SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky/WAC Merger

GeauxSioux

Lest we forget, when it was announced that UND was accepted to the Big Sky it was also announced that UND has no buy-out if they left the BSC. (I do believe there are certain situations or conditions are attached but were never clearly spelled out.)

I think the BSC will allow UND to leave if they notify them if they are thinking of leaving instead of notifying them on a last minute type of thing.

does anyone know exactly what ndac's buyout is? and would there be two of them one from summit and one for mvfc?

Trusting my memory here, but I believe NDSU has to stay in the Summit for 8 years or it's a $250k buyout.

Similarly, I believe NDSU has to stay in the MVFC for 8 years or it too is a separate $250k buyout.

NDSU would actually be a very nice 8th football school.

1. We continue to hear the story of how happy NDSU is in their present Summit / MVFC arrangement. Let that dog sleep.

2. NDSU's end dream is the Missouri Valley Conference (all sports).

3. NDSU would never go anywhere where it would appear that they had to ride in on UND's coat tails to get in (especially if it were true).

Trusting my memory here, but I believe NDSU has to stay in the Summit for 8 years or it's a $250k buyout.

Similarly, I believe NDSU has to stay in the MVFC for 8 years or it too is a separate $250k buyout.

How many used tractors would they have to sell to afford their buyout?

You mean like you've been doing for the last 8 years. Only trouble is you have been failing to keep up...

I don't see how you can remotely claim UND has ridden NDSU's coat tails.

UND got into the conference that NDSU once aspired to (and got rejected by).

• Upvote 2

You are kidding, right? Why would you ever want to elevate them up to the Big Sky?

Well, yeah I am. This proposal is to keep the WAC alive for non-football sports. The idea is that the Big Sky will be the football conference, and share a few teams to keep the WAC viable until Big Sky teams are ready and willing to move up. There is no WAC football in this proposal (yet).

Stealing this data from "NoDak" (cough-wemissyoustar2city-cough) from another board:

Athletic Budgets:

New Mex St $27

Idaho $17.5

Boise St $37.5 (much of it football)

Seattle Not avail

Denver ($28 per Puck Swami)

North Dakota $18.7

Montana $18.7

Montana St $20.7

Sacramento St $17.4

Portland St $11.4

Idaho St $10.5

E Wash $10.2

Weber St $11.0

S Utah $9.3

N Colo $11.0

N Ariz $10.7

Bakersfield $9.5

Utah Valley $9.1

Who are the top 3 academically on that list? Denver, Idaho, and North Dakota. Why mention that? School presidents, not ADs or fans, make conference decisions.

The way NoDak says it, UND and the Montana's would join The new WAC... Pretty nice conference of flagship schools and major market schools if it happens.

Idaho

New Mexico State

Denver

Seattle

Boise(?)

Montana

Montana State

North Dakota

Portland

Sacramento

Actually sounds like a strong conference

I just listened to the interview with Fullerton and I am not sure that I like his comments about the Big Sky loaning teams to the WAC for Oly sports and I don't think he is going to give up the 5 schools noted above.. IMO he is thinking more like 2 schools (UND and UNC). If you look at what’s left of the WAC. You have 4 schools and 2 potential BE/WAC shared schools. If you add UND and UNC you have the following.

Idaho

New Mexico State

Denver

Seattle

Boise St. BE/WAC

AFA BE/WAC - I have read comments about AFA joining Navy in the Big East.

UND

UNC

The only additional change would be Idaho, Denver or Boise St. adding baseball to meet the new conference requirements noted below. Boise St. would be the most likely candidate given the additional money they would get from joining the Big East.

- I think that Denver/Seattle would be OK with adding UND and UNC given no other alternatives are available (WCC has said no several time to both).

- AFA and Boise get a reasonable conference that is Denver centric to reduce travel costs.

- Idaho and NMSU get additional time to determine if they are going to go Indy/FCS/Other.

- UND/UNC get a reasonable conference that is Denver centric and if it fails they get to go back to the Big Sky.

- Big Sky reduces travel costs for most of its schools.

Again, not really excited by the interview but this is what I thought of when I listened to Fullerton's interview.

****************************************************************************************************************

A conference must have seven active Division I members that sponsor men’s and women’s basketball and that the conference sponsor a minimum of six men’s sports and six women’s sports.

NOTE: A conference must have 6 teams to sponsor a sport (I think?).

http://www.ncaa.com/...t-wac-auto-bids

I just listened to the interview with Fullerton and I am not sure that I like his comments about the Big Sky loaning teams to the WAC for Oly sports and I don't think he is going to give up the 5 schools noted above.. IMO he is thinking more like 2 schools (UND and UNC). If you look at what’s left of the WAC. You have 4 schools and 2 potential BE/WAC shared schools. If you add UND and UNC you have the following.

