SiouxSports.com Forum

SBoHE votes to move ahead with nickname retirement

fightingsioux4life

I don't think the number is going to be nearly as small as you want to believe, and you're damn right I'm going to be one of them. That's why I didn't respond to the season ticket renewal form that got sent out recently. They set May 31st as the deadline to renew tickets and I just wasn't about to roll the dice on that prior to the June 12th vote. The ironic part is I got a letter on the 13th (what impeccable timing) offering me another chance to renew just in case maybe I had forgotten to send it in. It went immediately into the trash.

Yeah, I'm sure people are lined up around the block to buy those tickets when they have to send out notices two weeks after the deadline practically begging past season ticket holders to renew. :silly:

As a ticket buyer, I was UND's customer. As a customer, I expect a certain standard in regards to the product that I am spending my hard earned money on. If and when I reach a point in time where I find myself dissatisfied with the product I will no longer spend my hard earned money on that product. I will take that money and spend it elsewhere on something that I enjoy rather than continue to spend it on something that has made me angry. They took my team away from me, it's as simple as that. I am 99.9% confident that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Don't be shocked to find out that there are a lot more of us out there than you think there are. I predict that attendance will decline. It won't be as drastic a decline as the merchandise sales, but there will more than likely be somewhat of a decline. A lot of angry Sioux fans are going to boycott the new UND teams as a form of protest.

So, did you reach your breaking point? I hope so for (y)our sake.

You can't make this stuff up. No way. BIT ALERT!

Actually, regarding the no nickname thing.... I have been on record as stating multiple times here over the years that I could settle for a no nickname team if that was going to be permanent. But because of the fact that they say they're going to adopt a new nickname 2 or 3 years down the road I figured now is as good a time as any to wash my hands of the whole situation and just walk away.

Then why are you still here? If you truly have convictions about what you say, walk away from the team, the school, these message boards, and anything else that you consider part of your past now that the nickname is gone.

You've said many times in the last couple years that if the name goes you feel you have to go as well, and now it's come to that. If you are a man of your word and actually will honor the ultimatum that you have promised on here numerous times, then walk away with some kind of dignity and at least let people know that you are someone who stands by their beliefs, because if you stay here and keep crying about the way the vote came out and the doom it's going to bring UND, then people are just going to consider you a whiny bitch. And a liar.

I said I would no longer attend games or cheer for the UND teams by a different name. I did not say I would immediately stop posting, and I don't understand how so many of you jumped to that conclusion (wishful thinking?). The reason why I am still here (for now) is for the sake of venting, as I have already stated in this thread. I am angry at both the UND administration/athletic dept. and the voters of North Dakota, and I have every right to express that anger. Don't worry, I'll get it out of my system in the coming weeks and should be long gone by the time the new season begins. Then you thin-skinned little crybabies won't have to worry about getting your poor little feelings hurt by big bad DaveK anymore.

You don't hurt my feelings Dave, actually I wish you'd get past this thing and realize that you're a fan of the guys who have played for this school...Hrkac, Parise, Toews, Greene, Oshie, Frattin, and the rest...more than the jerseys they wore on their backs, and cheer for what the team really represents, but I don't know if that will ever happen.

I agree that I'm a fan of all the individual players you just named.

Then take some time away to reflect on your memories and come back refreshed and ready to support the student athletes that represent the University of North Dakota.

Then take some time away to reflect on your memories and come back refreshed and ready to support the student athletes that represent the University of North Dakota.

How long are you going to torture us with that Sixer fan? It's worse than those fat girl calendars. :blink:

Obviously we can add sales to the things you know very little about. They weren't begging for you business. It is standard operating procedure to send out 1 or more notices after the deadline to see if someone just forgot, didn't get the notices, might have changed their mind, etc. That is part of sales, keep asking for the sale.

The number of people that will give up their tickets isn't going to be nearly as large as you think. More than 67% in the state agreed to retire the name. A significant portion of the rest will still buy tickets and go to games. You probably aren't the only one, but you are part of a very small minority.

I doubt there will be anyone who does not reup their tickets because of the name change. But I was wondering about ALL those people who will not donate if the name changes. Haven't heard anything about this from you guys for a long time now. So are all these people that said they were never going to give money part of the people who voted to retire the name? HHHMMMM??????

