SiouxSports.com Forum

UND/Midco 5 year contract

GeauxSioux

I understand that technology is improving and that webcasts can work well in certain situations...but for the majority of people, not having the games on tv is a deal breaker from either a technology or quality standpoint...UND will make more money with the new deal but loses HUGE in exposure...it would be interesting to know the viewership of the Sioux hockey games on FCS for the past few years...

• Upvote 1

That would be great, but I don't think it will be so. CBS-SN, like NBC-SN is a national channel. FSN, like the rest of the Fox sports channels are regional. The Big Ten Network is really the only "national" channel that has "regional" alternates................

I am sure we will find out something in the next year...

For those in Fargo with Cable One here is an email I got from them reguarding picking up Midco's UND games...

We are waiting for the complete information from MidContinent before we know what will happen. Unfortunately these things take time but we are working on getting UND Sports.

Sincerely,

Cable ONE

So hopefully by the first game they get it signed, sealed, and broadcasted.

For those in Fargo with Cable One here is an email I got from them reguarding picking up Midco's UND games...

Well that's encouraging, I guess. At least they aren't saying "no". This would be a serious hit if the games are no longer on CableOne. You have an entire generation of UND Hockey fans that are suddenly going to have to deal with not seeing the home games. Let's make this happen.

For me, this is the biggest off-season issue. Bigger than players going pro or the Sioux nickname vote because we pretty much knew how the latter would end up.

Well that's encouraging, I guess. At least they aren't saying "no". This would be a serious hit if the games are no longer on CableOne. You have an entire generation of UND Hockey fans that are suddenly going to have to deal with not seeing the home games. Let's make this happen.

For me, this is the biggest off-season issue. Bigger than players going pro or the Sioux nickname vote because we pretty much knew how the latter would end up.

It will be a hit on fans of all UND sports like me where football and hockey are 1 and 2. I also would like to see UND basketball and volleyball. I can hope this year the UND-NDSU basketball game (or games) will be on tv even though its in Fargo unlike in 2010.

Wasnt the d1 move supposed to increase exposure and visibility? Seems like we are limiting it now

Even the Little Sister to the South has every game on statewide tv. Hopefully we will have the same options as last year for those of us outside the Midco area. For those in Fargo the head honcho at CableOne has a full sized Buffalo in front of his house. And I also believe he is a Teammaker. Can you imagine the pressure he gets to keep UND Athletics out of Fargo?????

• Upvote 2

Slightly off topic, but still related to broadcasting, I wonder who will fill the void left by Sean Johnson's departure?

UND Athletics announces administrative promotions

Paul Ralston has been promoted from director of sales to director of broadcast properties.

Ralston had served as the director of sales for UND Athletics since July 2009. He has also served as radio play-by-play and voice of UND basketball, alternating between men's and women's basketball at various times since 2005.

His duties will include formatting and production of all radio broadcasts, coordination of distribution of daily radio updates to affiliates, addressing advertiser client fulfillment and assisting with other media efforts of the athletics department. He will continue to serve as the play-by-play radio voice of UND men's basketball.

Sean Johnson basically called over the radio any women's basketball games that Ralston was not able to over the past two years. Since that artilce mentions that Ralston will specifically do men's basketball, I assume they have somebody else lined up to do most if not all women's basketball games.

Even the Little Sister to the South has every game on statewide tv. Hopefully we will have the same options as last year for those of us outside the Midco area. For those in Fargo the head honcho at CableOne has a full sized Buffalo in front of his house. And I also believe he is a Teammaker. Can you imagine the pressure he gets to keep UND Athletics out of Fargo? ????

That's ok. West Fargo is the "new Fargo," anyway. Its population is exploding and will probabaly consume Horace in the future. West Fargo has Midco.

All these techno talk confuses me so I have one simple question. If we were watching games on Fox College last year in AZ now the only way the games we will get the games is with a internet stream?

Looks that way right now...

Looks that way right now...

That bites big. You would think that alums may get a little upset with this. Easier to get money from people when you can follow the team. Probably really will not matter though because it is proven that UND fans love the university more than just the sports programs.

On a related topic, we all know what the viewing optins or likely viewing options for all of the football games except San Diego State, of which there don't seemto be any. Would anyone care to speculate or better yet have any knowledge of options that might become available as the date of this game draws closer? ESPN3 maybe?

Since the Mountain West network is now defunct, I would think ESPN3 would be a safe bet. I could also see ROOT picking up the game as it would fit with their footprint and viewing area pretty well and also be a way to showcase a Big Sky team. I have no idea if ROOT picks up games this late or if they have their programming set already but that would be a nice option.

All-

We certainly understand the consternation many of you have conveyed. I'll address a number of things discussed in this thread in the very near future, including the upgrades to our webcasts we are implementing for this upcoming year. Need to knock some other things off the ol' to-do list first, though.

Jason, a lot of us are wondering if it is the near future yet?

All these techno talk confuses me so I have one simple question. If we were watching games on Fox College last year in AZ now the only way the games we will get the games is with a internet stream?

I don't know if FCS was still showing this year's hockey games or not but page 17 of the football media guide released today shows that Midco is showing an "x" amount of games for all sports, FCS is showing ALL home mens hockey games and that Root Sports is televising the Montana game.

Like I said, I don't know if the FCS plan included this year or not but it appears that everyone will get to watch hockey for at least one more year.