Idaho

New Mexico State

Denver

Seattle

Boise St. BE/WAC

AFA BE/WAC - I have read comments about AFA joining Navy in the Big East.

UND

UNC

The only additional change would be Idaho, Denver or Boise St. adding baseball to meet the new conference requirements noted below. Boise St. would be the most likely candidate given the additional money they would get from joining the Big East.

- I think that Denver/Seattle would be OK with adding UND and UNC given no other alternatives are available (WCC has said no several time to both).

- AFA and Boise get a reasonable conference that is Denver centric to reduce travel costs.

- Idaho and NMSU get additional time to determine if they are going to go Indy/FCS/Other.

- UND/UNC get a reasonable conference that is Denver centric and if it fails they get to go back to the Big Sky.

- Big Sky reduces travel costs for most of its schools.

Again, not really excited by the interview but this is what I thought of when I listened to Fullerton's interview.

****************************************************************************************************************

A conference must have seven active Division I members that sponsor men’s and women’s basketball and that the conference sponsor a minimum of six men’s sports and six women’s sports.

NOTE: A conference must have 6 teams to sponsor a sport (I think?).

http://www.ncaa.com/...t-wac-auto-bids

But the Montana schools have aspirations of FBS. They would want to be part of the vehicle (WAC) to get them there. I don't think UND would be very keen on the idea of going somewhere without UM/MSU.

By what measure? This one? Or this one?

Really? you win a couple of games and that's proof of what? That you won a couple of games. You guys are so delusional - why don't you go win an important game and then we'll talk. After you guys couldn't take the success we had during our transition so you followed us into DI. Time to get off our coat tails and make a name for yourselves in the BSC. I won't hold my breath.

Love him, hate him, miss him, whatever, here are the thoughts of "NoDak" about who wants to align with whom if all this were to come to pass.

And to the point GeauxSioux drew out, is the BSC really interested in saving the WAC? Well, if you mean "Fullerton" when you say the BSC, no. He'd rather have Idaho back in the BSC and be done (and have one less competing conference to his BSC in the west).

If you mean "Montana and Montana State (and probably three other BSC schools)" when you say BSC, yes. Montana and Montana State (and the others) want to keep an FBS option open to them in the west. The only way to do that is to keep the WAC alive (even if it is on life-support for a while).

All I know is that Faison is "crazy like fox" in getting a "$0 buy out" from the BSC for UND when UND joined.

UND may be the BSC-noob right now, but

- UND's AD came from current WAC member NMSU

- UND's academics rank above everyone in the BSC (and only behind DU and Idaho in this BSC / WAC conversation)

- UND has a $0 buy out from the BSC if they exercise it correctly

- UND got into the BSC for some reason (and the suspicion is that Montana and Montana State wanted a name, national school with aspirations and potential for higher levels)

Those things make me smile because they put UND in a very nice position as all this unfolds.

Mr. Faison has done some very good things in his time in Grand Forks. I wonder if he has one or two more things for us.

Love him, hate him, miss him, whatever, here are the thoughts of "NoDak" (same link as above):

I was reading through this thread yesterday morning and I thought this post was very interesting. It does make sense and seems to be well thought out. I was thinking to myself that this guy could be star. Some of the responses to this were interesting and "NoDak" definitely backed up his arguments well. Anyone know why he stopped posting here? I really enjoyed his insight.

Really? you win a couple of games and that's prove of what? That you won a couple of games. You guys are so delusional - why don't you go win an important game and then we'll talk. After you guys couldn't take the success we had during our transition so you followed us into DI. Time to get off our coat tails and make a name for yourselves in the BSC. I won't hold my breath.

62-45-3...

Stealing this data from "NoDak" (cough-wemissyoustar2city-cough) from another board:

Athletic Budgets:

New Mex St $27

Idaho $17.5

Boise St $37.5 (much of it football)

Seattle Not avail

Denver ($28 per Puck Swami)

North Dakota $18.7

Montana $18.7

Montana St $20.7

Sacramento St $17.4

Portland St $11.4

Idaho St $10.5

E Wash $10.2

Weber St $11.0

S Utah $9.3

N Colo $11.0

N Ariz $10.7

Bakersfield $9.5

Utah Valley $9.1

Who are the top 3 academically on that list? Denver, Idaho, and North Dakota. Why mention that? School presidents, not ADs or fans, make conference decisions.

Isn't this surprisingly high for a non-football school? Their travel couldn't have been worse than what we've been doing. Do they sponsor that many more sports and scholarships than us?

Isn't this surprisingly high for a non-football school? Their travel couldn't have been worse than what we've been doing. Do they sponsor that many more sports and scholarships than us?

You have to remember that number more than likely includes scholarship costs (and DU being private is not cheap).

You can see the sports they sponsor here: http://www.denverpioneers.com/

DU isn't listed in here, http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1 , because they are private.