I doubt there will be anyone who does not reup their tickets because of the name change. But I was wondering about ALL those people who will not donate if the name changes. Haven't heard anything about this from you guys for a long time now. So are all these people that said they were never going to give money part of the people who voted to retire the name? HHHMMMM? ?????

I always said that donations would not go down significantly even if the name were changed. So far no reports of major changes. The Spirit Campaign has been pretty successful. There may be individuals that decide to not make donations. But, as I said, so far it hasn't been a problem.

and all of those guys were ecstatic to wear the sioux logo....not a north dakota jersey..

They were happy to play for the University of North Dakota, one of the top hockey programs in college hockey. Not one of them would have refused to play for UND if the name were something different.
  • Upvote 2

I doubt there will be anyone who does not reup their tickets because of the name change. But I was wondering about ALL those people who will not donate if the name changes. Haven't heard anything about this from you guys for a long time now. So are all these people that said they were never going to give money part of the people who voted to retire the name? HHHMMMM? ?????

I don't know who said it, I believe it was a personal, off-the-cuff remark to someone and I don't have the exact quote, but I don't think it is all that much of a stretch: When asked about the threat of people claiming they won't donate any more money if the name/logo is no longer, the response was something along the lines of it would have actually make a difference if those people that are threatening to not give money any more to have given some in the first place.

The REAL Sioux fans are the ones like me who will not support a UND team by any other name. Those of you who jump on the bandwagon of the new UND team are not real fans, you're just homers like those former Cardinals fans who now cheer for the Rams in St. Louis.

You just keep believing that as you walk away. The real supporters of the University of North Dakota will continue to buy tickets, make donations, and make sure the school has an opportunity to succeed in Division I. I'm not sure who this new UND team is that you speak of, we will be supporting the athletic program that won 7 National titles in men's hockey, 1 National title in Division II football, 3 National titles in Division II women's basketball and a lot of other hardware over the years.

The REAL Sioux fans are the ones like me who will not support a UND team by any other name. Those of you who jump on the bandwagon of the new UND team are not real fans, you're just homers like those former Cardinals fans who now cheer for the Rams in St. Louis.

welp....gonna miss you on this site. :whistling:

The real Sioux fans are like you. Not the real fans who cheer for UND athletics. Then again, who would expect someone like you to understand. I seriously doubt Oilers fans in Tennessee quit cheering for them once they became the Titans. You are beyond idiotic. Are you aware I am more likable than you on this site? You do realize that should be impossible right?

The saying me and some friends have tried to bring back. "Some people's children, I tell ya what...." That statement was coined for people like DaveK. You are a tard.

You just keep believing that as you walk away. The real supporters of the University of North Dakota will continue to buy tickets, make donations, and make sure the school has an opportunity to succeed in Division I. I'm not sure who this new UND team is that you speak of, we will be supporting the athletic program that won 7 National titles in men's hockey, 1 National title in Division II football, 3 National titles in Division II women's basketball and a lot of other hardware over the years.

Obligatory ribbing. We have more hardware in Fargo ;)

before anyone goes off on me. read post above. i went after dave for you guys.

Do us a favor and stop posting here too. Your not a fan of the school anymore so unless your trolling, you have no reason to post. Bye.

The athletic program that won 7 National titles in men's hockey, 1 National title in Division II football, 3 National titles in Division II women's basketball and a lot of other hardware over the years was called the Fighting Sioux.

Yes, and those trophies wil still be sitting in trophy cabinets at the University of North Dakota.

The teams were called Fighting SIoux.

The team are from the University of North Dakota.

I don't know who said it, I believe it was a personal, off-the-cuff remark to someone and I don't have the exact quote, but I don't think it is all that much of a stretch: When asked about the threat of people claiming they won't donate any more money if the name/logo is no longer, the response was something along the lines of it would have actually make a difference if those people that are threatening to not give money any more to have given some in the first place.

That was from my conversation with the CFO of the Alumni Foundation. Which is different than what posters here claimed would happen. It was not only posters here that claimed that but many others including letters to the Herald. I wonder what happened with the long told story that if they changed the name the Ralph Foundation had the wrecking balls lined up? The thing that always made me laugh about that was you need a permit from the city to do any demolition work like that. Maybe ScottM can help with this but since the arena is on state property how hard would it be to take over the building under emminent domain?
  • Upvote 1

I wonder what happened with the long told story that if they changed the name the Ralph Foundation had the wrecking balls lined up?

