SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

While I am also pleased that we got him, his stats are not stellar. He ran the ball 68 times for a total of 297 yards. He was a freshmen so he didn't get a whole lot of carries early. He played on a pretty decent team (7-3) so they weren't passing a bunch to "catch up".

He must be a qualifier or else he wouldn't be eligible to move to a D1 school after only one year of JC ball. I assume that is a corrrect statement?

Hopefully, he will be a dandy for us - very nice size and speed!

Looks like there was another RB on the team who is leaning towards going to Georgia Southern so I'd assume they were splitting carries. Oh what UND would've given for 4.4 YPC last year....

The team he was on was definitely on a pass first team. They only ran the ball 314 times for 1163 yards in 11 games (avg of 29 / 106 per game) vs 520 passing attempts for 3,991 yards (47 / 363). The team also had 6 different guys that had at least 20 carries (4 RB's and 2 QB's). Simmons had the second most carries on the team behind a sophomore who had 87 attempts. Tough to get a real good grasp from that. He looks good when he has the ball though.

Thanks for doing the additional research.

It's not the media's job to brown nose anybody; I seriously hate that stuff. But Mr. Reality Check's (Tom Miller's) article today was a bit of a cheap shot on a coach and a staff who have been on the job for just a little over a month, are announcing their very first recruiting class today and haven't even coached a single game yet. I am all for constructive criticism, but wait until there is something to actually criticize. And Miller shouldn't insinuate that the new regime will necessarily fail like the old one did; we won't know that for several years.

The thing is, if I don't believe a regime can bring us an FCS National Championship, I won't be happy. The staff hasn't even been in place for a month and already some are trying to say we won't fare any better than we did with Mussman? That's ridiculous and, quite frankly, unnecessarily stomps the hype and excitement that makes supporting the University of North Dakota so exciting. I want to cheer and support this team on to Frisco (or wherever the NC is played) and there doesn't need to be negative interjection right now. I WANT to believe this staff will give us a NC, and right now I have no reason to believe that won't happen - can't it remain like that until at least this fall?

• Upvote 1

So the 2013 class many thought was the best we have had in a long time if not ever, how does the 2014 class compare?

Not quite as much hype. Last year Carr Norberg Stockwell Reyes and Kuksa all had tons of hype. Not a ton of hype with this crew. I'll take substance over hype though. There are more under the radar kids like Ferguson. Who had heard of him before we offered. Then all of a sudden NDSU wanted him bad. I like this class. We'll see in two years.

Overall, this class is better than I thought we would get 6 weeks ago, but only time will tell just how good. We'll know in 2015 what we've got here, and if we don't get an FBS win and a playoff berth I'm going to be frustrated. We need to get something going here.

Overall, this class is better than I thought we would get 6 weeks ago, but only time will tell just how good. We'll know in 2015 what we've got here, and if we don't get an FBS win and a playoff berth I'm going to be frustrated. We need to get something going here.

The excitement surrounding the program right now is just step 1, but it sure is a fun step!

Coaches did a great job in one month. This looks like solid class. Now they need to add a couple who may have been passed over by FBS and coach 'em up. Great job with the coverage. This class has some kids with great potential. Curious as to what happened to Kellum. He could have run track here and we will have great indoor facility.

Bubba said they are not done recruiting. Bubba also said he was surprised to find out that one of the biggest draws to landing recruits was the Big Sky Conference. . He most of the recruits were really excited about playing in 9 different states up and down the western half of the United States. I can see where a lot of kids would think that sounds real exciting.

So the 2013 class many thought was the best we have had in a long time if not ever, how does the 2014 class compare?

I don't think this year's class is anywhere near as good as last year's but considering the short amount of time the coaching staff had I'm very happy with it. Of course, I also think last year's class is going to be the one everyone looks at as being the key to the turnaround in a few years.

I there are a lot of things to like in this year's class. I like the areas we recruited. I think the number of kids we got in each of the positions was about right. I think the class has plenty of talent. I like that there are a number of kids with strong academics.

I was initially a little worried about how well Bubba would be able to recruit, but after watching his press conference, I think there is a lot to be excited about with the future of UND football.

• Upvote 2

How would you guys grade this years recruits? I think UND got the people they needed in positions to move us forward. I know they weren't just "bodies to fill" as Bison Dan said on Bisonville. Now with Signing Day over...let the season begin!

Just say no to bville Darell! In all seriousness I think this class turned out much better than any of us could have imagined a month ago. Time will tell how good this class really is and bison dan is probably the least credible source out there so I wouldn't worry too much about him.

• Upvote 1