SiouxSports.com Forum

SBoHE votes to move ahead with nickname retirement

fightingsioux4life

Though you never spoke up for 4 years. What afraid of being left out of the group if you had?

UND had a certain period of time to get approval from both tribes. We got one tribe's approval (Spirit Lake), but when it was apparent that Standing Rock would not give us their approval and the SBoHE decided to begin the retirement process, I (and some of us on here) decided that enough was enough. And this whole thing would have died a long time ago if it wasn't for "Clueless Al" Carlson and the Spirit Lake Committee for Understanding and Respect. And, for the record, I could care less about being "part of the crowd" in anything. I have taken positions on this forum that are contrary to the majority opinion and gotten flamed for it. And I will do so in the future.

Why are you still here? Your extremist position was rejected by the voters of North Dakota on Tuesday, June 12th. You, DaveK and Fetch should all get together and form a lobbying group to get REA to replace UND with an AHL franchise, because all that matters with you guys is the name and logo.

So Native Americans are Extremists now! You have no idea what matters.

• Upvote 1

UND had a certain period of time to get approval from both tribes. We got one tribe's approval (Spirit Lake), but when it was apparent that Standing Rock would not give us their approval and the SBoHE decided to begin the retirement process, I (and some of us on here) decided that enough was enough. And this whole thing would have died a long time ago if it wasn't for "Clueless Al" Carlson and the Spirit Lake Committee for Understanding and Respect. And, for the record, I could care less about being "part of the crowd" in anything. I have taken positions on this forum that are contrary to the majority opinion and gotten flamed for it. And I will do so in the future.

Can you re-write history just a little more please? It would not have died a long time ago since Al was not that long ago. Everyone here was cheering on Al at the time.

The Elitists on this board are doing the NCAA's bidding, you are following their indoctrination chapter and verse. You have played right into the NCAA's hands. So you should take a victory lap. What are you going to do when the NCAA doesn't exist. It's around the corner.

• Upvote 1

Can you re-write history just a little more please? It would not have died a long time ago since Al was not that long ago. Everyone here was cheering on Al at the time.

I keep forgetting you were Almostinheaven2011 back then so technically you were on this message board.

So Native Americans are Extremists now! You have no idea what matters.

No, I am calling YOU an extremist, along with DaveK, Fetch, Chewy and a couple of others on here. All that nonsense that the sanctions were "a small price to pay" to keep the name and logo is what I am calling extremist. 68% of North Dakotans disagreed with that suicidal viewpoint. The Native Americans of this region have been used as pawns by both sides of the nickname debate for years and that is something we all should be ashamed of. If UND had done more engagement with the tribes over the past 30-40 years, this day wouldn't have had to come. But in order to save UND athletics, the name and logo had to be retired. There is no joy in my heart on this issue, just relief that UND athletics will have a fighting chance to succeed in Division I.

• Upvote 1

The Elitists on this board are doing the NCAA's bidding, you are following their indoctrination chapter and verse.

No, people who had no problem with the logo but were cornered by the NCAA into having to retire it are victims of a bad policy.

Rather than harping on us, why not go and fix the NCAA. You seem to have the answers.

PS -

So 67.35% of those who voted on Measure 4 are "elitists" doing the "NCAA's bidding"? If that many are "elite" I guess it's not such an elite group.

http://results.sos.nd.gov/resultsCTY.aspx?text=BQ&type=SW&rid=285&cty=0&osn=915&map=CTY&districtLG=1

No, I am calling YOU an extremist, along with DaveK, Fetch, Chewy and a couple of others on here. All that nonsense that the sanctions were "a small price to pay" to keep the name and logo is what I am calling extremist. 68% of North Dakotans disagreed with that suicidal viewpoint. The Native Americans of this region have been used as pawns by both sides of the nickname debate for years and that is something we all should be ashamed of. If UND had done more engagement with the tribes over the past 30-40 years, this day wouldn't have had to come. But in order to save UND athletics, the name and logo had to be retired. There is no joy in my heart on this issue, just relief that UND athletics will have a fighting chance to succeed in Division I.

So you are calling Native Americans Extremists and you look down at them as pawns. WOW!

• Upvote 1

No, people who had no problem with the logo but were cornered by the NCAA into having to retire it are victims of a bad policy.

Rather than harping on us, why not go and fix the NCAA. You seem to have the answers.

