SiouxSports.com Forum

UND/Midco 5 year contract

GeauxSioux

I thought UND Sports Extra was going to be on UND Insider. I don't see it.....................

UND Sports Extra will once again be available on-demand at UNDSports.com. Last night's episode is not yet up, but should be in the near future. TEASER ALERT: We've been somewhat tied up the past few days with, ahem, something else. A game-changer for UND. Stay tuned.

• Upvote 1

UND Sports Extra will once again be available on-demand at UNDSports.com. Last night's episode is not yet up, but should be in the near future. TEASER ALERT: We've been somewhat tied up the past few days with, ahem, something else. A game-changer for UND. Stay tuned.

A new retractable roof dome over Memorial Stadium that seats 25,000 and an Indoor Practice Facility? Am I close. :lol:

• Upvote 1

An FTA option this season? Jason I don't know of we can take anymore waiting when it comes to The Sioux on TV! :)

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/372499/group/Sports/

DAMN YOU CABLE ONE!!!!!!!!!!

Cable One, the lone cable provider in Fargo, has yet to agree to a deal with Midco Sports Net for the upcoming season.

“We have made every attempt to make this year’s deal as similar to prior years as possible … price per game available and everything,” said Mark Powell, Midcontinent Communication’s vice president of business solutions.

Powell said nearly all of last season’s cable providers chose to carry this year’s Midco coverage. He said two previous providers, excluding Cable One, opted to decline the deal.

Attempts to reach Cable One general manager Scott Geston on Tuesday were not successful.

• Upvote 1

Notice the date on the picture....8/30/2012. My guess is the announcement is today, and they will have the pictures at the Alerus for fan viewing tomorrow night!! Oh man....just got goosebumps!! This is deffinitely a "game changer" as Jason said!! Huge!!!!

The only thing better than that would be a big crane knocking down the REA and Kelley standing there with a shovel saying "we are now breaking ground". Project to be completed by Spring of 13. :)

The only thing better than that would be a big crane knocking down the REA and Kelley standing there with a shovel saying "we are now breaking ground". Project to be completed by Spring of 13. :)

You mean the old Ralph, right? Although I wouldn't put anything past Kelley... :)

Let me see here. Fargo will not allow Midco in but WF and Moorhead have. Mayor of Fargo former Teammaker president and head dog at Cable One of big wig in the Teammakers also. Seems pretty simple to me. Nice theory huh? ;)

• Upvote 1

Bombard them with phone calls and email. The only way you are going to get what you want is to let them know what you want.

Considering all the UND alums that live in Fargo, you simply can't make the argument that there isn't a market for UND sports in Imperial Cass County. That's like the NFL saying the replacement refs will do "a credible job" during the regular season if the lockout lasts that long.

Let me see here. Fargo will not allow Midco in but WF and Moorhead have. Mayor of Fargo former Teammaker president and head dog at Cable One of big wig in the Teammakers also. Seems pretty simple to me. Nice theory huh? ;)

I don't buy it. Cable One has picked up the games for years. The only thing different this year is that Midco is doing the negotiating rather than UND. They are likely asking for a bigger "royalty" to get the programming than what Cable One was paying in the past. I'm sure it doesn't help matters knowing that Midco is Cable One's biggest local competitor in the FM Metro area. Cable One is not the only company that has carried Sioux games in the past that is not this year, as of right now. My guess is that this is on Midco..................

Luckily the tens of thousands of people that don't get Midco can take solace in the fact that there will be a penalty clock on the screen this season, even though they won't be able to see it.......................

I don't buy it. Cable One has picked up the games for years. The only thing different this year is that Midco is doing the negotiating rather than UND. They are likely asking for a bigger "royalty" to get the programming than what Cable One was paying in the past. I'm sure it doesn't help matters knowing that Midco is Cable One's biggest local competitor in the FM Metro area. Cable One is not the only company that has carried Sioux games in the past that is not this year, as of right now. My guess is that this is on Midco..................

Luckily the tens of thousands of people that don't get Midco can take solace in the fact that there will be a penalty clock on the screen this season, even though they won't be able to see it.......................

