SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky/WAC Merger

GeauxSioux

On either a related or unrelated note, Montana has a press conference scheduled for 11:00 today......................................

Speculation on that falls into one of two categories:

- removing the "interim" from the title of their current head FB coach

- preliminary findings report from the NCAA investigations into rape allegations surrounding the Montana FB team

IMO, if Montana wouldn't join the WAC when schools like Nevada, Utah St., and Fresno were still part of it, they are not going to join what is left of the WAC now.

On either a related or unrelated note, Montana has a press conference scheduled for 11:00 today......................................

I vote unrelated (per SFI retweet)

Interesting off topic quote from Fullerton

"Answer: I was born and raised in Hamilton, Montana, so I remember the old Division II days when you had the two Dakotas, the two Montanas, you had Sac State and San Diego State at that time in the Division II world. That's a long time ago, I understand, but still I remember that you went through one of those six schools if you wanted to get anywhere in Division II. Those old rivalries, to me, will be rekindled. We're the same kind of people. I think it's extremely healthy for the game."

As of now, the WAC has 2 football playing schools with Idaho and NMSU. There is some speculation that 4-5 Big Sky schools (UM/MSU/PSU/EWU/UND) may be a part of the WAC at some point which would put the WAC at 6-7 schools for football. Ideally a football conference would like to be at 10 schools. Perhaps the WAC adds a few schools now just to stay afloat. Meanwhile, the Big Sky "lends" a few schools for Olympic sports (UM/MSU/PSU/UND/EWU) with the hopes of moving their football program to WAC-FBS down the road. If the WAC does add a few eastern/southeastern schools, my guess is that they won't be there long term due to geography. Hopefully UND is able to hook onto the Montana schools and keeps their options open.

• Upvote 1

Could this new WAC football be both FCS and FBS? Scheduling alliance with these new move ups agreeing to be FBS in a certain time frame while Idaho and nmsu scheduling the minimum games needed against FBS to maintain that title for a year or three?

Or since Idaho doesn't wanna downgrade to FCS Big Sky maybe they agree to "temporarily" drop to WAC FCS with certain former Big Sky schools.

Highly unlikely. The WAC will do everything it can to preserve it's FBS status. If it loses that, chances are, they won't be able to regain it. Keeping Idaho and NMSU at the FBS level will allow the WAC to keep it's FBS status for at least 2 years.

It would seem to me that UM, MSU, and UND would have some branding appeal that would appeal to UI, NMSU, Seattle, and Denver. Not to mention the similarities in academic standards and mission statements. PSU would also be another ideal addition to such a conference, they have a good size student population and are located in a media market without a professional sports team (their academics are not to shabby either). I wouldn't mind seeing UND move up to D1A prematurely if they were in sound company, I would hate to think that we would replace Idaho as having the worst football facilities in all of FBS.

It would seem to me that UM, MSU, and UND would have some branding appeal that would appeal to UI, NMSU, Seattle, and Denver. Not to mention the similarities in academic standards and mission statements. PSU would also be another ideal addition to such a conference, they have a good size student population and are located in a media market without a professional sports team (their academics are not to shabby either). I wouldn't mind seeing UND move up to D1A prematurely if they were in sound company, I would hate to think that we would replace Idaho as having the worst football facilities in all of FBS.

I can see adding NDSU into this mix. The South Dakota schools are going to be tied to the Summit, with the Summit BB in Sioux Falls every year.

A good read. And a dream conference for all.

http://ordinary-gentlemen.com/burtlikko/2012/05/how-to-save-the-western-athletic-conference/

"The “big fish, little pond” thing is overrated. North Dakota State would have garnered more attention in the Idaho Potato Bowl than they did in the FCS national championship game (at least the Potato Bowl is a part of betting pools) and NDSU had to play more ignored and money-losing playoff games to get there. The MVC and CAA/A-10 have their niche, but the latter is hurting as well."

i don't see the montanas "personally" getting und into the bsc one year and the next ditching them for the wac? they will bring und (and maybe ndac) with them whereever they go...as for the alerus would the 15k rule be ok with we have 13k in the main arena and 2k somewhere else inthe building (standing room only in the ballroom watching on cctv?)...also with the new pit being dug in the south endzone that pretty much elimnates any expansion south to add anymore seats unless you wanna admit you just threw away another million dollars?

i don't see the montanas "personally" getting und into the bsc one year and the next ditching them for the wac? they will bring und (and maybe ndac) with them whereever they go...as for the alerus would the 15k rule be ok with we have 13k in the main arena and 2k somewhere else inthe building (standing room only in the ballroom watching on cctv?)...also with the new pit being dug in the south endzone that pretty much elimnates any expansion south to add anymore seats unless you wanna admit you just threw away another million dollars?

Ummmm.....was this a serious question? Ballroom attendance counting for total attendace? Could we count the people watching in Taven United and in their hotel rooms in the Canad Inn as well?? Obviously it is stadium attendance. Come on man!!

Ummmm.....was this a serious question? Ballroom attendance counting for total attendace? Could we count the people wathcing in Taven united and in their hotel rooms in the Canad Inn?? Obviously it is stadium attendance.

I tried making this case a while back. I occasionally go to the Superdome and watch the Saints. At the Club Level there are Club Rooms for people to get cocktails and eats. Some of these folks never make it back inside of the arena area, opting to watch the game on televisiion and relax in the Club Room. Yes, they paid for a ticket and have a seat inside, but if UND needed to do something to get to the 15,000 why wouldn't this work? Have a reduced ticket for the "UND Pavillion" They would be in the same building, watching the same game.

The better question is who is going to pay for that ticket?

Who sits in a bar for hours on end? Well.... I used to.

I'm sure the folks at the Alumni Association could create a desirable, fun environment for watching games.

Like I said, I see people at Saints games who sit in the Club rooms and watch the games.

Tweet from Brian Murphy from the Idaho Statesman via SFI....

WAC commish Hurd says there isn't enough schools looking to make move up in 2013. Would need 6 more.

another from Murphy via Tom Miller...

WAC commish says possibility of deal with Big Sky "has lost momentum in the last week." "More unlikely than likely to happen."

A lot from Scott Blio.. http://bilofootball.blogspot.com/

Jeff Hurd's comments...

• WAC and Big Sky have had several conversations about a WAC/Big Sky merger, but it has lost steam in recent weeks.
  • Discussion was not about a merger, but a concept of sharing for auto qualification expansion in NCAA Tournament in basketball.
  • Priotirty is to make it to tomorrow. Football is still a priority, but not realistic in 2013.
  • Priority is now to save the WAC as a non-football entity.
  • FBS, 8 teams is a requirement, but the WAC is in a 2 year waiver period for that rule.
  • 2013 is also a waiver period year.

A long way out for this one...

• Need 6 more feasible FBS programs for football, and decision would need to be made before June 1st.

I can see this heating up again after the football season is over, as you are not playoff eligible if you announce you are moving up prior to that time.

A discounted ticket, a big screen projector (presumably) and the ability to go tailgating? I'm sure there'd be a good crowd that would take part in something like that.

Let's try to fill the Alerus Center seats before we talk about overflow into the ballroom or anywhere else. If you want to come tailgaiting and watch the game.....go to the actual game!! Tickets aren't that expensive. Last I checked you could get season tickets for as low as $60.

Let's try to fill the Alerus Center seats before we talk about overflow into the ballroom or anywhere else. If you want to come tailgaiting and watch the game.....go to the actual game!! Tickets aren't that expensive. Last I checked you could get season tickets for as low as $60.

"Lighten up Francis". ;) It was just an exercise in how to get to 15,000.

• Upvote 1