SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota Explorers

GeauxSioux

Every time I make an argument for Cavlary I get ripped so I chose to keep it simple. Not the best idea with people on this board. But I will say this, that the new name needs to be something that people can really get into cheering for and can be a great logo at the same time. I might not be explaining this the best. Nothing can replace the Fighting Sioux, so I just want something really good. Not explorers, oilers, something better. The fans and citizens deserve it to be awesome!

Agreed.

lewisclarkgiants.jpg

"Pathfinders" - all figures in kelly green, of course - and the middle image may have to be omitted in order to prevent the hyperventilating of those with ridiculously hyperactive sensibilities (academics that live in fear of offending their own shadows, those of their ilk, their apologists, etc.).

Calvary eh? Would be quite a powerful logo.

calvary.jpg

dmksioux beat me to the reason why I think Cavalry is not a good option. Too many people get it mixed up with Calvary in spelling and pronunciation. As for JohnBoyND7's logo, I'm still wiping my computer screen off of the bevarage I was trying to drink when I saw that post. That is hilarious!

• Upvote 1

How about the UND Bombers?

• We have an Aviation school.
  • We have an Air Force Base (as does Minot).
  • The Unmanned Ariel Systems mission is taking off at Grand Forks AFB.
  • It's simple and straightforward, which North Dakotans (and Midwesterners) always like.
  • It's not wimpy (like Sundogs, Flames or Spirit).
  • I could think of some really cool logos we could use!

What say you all?

Cavalry and Roughriders are my two favorite names as well - both are good, traditional-style team names, with a strong tie to our state's history.

John

We could just be the "Fighting 7th". Hey, George Costanza was going to name his kid "Seven", why can't we just be the 7th. Seriously, some people would be offended by the Cavalry. We can't be proud of Sioux heritage, and I would think some would find fault if we took pride in our own heritage with Cavalry as well. That is how it is with the politically correct crowd, no rhyme nor reason.

Well Phil Jackson and one of the NA nickname opponents (Ron or Jesse) both expressed support for Roughriders as the new name...that's pretty much the same as Cavalry in my book...surprised they would be in favor of any such name.