SiouxSports.com Forum

UND/Midco 5 year contract

GeauxSioux

http://www.gobison.c...TCLID=205587413

NDSU's new TV deal looks really good...especially if KVLY can utilize their HD technology. One question on this though, wasn't Brian Shawn hired to do some analytical work for UND this year?

He was going to be your sideline reporter, but Hoak hired him away when Dan Hammer left for Midco Sports.

That's great...good pickup, I enjoy Brian's work...so who's roaming the sidelines for UND now?

I can't spill the beans just yet because it isn't officially finalized, but we do have a new plan in place for that role. We're pretty excited about both the radio and television crews we'll have in place for the upcoming year.

I am disappointed if it is true that UND has ended the relationship with FCS this year. I could have dumped my extended sports package in May. I didn't because I am waiting to hear what is going on the TV contracts and I understand the need to be supportive of the new hockey conference. But, FCS was nice because I had one place to go to watch all UND sports. Now, it is all over the place and I don't live in the ROOT sports or Midco coverage areas. The only choice that I have is with SiouxInsider... big step back.

I would guess that restrictions from new and upcoming conferences plus 5 annual checks from Midco Sports Net had something to do with it.

I understand why they did it, I just don't agree with it. The deal between CBS and the NCHC and exclusivity of it is what killed the deal with FCS. FCS wanted hockey, and to get that UND required many other sports to be televised. The deal with FCS was revenue neutral. Now, the university will get $250,000 a year and more televised games, but they will only be available to about 200,000 homes, rather than than the 50 million+ homes that FCS provided.

It is an unfortunate move.

I just checked Fox College Sports schedule on their website, and they don't have either of the first two football games scheduled. Doesn't necessarily mean they won't have Hockey, but over the past two seasons, anything that was on FSSN, was also on FCS. So I don't take it as a good sign........................... :sad:

I have found on my DirecTV that the games will show up as we get closer to the time of the event.

I understand why they did it, I just don't agree with it. The deal between CBS and the NCHC and exclusivity of it is what killed the deal with FCS. FCS wanted hockey, and to get that UND required many other sports to be televised. The deal with FCS was revenue neutral. Now, the university will get $250,000 a year and more televised games, but they will only be available to about 200,000 homes, rather than than the 50 million+ homes that FCS provided.

In looking at the different sports channels on DirecTV I have to wonder "if there" will be regional versions of CBS Sports Net much like some of the other sports channels. For example FSN has a couple of different channels... I guess I am holding out hope because I remember when the NCHC was formed the AD talked about having all of UND games on TV.

Edited by Goon

I have found on my DirecTV that the games will show up as we get closer to the time of the event.

I was going off of the schedule that FCS posts on their website. Last season, you could find any UND games scheduled there about 6 weeks in advance.

In looking at the different sports channels on DirecTV I have to wonder "if there" will be regional versions of CBS Sports Net much like some of the other sports channels. For example FSN has a couple of different channels...

That would be great, but I don't think it will be so. CBS-SN, like NBC-SN is a national channel. FSN, like the rest of the Fox sports channels are regional. The Big Ten Network is really the only "national" channel that has "regional" alternates................

The FCS deal may have been costing UND money. They were part of the production process and I don't know if that was costing them money or not. For instance, satellite time costs a lot of money. The national availability was great, but most of those 50+ million homes never watched a minute of a UND game. Yes, alumni and other fans around the country will be losing availability and that hurts. But I am still convinced that the changing technology will make most games available in more homes in a decent quality product over the internet during the length of the contract. That plus the income could make this a win for the athletic department over the next 5 years.

The games on FCS didn't cost UND money. The prior affiliations were revenue neutral. My issue is the availability of games. It is not so convenient for older alumni to figure out how to hook their computer (if they have one) to their plasma TV (if they have one) so they can watch poor video of a hockey game. For the last two years, all they had to do was flip on their TV, and the game was there if they wanted to watch it.

• Upvote 1

Whoever negotiated the NCHC tv contract should be fired. Give CBS SN their choice of games, but there is absolutely no reason the NCHC should have given up the national rights of games CBS SN wasn't airing.

So we gave up national coverage of all home hockey games plus many of our other sports just so schools like St Clown can get 1 or 2 games broadcast. This is exactly why Notre Dame ended up not joining.

/rant

The games on FCS didn't cost UND money. The prior affiliations were revenue neutral. My issue is the availability of games. It is not so convenient for older alumni to figure out how to hook their computer (if they have one) to their plasma TV (if they have one) so they can watch poor video of a hockey game. For the last two years, all they had to do was flip on their TV, and the game was there if they wanted to watch it.

It isn't that hard to hook up. Or their kids and grandkids could hook it up for them. The quality is getting better all the time. They had to pay for the extra sports channels. It was great to have but it wasn't the only solution.

Games on the internet are available to a lot more alumni. And is probably less costly until they start charging for broadcasts. As the technology to broadcast over the internet continues to improve, this will become a much more viable solution. Plus, more games in more sports will be available with Big Sky Television.

I trust people that are paid to make these decisions more than people on the internet that may not know, or take into consideration, the entire picture.

It isn't that hard to hook up. Or their kids and grandkids could hook it up for them. The quality is getting better all the time. They had to pay for the extra sports channels. It was great to have but it wasn't the only solution.

Games on the internet are available to a lot more alumni. And is probably less costly until they start charging for broadcasts. As the technology to broadcast over the internet continues to improve, this will become a much more viable solution. Plus, more games in more sports will be available with Big Sky Television.

I trust people that are paid to make these decisions more than people on the internet that may not know, or take into consideration, the entire picture.

I think at this point you put too much stock into the value of watching television online. And this is coming from a true techno-nerd that has the internet piped to every TV in my house, along with over-the-air, free-to-air satellite, and DirecTV. My point is that geeks like me are the exception rather than the rule. With UND Insider, Big Sky TV, random satellite feeds shooting through space, and season tickets for football and hockey, I'm all set. But my grandma in Arizona, and my aunts and uncles in Alaska are now out of luck along with tens of thousands of others.

I also trust the people who make these decisions. I may have mis-spoke when I said UND voluntarily went away from Fox. The NCHC made that decision for them. The HD that CBS will provide for hockey will be great. But I'd gladly take 20 UND hockey games in standard definition versus 4 or 5 games in high definition. And actually, all of the members of the NCHC would have been on TV more if Denver and UND would have stayed with Fox rather than going with CBS.

• Upvote 1

Whoever negotiated the NCHC tv contract should be fired. Give CBS SN their choice of games, but there is absolutely no reason the NCHC should have given up the national rights of games CBS SN wasn't airing.

So we gave up national coverage of all home hockey games plus many of our other sports just so schools like St Clown can get 1 or 2 games broadcast. This is exactly why Notre Dame ended up not joining.

/rant

I don't understand why the members of the conference agreed to the CBS deal given the exclusivity clause in it. It makes no sense for all the member schools to agree to televise fewer games than they have in the past.