'd just as soon never recruit FL and CA because we can find great athletes in the midwest as evidence by the fastest guys on the team being from the midwest. Overall our recruiting footprint is better than people think but I'd like a few more Dakota kids thrown in there.

I am not satisfied at all with the large number of recruits from Illinois or Wisconsin. Wisconsin and Minnesota are nearly the same population but yet we offered twice as many kids from Wisconsin. There are tons of UND alumni in Minnesota and lots of support but we have chose to recruit Wi and Ill. instead?

I am not satisfied at all with the large number of recruits from Illinois or Wisconsin. Wisconsin and Minnesota are nearly the same population but yet we offered twice as many kids from Wisconsin. There are tons of UND alumni in Minnesota and lots of support but we have chose to recruit Wi and Ill. instead?

We've always gone to WI. We've also always gone to MN. Depends on the year for which state we offer more players in. Alot depends on how big of a class UW has because that could mean alot more really good players getting scooped up by us instead of UW. WI MN and IL are the top 3 states for our recruiting right now. ND can't be in the top 3 because of population but we should try and get a few kids at least every year. IL is a new area for us but Schleusner has great connections there so why not tap into that huge talent pool? I'd rather go there for skill players than CA or FL or TX.

South Dakota - 0

North Dakota -1

Minnesota - 7

Iowa - 3

Arizona - 3

California - 4

Texas - 5

Illinois - 22

Wisconsin - 15

I got an idea, why don't you look at the population bases of the areas and compare them. Then, you would know why the offers are not the same. NDSU, SDSU, and USD do not offer significantly more kids from the local states than UND. They just get more of them so their hit ratio is higher and looks better.

There are only so many kids to offer in ND and MN. Maybe 10 total per year and UND is not getting many of them. Do you want them to resort to the 11-20 kids that are complete wild cards? They have done that and it hasn't turned out well. Minneapolis is not as fertile as people think. They have up and down years like every other area. We would have gotten Opara last year but he had grade issues, along with his teammate.

Now you're just talking crazy. You mean IL has more D1 caliber players than ND SD and MN combined?

Its tough when UND doesn't get any of the best players from ND and MN. Iverson was a good get from last year. Minneapolis is recruited so heavily that UND's chances these days are not good. Stockwell was a great get last year but they need 4-5 of him a year from down there and that is not happening.