GIven that an REA board member (Strinden) supported Measure 4, I don't think we'll be seeing that.

The athletic program that won 7 National titles in men's hockey, 1 National title in Division II football, 3 National titles in Division II women's basketball and a lot of other hardware over the years was called the Fighting Sioux. You won't be cheering for them anymore because they will no longer exist. You'll be cheering for the new UND athletic program, the one that has yet to win or lose a single game.

This is from the NCAA web site, showing the 7 hockey title games and all of the runner-up games through 2000. Where exactly does it say Fighting Sioux? It says that North Dakota played in those games, as in the University of. Why do they use the school name? Because that is the important part of the indentification. This is the same program that will be going forward. You have some idiotic beleif that they aren't the same program because of a name change. That belief belongs to a minority of a minority of a minority of people. You aren't going to sell it to us, so why do you keep trying? It really is a good thing that these forums are mainly anonymous when you continually espouse theories like this.

Y e a r Champion (Record) C o a c h S c o r e R u n n e r - U p S i t e Game Attendance Total Attendance

1 9 5 8. . . . . . . . . . . . Denver (24-10-2) Murray Armstrong 6 - 2 North Dakota M i n n e a p o l i s 7 , 8 7 8 —

1 9 5 9. . . . . . . . . . . . North Dakota (20-10-1) Bob May 4 - 3( o t ) Michigan St. Troy, N.Y. — —

1 9 6 3. . . . . . . . . . . . North Dakota (22-7-3) Barry Thorndycraft 6 - 5 D e n v e r B o s t o n 4 , 2 0 0 —

1 9 6 8. . . . . . . . . . . . Denver (28-5-1) Murray Armstrong 4 - 0 North Dakota Duluth, Minn. 5 , 4 5 3 —

1 9 7 9. . . . . . . . . . . . Minnesota (32-11-1) Herb Brooks 4 - 3 North Dakota D e t r o i t 7 , 0 1 1 1 6 , 6 3 5

1 9 8 0. . . . . . . . . . . . North Dakota (31-8-1) John “Gino” Gasparini 5 - 2 Northern Mich. Providence, R.I. 5 , 8 1 1 2 7 , 0 6 8

1 9 8 2. . . . . . . . . . . . North Dakota (35-12) John “Gino” Gasparini 5 - 2 W i s c o n s i n Providence, R.I. 9 , 2 7 2 5 3 , 9 9 3

1 9 8 7. . . . . . . . . . . . North Dakota (40-8) John “Gino” Gasparini 5 - 3 Michigan St. D e t r o i t 1 6 , 6 3 2 7 2 , 7 1 7

1 9 9 7. . . . . . . . . . . . North Dakota (31-10-2) Dean Blais 6 - 4 Boston U. M i l w a u k e e 1 7 , 5 3 7 8 4 , 7 2 8

2 0 0 0. . . . . . . . . . . . North Dakota (31-8-5) Dean Blais 4 - 2 Boston College Providence, R.I. 1 1 , 4 8 4 —

• Upvote 1

You don't hurt my feelings Dave, actually I wish you'd get past this thing and realize that you're a fan of the guys who have played for this school...Hrkac, Parise, Toews, Greene, Oshie, Frattin, and the rest...more than the jerseys they wore on their backs, and cheer for what the team really represents, but I don't know if that will ever happen.

I agree that I'm a fan of all the individual players you just named.

How can you be a fan of those guys? None of them play for the Sioux.

I would also presume that you must specifically despise Hrkac, Parise, Toews, Oshie, and the hundreds of others that willingly left the Sioux before their eligibility was up. You must brand them as traitors to the Sioux Tradition. Any "real" Sioux fan should.

Surely, just like the University, none of these former players deserve your respect..................... :silly:

• Upvote 2

How can you be a fan of those guys? None of them play for the Sioux.

I would also presume that you must specifically despise Hrkac, Parise, Toews, Oshie, and the hundreds of others that willingly left the Sioux before their eligibility was up. You must brand them as traitors to the Sioux Tradition. Any "real" Sioux fan should.

Surely, just like the University, none of these former players deserve your respect..................... :silly:

+1. :)