SiouxSports.com Forum

UND/Midco 5 year contract

GeauxSioux

Cripes, can't they put the games on Pay per view or something? I would gladly pay $99 for the home games every season...somebody must have crunched the numbers; with all the viewers they have been getting on the Fox College channels their should be enough meat on the bone to make a little profit...Offer it through Direct TV, Dish Network, Comcast in the Twin Cities...I don't want to go back to webcasts!

I guess I can always just listen to Hennessy on internet radio... ???

In the past, Big Sky games have been available on webcast for free. Quality was fairly good at most venues, definitely watchable. Not sure if this will continue, but I haven't heard otherwise.

The Big Sky broadcasts have been FTA, uplinked to satellite, and not encrypted yet last year, so they may be available.

only Montana and Montana state games as they go statewide.....Root Sports uses fibre normally

Cripes, can't they put the games on Pay per view or something? I would gladly pay $99 for the home games every season...somebody must have crunched the numbers; with all the viewers they have been getting on the Fox College channels their should be enough meat on the bone to make a little profit...Offer it through Direct TV, Dish Network, Comcast in the Twin Cities...I don't want to go back to webcasts!

I guess I can always just listen to Hennessy on internet radio... ???

If you have Dish or Directv you could add the sports pack....and get the games

If you have Dish or Directv you could add the sports pack....and get the games

True for the ROOT broadcasts, but not for the Midco Sports Net broadcasts (which includes all home hockey games not available on ROOT). I think Blackheart was commenting on the entire Midco package.

only Montana and Montana state games as they go statewide.....Root Sports uses fibre normally

Not sure what you're referring to here, but many Big Sky football games were broadcast in HD, FTA, on I believe the 123W satellite (not just Montana games). Didn't get them, since I didn't have an HD box, but others did. They may not have been ROOT telecasts, but something else?

Its a bit of a quandry, seems you need to have both Midco and Directv (or dishnetwork) to get all the available broadcasts, or just hope that at the last minute there will be some notice that a game you would not otherwise get will be webcast. I get Midco here in southeast SD so I get the hockey games and most of the football, but I would also like to get Root. Since UND is in the Big Sky all the games are of interest, even the ones UND is not playing in. Very hard to plan for receiving webcasts since they typically are not announced until just a few days before a game.

Its a bit of a quandry, seems you need to have both Midco and Directv (or dishnetwork) to get all the available broadcasts, or just hope that at the last minute there will be some notice that a game you would not otherwise get will be webcast. I get Midco here in southeast SD so I get the hockey games and most of the football, but I would also like to get Root. Since UND is in the Big Sky all the games are of interest, even the ones UND is not playing in. Very hard to plan for receiving webcasts since they typically are not announced until just a few days before a game.

The nice thing about the Big Sky is that every game that is played in a Big Sky venue is available on their webcast. Doesn't include hockey but it shouldn't leave you guessing as to what game's you'll be able to see. Also a great way to keep tabs on our new conference rivals without worrying about what channel's going to broadcast the game. I've been pretty satisfied with the quality of webcasts when I hook my laptop to my flatscreen with an HDMI cable.

• Upvote 1

True for the ROOT broadcasts, but not for the Midco Sports Net broadcasts (which includes all home hockey games not available on ROOT). I think Blackheart was commenting on the entire Midco package.

Correct.

The nice thing about the Big Sky is that every game that is played in a Big Sky venue is available on their webcast.

Well that is relevant news. Does that involve registering at each university's website, or do you suppose the UND road game feeds would be picked up by UND Insider?

Well that is relevant news. Does that involve registering at each university's website, or do you suppose the UND road game feeds would be picked up by UND Insider?

All home games I believe will still be on UNDInsider. All big Sky venue games will be broadcast on Big Sky TV: http://bigskyconf.com/sports/2009/8/14/BigSKYTV81509.aspx?

As someone said earlier the quality of Big Sky TV is generally pretty good. Also I heard through the grapevine that UND was working on improving the quality of our internet feed; which leads me to believe that it has something to do with Midco Sports. That is all I know at this point.

No, the Big Sky has their own streaming service called Big Sky TV. From the link provided above:

"The Big Sky Conference has teamed with America One (formerly B2 Networks) to bring you this season's action. Fans can enjoy all football, volleyball, men's and women's basketball games played in Big Sky venues for free."

• 2 weeks later...

Could it be that we are losing Pat Sweeney but returning to ... Hammer Time!

RT @MikeMcFeelyKFGO: Sources telling me Dan Hammer leaving Valley News Live for Midcontinent Sports in Grand Forks.

Given the nature of the new Midco deal, I wonder if Dan Hammer wouldn't do both hockey and football for TV.

I'd take that in a minute.

• Upvote 2

Given the nature of the new Midco deal, I wonder if Dan Hammer wouldn't do both hockey and football for TV.

Hey, you beat me to it! :)

This would be a major upgrade in quality of coverage! Man, things just keep getting better and better for UND sports!

I like the moves that Midco is making of late. It reminds me of the old "MSC" (now FSN) back in its infancy. If Midco takes the same trajectory (albeit on a bit smaller scale, as we don't have a huge anchor market like the Twin Cities), it could be a very powerful media force in the Dakotas and whatever other markets it eventually conquers. It's huge that UND is becoming a major part of Midco so early. The upside and potential for growth is incredible. Right now the Midco empire spans a lot of North and South Dakota, except for an island that Cable One clings to in Fargo (but not West Fargo, which has Midco), various markets in western Minnesota and smatterings beyond. I think Midco is poised to conquer more ground, taking UND along for the ride!

Dan Hammer replacing Pat Sweeney.....Yep, that's a good thing!!!

So from what I'm reading Hammer will be doing the play by play, correct?

Why not bring Pat back for Color Commentary??? He seems to be better at that than play-by-play anyways, talking about all the old stories, and knowing random UND facts/connections...

Just a thought! :whistling:

I would love to see a former Sioux hockey player be a color commentator with Hammer. Got to be some former player out there that would be good. What's Brad Miller doing these days??!!! :)

So from what I'm reading Hammer will be doing the play by play, correct?

Why not bring Pat back for Color Commentary??? He seems to be better at that than play-by-play anyways, talking about all the old stories, and knowing random UND facts/connections...

Just a thought! :whistling:

UND wanted Pat back because they knew excatly what he brought to the table (his knowledge of Sioux Sports) each night. Calling a few games back in the 80's and following Sioux sports now does not make you an expert (Hammer). I for one hope this blows up in Midcos face and they come crawling back to Pat. As far as color guy goes, I am sure they will be calling Jim Scanlan to do the games, as he was never under contract with WDAZ.

• Upvote 1

Despite the fact that Pat Sweeney has been accused of being a major homer and rather dull while calling games, I have always enjoyed him.

Having said that, Dan Hammer is an excellent choice as a replacement. I always felt he was quite good as the radio guy for North Dakota football, and he is much better on TV than on radio.