Midco has been quoted in the newspaper that they offered as similar a deal as possible to what Cable One had last year. The same price per game. There are only 1 or 2 other cable companies that were carrying UND games in the past that are not so far. Here is the list of cable companies in the region that are carrying all of the games so far:

Alliance

Cable Services

Consolidated Cable Vision Inc.

Dakota Central Tel.

Dickey Rural Services

Halstad Tele Company

ITC

James Valley Coop.

Loretel Systems

NCC

Polar Cablevision

RTC

Sjoberg's Inc.

SRT Communications

Swiftel

Tekstar Comm.

United Tele Mutual Aid Co.

Valley Communications

Wikstrom Systems LLC

Just about everyone else signed on, and Cable One is getting basically the same deal as last year. That sounds like a Cable One problem.

Midco has been quoted in the newspaper that they offered as similar a deal as possible to what Cable One had last year. The same price per game. There are only 1 or 2 other cable companies that were carrying UND games in the past that are not so far. Here is the list of cable companies in the region that are carrying all of the games so far:

Just about everyone else signed on, and Cable One is getting basically the same deal as last year. That sounds like a Cable One problem.

As of now Fargo, Devils Lake, and about half of Minot is out of luck when it comes to watching North Dakota. Those cities were all in the loop until this year. The cable companies that serve Fargo and Devils Lake could probably be considered Midco's biggest in-state competitors. Maybe it is just a cooincidence that they haven't come to terms with those companies, but I doubt it.

On a side note, as I sit here on the eve of the football opener with my PC connected to my flatscreen in the man-cave, I still can't watch the latest incarnation of "Sioux Sports Extra"...........................something I've been watching on a weekly basis since I was about 5 years old. :sad:

Add Arvig out of Perham, which covers a great deal of area east of Detroit Lakes. http://arvig.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/UND_FSSN_ScheduleFlyer_2012_08.pdf

Labor in western ND (electricians, plumbers, etc, that have moved here in the oil boom) charge "about the same" as well. Used to be around $40/hour, now it's over $100. Rent, 200-400, is now 1500/2000 per person living in small worn down shacks living 10 people/house. Guess that's about the same as well. Until I get exact numbers, I'm a bit skeptical on what "about the same" means when midco says it.

Can't see any good reason the cableco's that have paid the REA for the telecast for the past 10 years wouldn't just go ahead and pay it, at rates "about the same".

Its a lot more difficult to write a check to a competitor than it is to write a check to the REA. If anyone thinks CableOne is going to do what is best for their customers I think you are mistaken. What other option do people in Fargo have if they do not want a dish hanging off their house? As a CableOne customer I sent an e-mail to them a week ago asking about the availabliltiy of watching games on TV and have still recieved no response. I wasn't expecting the minutes of the last meeting but a "negotiations are still in progress" would have worked. There are many people in Fargo that will gladly let Midco punch holes in their yard to get another option for a cable provider and this is a classic reason why. I'm not so quick to put all the blame on Midco.

• Upvote 3

Its a lot more difficult to write a check to a competitor than it is to write a check to the REA. If anyone thinks CableOne is going to do what is best for their customers I think you are mistaken. What other option do people in Fargo have if they do not want a dish hanging off their house? As a CableOne customer I sent an e-mail to them a week ago asking about the availabliltiy of watching games on TV and have still recieved no response. I wasn't expecting the minutes of the last meeting but a "negotiations are still in progress" would have worked. There are many people in Fargo that will gladly let Midco punch holes in their yard to get another option for a cable provider and this is a classic reason why. I'm not so quick to put all the blame on Midco.

B-I-N-G-O...we have a winner!

• Upvote 1

B-I-N-G-O...we have a winner!

I totally agree. If you are in one of the markets that have options for cable, why not just switch to Midco? That will get their attention. CableOne apparently needs a wake up call.

Even if you don't have another cable option, drop them and go with satellite. You will still have the same options for UND sports.

Start switching your service, they will start listening.

• Upvote 2