SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

Its tough when UND doesn't get any of the best players from ND and MN. Iverson was a good get from last year. Minneapolis is recruited so heavily that UND's chances these days are not good. Stockwell was a great get last year but they need 4-5 of him a year from down there and that is not happening.

Jackson was a good get as was Rich. We've also had decent success with Ceighton. But the cities aren't exactly our bread and butter. Montana even goes in there.

In addition to losing very motivated area players we are losing the battle for the hearts and minds of North Dakota football fans in many parts of North Dakota (and not just because of wins/losses). It used to be that every small town had a large contingent of Sioux football fans and many coaches loved UND. This crew is alienating coaches and fans right and left. Show some interest in area programs. Bohl visits almost every school in North Dakota every year - even when he doesn't get a recruit or when there isn't one to get he gains much goodwill. This is one of the most frustrating parts of the program to me. I don't know if this is arrogance or ineptness on Muss's part, but he sets the tone.

• Upvote 4

In addition to losing very motivated area players we are losing the battle for the hearts and minds of North Dakota football fans in many parts of North Dakota (and not just because of wins/losses). It used to be that every small town had a large contingent of Sioux football fans and many coaches loved UND. This crew is alienating coaches and fans right and left. Show some interest in area programs. Bohl visits almost every school in North Dakota every year - even when he doesn't get a recruit or when there isn't one to get he gains much goodwill. This is one of the most frustrating parts of the program to me. I don't know if this is arrogance or ineptness on Muss's part, but he sets the tone.

This I whole heartedly agree with this. Even if there aren't recruits to get in ND, the staff should still be making the rounds and keeping it's connections open. If, as some poster have alluded to, that isn't the case with our current coaches, that is unacceptable and one more reason we need to make a change.

So UND's coaches feel there is only one (1) DI prospect in all of the Dakotas and Montana? I would hazard a guess that there are full ride offers to kids from those 3 states from other DI schools. UND may not get them all, but it appears they are not even trying.

I find it extremely hard to believe that there aren't a couple of kids from both ND and SD we shouldn't be chasing, not to mention MN should have a fair number of kids that would fit our system. I understand that NDSU has the upper hand right now, but if you want to build a program, you need to secure the talent in your area first, then spread out to fill in the holes that you couldn't get locally. This staff is going about it backwards.

Jackson was a good get as was Rich. We've also had decent success with Ceighton. But the cities aren't exactly our bread and butter. Montana even goes in there.

Twin Cities are a major source of recruting. It is our bread and butter but we have more than one loaf of bread. We are now starting to get some kids again. I believe one of the reasons Belmore was let go was his last year we didn't the kids out of the cities.

I am the guy who attempts to keep the recruiting info on Wiki current. While I also feel we could do a much better job of recruiting ND/MN/SD, we certainly may have made more offers than are listed on Wiki. There are many different sites/blogs that provide info about recruits, offers, etc. in all of the more populated areas in the country but there really aren't any great sources for ND & SD prospects.

Arrogance. Bohl is very good to area HS coaches and the small towns - I speak from experience. Mussman pales in comparison, and from what I hear, it's due to a combination of arrogance and lack of willingness to compete with NDSU.

Back in the day (at least it seems like we've been dealing with incompetent UND coaching for awhile), Lennon was very good to North Dakota high school coaches and student-athletes. Probably partially because he was from a small ND town himself, but also because he understood the passion ND kids would play with.

• Upvote 1

Successful coaches understand that relationships are important. HS coaches need to have good relationships with lower level youth, college coaches need good relationships with HS coaches NFL coaches need to have good relationships with management and they all need to understand how to have solid working relationships with players. If Muss or any other coach doesn't understand how to make a good impression on HS coaches and players, make them feel important and cultivate that relationship, they are in serious trouble. A HS coach I am friends with told me that he no longer returns phone calls or emails from two colleges because of the way they have treated him and players (he wouldn't tell me if UND was one of them).

