SiouxSports.com Forum

UND/Midco 5 year contract

GeauxSioux

Thank you Jason for posting information on the direction UND is heading with viewing options for Sioux sports.

While I am disappointed FTA is no longer going to be an option, I am hopeful your comments on making Sioux sports available on as many platforms as possible will mean there will be a way for most to tune in (especially those of us who have enjoyed FTA for so long). I like the idea of an app for a SMART TV. Also hopeful you are considering ROKU.

We truly appreciate everyone's patience and understanding. I can assure you that we (beginning with A.D. Brian Faison) most definitely do not take our fans, including those out-of-region, for granted. We'll continue to try to offer our product to as many people, through as many platforms, as possible. There is no perfect solution that will make everyone happy, but we'll do our best.

Again, I would remind everyone that this is a fluid situation. Things can, and likely will, change. We also have a strong partner in Midcontinent that is committed to offering the best possible product. They've already indicated they will address two of the issues we have historically been asked the most about: HD and a power-play clock. I would suggest that their willingness to address some of these issues up front should buy them some measure of faith and patience as we move forward.

Jayson

• Upvote 1

Have you emailed to ask them if it works? No, you won't end up paying for a subscription that is useless on your two devices unless you continue to whine and only post on a message board instead of sending a simple email. But I guess it is easier to act like a 3 year old instead of actually finding out the answer.

The viewing options are different. Quit whining and deal with it.

Yes the viewing options are different and many fans who have had access through traditional means to sioux sports in the past no longer have access or have very limited access now. We are a few days away from the first football game and there are still unanswered questions.

Yes the viewing options are different and many fans who have had access through traditional means to sioux sports in the past no longer have access or have very limited access now. We are a few days away from the first football game and there are still unanswered questions.

If you are out of traditional media footprint you have two options: Big Sky TV can be accessed from the Big Sky website, or UNDInsider. I am going to test both streams to see if one is better than the other.

"IF" they deliver on a non flash based platform? Last time I checked it was 2012. So I could end up paying for a subscription that is useless on the two devices I use? But Sprig what other choice do we have other than to bend over and take it?

Don't be so ready to bend over just yet. There are browser apps that can be purchased for as little as 5 dollars that can convert flash based media from a website into a format your iphone/ipad can play. Check the app store for Photon Flash Video Player and Skyfire Web Browser. I am not saying it will work for sure but could be worth a shot if you are in dire need of catching the games.

Yes and I'm saying people should ask those in charge those questions instead of just assuming things won't work and coming on here and whining about it.

Jayson, do you know if iPad and iPhone players will work? Do you guys use FME to do your streaming? If so, I know the upgrade to 4.5 allows you to stream on all mobile devices and tablets. I'm assuming it's just a matter of if your host streaming server will allow it as well.

Yes and I'm saying people should ask those in charge those questions instead of just assuming things won't work and coming on here and whining about it.

Jayson, do you know if iPad and iPhone players will work? Do you guys use FME to do your streaming? If so, I know the upgrade to 4.5 allows you to stream on all mobile devices and tablets. I'm assuming it's just a matter of if your host streaming server will allow it as well.

My apologies -- I don't know what FME means. Can you explain it to me?

Big Sky TV has indicated that mobile streaming will be a new feature this season. Our upcoming UND Insider iPad app will feature live video, and our current UND Sports mobile apps already stream audio.

Jayson

Big Sky TV has indicated that mobile streaming will be a new feature this season. Our upcoming UND Insider iPad app will feature live video, and our current UND Sports mobile apps already stream audio.

Jayson

I think he is referring to Flash Media Encoder.

.Hopefully this answered your many questions. If I missed anything, please feel free to ask.

Jayson,

Any word if Cable One of Fargo has picked up the MidcoSN feed like they did with the FSSN in previous years? I emailed them a couple weeks ago and they said they are trying to get a deal done soon. I hope they get it or else I have to go to West Fargo, Moorhead, Grand Forks (my parents live there) or watch it online.

Jayson,

Any word if Cable One of Fargo has picked up the MidcoSN feed like they did with the FSSN in previous years? I emailed them a couple weeks ago and they said they are trying to get a deal done soon. I hope they get it or else I have to go to West Fargo, Moorhead, Grand Forks (my parents live there) or watch it online.

When I spoke with a Midcontinent rep on Friday, a deal had not yet been struck with Cable One.

Jayson

It's for Flash Media Encoder. However, seeing that the UND Insider iPad app will feature live video, that solves that problem/question.

Thanks for the improvements in the streaming capabilities Jayson. I like that I can get it on my iPad now. The only recommendation I have for the streaming audio is to allow it to play in the background. That way, I can listen to UND sports on my iPad, while also surfing the net. Currently, if I exit out of the app, the audio stops.

Thanks again

The only recommendation I have for the streaming audio is to allow it to play in the background. That way, I can listen to UND sports on my iPad, while also surfing the net. Currently, if I exit out of the app, the audio stops.

Thanks again

Having encountered the same problem with other apps, I agree it's frustrating. We'll make this recommendation to Neulion.

Have you emailed to ask them if it works? No, you won't end up paying for a subscription that is useless on your two devices unless you continue to whine and only post on a message board instead of sending a simple email. But I guess it is easier to act like a 3 year old instead of actually finding out the answer.

The viewing opions are different. Quit whining and deal with it.

Yes I understand the viewing options are different this year but you need to understand a few of us have spend a lot of money and time into something so we can view games. If it comes across whining so be it. We are passionate about Sioux sports to a point it might be a fault. Jason thanks for your time on the forum in answering questions that I have emailed to both UND and Midco to which I have not heard anything. You latest replies do answer some questions I had and I thank you.

Yes I understand the viewing options are different this year but you need to understand a few of us have spend a lot of money and time into something so we can view games. If it comes across whining so be it.

I'm in the exact same boat as you... I have to go through significantly more steps to be able to watch UND games this year. However, I also realize that what UND had last year is off the charts better than what most colleges similar to UND have. Yeah, it sucks to lose it (I believe only temporarily), but I'm glad we have the opportunity to watch most of the games. Compare what we have this year to any of the FCS schools and we come out pretty great. Perfect? No, but way better than most.

Here are the TV viewing options as they stand today:

http://www.undsports...TCLID=205670445

Jayson,

While some of this is disappointing to the people who will not have the same TV options as years past (FCS on Direct TV, et al), just want you know that I appreciate your willingness to engage in a discussion on here as a member of the UND Athletics Department. You are going above and beyond the call of duty and I think it's safe to say this is very unique.

Thank you for communicating with a bunch of arm-chair rubes (myself included).

Keep up the great work.

• Upvote 1

When I spoke with a Midcontinent rep on Friday, a deal had not yet been struck with Cable One.

So the largest city in the state with arguably the largest group of residing alum is still shut out on the TV deal. :glare:

I will second the post above even though I'm at the mercy of the evil empire...Cable One.

Are there any TV options in Mpls/St. Paul for football or do we have to watch the webcast?

Midco has been negotiating with Twin Cities cable providers. From the list that Jayson provided it looks like they don't have any deals as of yet. The webcast from Big Sky TV is probably your best bet, at least for this week. I'm sure they will make an announcement if they work out a deal with any Twin Cities cable companies.

So the largest city in the state with arguably the largest group of residing alum is still shut out on the TV deal. :glare:

I will second the post above even though I'm at the mercy of the evil empire...Cable One.

I hear ya...c'mon Cable One sign the dotted line on whatever the deal is. Its bad enough you are the monopoly of Fargo.