If you think UND is fighting for local talent, think again. Go look at the 60 offers that have been made and then count the number of kids from nd, sd and mn. You will then understand how pathetic our coaching staff is at recruiting its own backyard.

These are all long shot offers to kids that will most likely end up at FBS schools. How many kids in the Region are getting series FBS looks? Not many and if UND offers the same kids as NDSU or SDSU for that matter we don't have much chance to get the kid. Until UND steps up and makes the playoffs, I don't think we have any shot at most of the top regional talent as long as they are getting an offer from almost any other FCS school in the region except maybe USD.

I few years ago everyone was talking about how we had to greatly expand our recruiting area to find the necessary talent to compete in D1 football. Now we apparently have a stockpile of talent in the backyard, enough for all the area teams to recruit and win. I want the good local talent to end up at UND but no matter what is done right now we don't win a head to head recruiting battle with NDSU.

Successful coaches understand that relationships are important. HS coaches need to have good relationships with lower level youth, college coaches need good relationships with HS coaches NFL coaches need to have good relationships with management and they all need to understand how to have solid working relationships with players. If Muss or any other coach doesn't understand how to make a good impression on HS coaches and players, make them feel important and cultivate that relationship, they are in serious trouble. A HS coach I am friends with told me that he no longer returns phone calls or emails from two colleges because of the way they have treated him and players (he wouldn't tell me if UND was one of them).

And instead of addressing it with the said coaches, he hurts his own players by eliminating two schools that could offer his players a free education and chance to play college football. Cool guy.

If a HS coach does that he is hurting his own athlete. Needs to grow up. If he has a problem with a college coach he needs to tell the college coach to grow up. Doesnt' ahve to say it in those words but communication goes both ways and if I am a college recruiter and you or you atheltes don't like my style then tell me so I can improve. If I don't improve, tell my AD.

And instead of addressing it with the said coaches, he hurts his own players by eliminating two schools that could offer his players a free education and chance to play college football. Cool guy.

Neither player was hurt, they both went on to play for other schools. You do need to understand how he and the players were treated before making a judgement. He told me the story and I was shocked that a college coach would act in that manner. Either way, a college should never walk away leaving a sour taste since they will likely be back.

Neither player was hurt, they both went on to play for other schools. You do need to understand how he and the players were treated before making a judgement. He told me the story and I was shocked that a college coach would act in that manner. Either way, a college should never walk away leaving a sour taste since they will likely be back.

Just curious was said coach a d1 coach and did said players receive d1 scholarships?

I ref high school football and have seen a few players that NDSU has offered scholarship money for. I know for a fact that they offered a kid from Towner at least a partial ride. Towner plays 9 man football. They also have Esley Thorton are Carson Wentz on their roster.

I ref high school football and have seen a few players that NDSU has offered scholarship money for. I know for a fact that they offered a kid from Towner at least a partial ride. Towner plays 9 man football. They also have Esley Thorton are Carson Wentz on their roster.

They currently have two big ND boys committed.

UND offered Wentz a full and didnt get him. Wanted Thornton as a safety/lb but he wanted to be a QB. Look what he ended up playing. Like I said, they have offered most all D1 type of players but have only gotten couple. UND has ND kids, just not as many as they would like.

Those two players weren't hurt but what about others when he won't return calls or messages from schools that are interested in them. I have a HS classmate who coached in central MN 10-15 years ago. He stumbled into a great situation and had a stud team. He told NDSU they couldn't talk to just 2 of his players, they needed to talk to all 5 he thought they should. NDSU recruiter walked away and never came back.

I understand what you are saying. Something must have happened. But, your example is two kids that had other offers anyway. How about the year he has a couple fringe guys and no offers are coming? Schools are going to ask who else offered and when they find out nobody, hello preferred walk-on! If said school that pissed him off is still involved, they create competition and possibly get his kid a partial offer. It only hurts the kids and parents when a coach shuts out schools. Let the kids decide.