PS -

So 67.35% of those who voted on Measure 4 are "elitists" doing the "NCAA's bidding"? If that many are "elite" I guess it's not such an elite group.

http://results.sos.n...TY&districtLG=1

All you do is whine and throw numbers around. The sanctions are still in place.

So you are calling Native Americans Extremists and you look down at them as pawns. WOW!

NO!!! The people who believed that the sanctions that UND was under were "not that big of a deal." That's extreme. For a person not to recognize the affects of that is extreme. Do you recognize the affect of the sanctions? Theye are pretty huge!! The result would lose recruits and our teams would suffer drastically. What the vote last Tuesday came down to was those that care about a name and logo and their selfish desires to keep it, and those who care about the athletic teams in which they cheer for and ensuring they would be successfull for years to come.

All you do is whine and throw numbers around. The sanctions are still in place.

As of the YES vote on Measure 4 and the ND SBoHE's actions at their June 14 meeting, no, the sanctions are no longer in place against UND because it no longer has a moniker that is in non-compliance with the NCAA policy.

NO!!! The people who believed that the sanctions that UND was under were "not that big of a deal." That's extreme. For a person not to recognize the affects of that is extreme. Do you recognize the affect of the sanctions? Theye are pretty huge!! The result would lose recruits and our teams would suffer drastically. What the vote last Tuesday came down to was those that care about a name and logo and their selfish desires to keep it, and those who care about the athletic teams in which they cheer for and ensuring they would be successfull for years to come.

No they won't be a problem. Well at least that was what all of you were saying when Mac tried to say this during the hearings.

The Elitists on this board are doing the NCAA's bidding, you are following their indoctrination chapter and verse. You have played right into the NCAA's hands. So you should take a victory lap. What are you going to do when the NCAA doesn't exist. It's around the corner.

Is the NC$$ going to magically disappear, Al? Do tell ...

The athletic program that won 7 National titles in men's hockey, 1 National title in Division II football, 3 National titles in Division II women's basketball and a lot of other hardware over the years was called the Fighting Sioux. You won't be cheering for them anymore because they will no longer exist. You'll be cheering for the new UND athletic program, the one that has yet to win or lose a single game.

New UND athletic program? No. They will be the same coaches. Playing in the same venues. With the same staff. Most of the players will be the same as last year, outside of graduating seniors and incoming freshmen.

There are Native Americans with extremist views on certain subjects out there, just as there are caucasian, african, hispanic, asian, arabic, persian, etc. extremists. Certain Native American people were used as pawns both by the pro and anti-nickname groups. That's not even debatable, just as certain caucasian, african, hispanic, asian, arabic, etc. people are used as pawns in certain situations.

All you do is whine and throw numbers around.

Did you just accuse Sic of throwing facts around like it was a bad thing?? :huh:

And those that were cheering changed their tune after Al's 15 minute meeting with the NCAA. It was at that time that most understood the NCAA wasn't budging and those that were cheering started to prepare for the retirement. Everyone of those people who made the trip to Indy understood this after that meeting, some were just a little more vocal than others. There is nothing wrong with changing your opinion on something as the situation changes.

And those that were cheering changed their tune after Al's 15 minute meeting with the NCAA. It was at that time that most understood the NCAA wasn't budging and those that were cheering started to prepare for the retirement. Everyone of those people who made the trip to Indy understood this after that meeting, some were just a little more vocal than others. There is nothing wrong with changing your opinion on something as the situation changes.

Isn't the street definition of insanity 'continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results'? As more details became clear (such as the NCAA meeting with Dalrymple, Carlson, Kelley, et al), many of us realized the NCAA would not change their position, so UND and North Dakota had to.

Add that to the wear factor. The ongoing battle just wore the casual observers out. I heard, from students especially, that its just time to move on. Not everyone is as passionate about the nickname as regular posters on siouxsports.com.

Isn't the street definition of insanity 'continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results'? As more details became clear (such as the NCAA meeting with Dalrymple, Carlson, Kelley, et al), many of us realized the NCAA would not change their position, so UND and North Dakota had to.

Add that to the wear factor. The ongoing battle just wore the casual observers out. I heard, from students especially, that its just time to move on. Not everyone is as passionate about the nickname as regular posters on siouxsports.com.

Many posters here displayed a level of insanity for 6 years though. It was clear all the way back in 2005 for anyone that did not wear their racist blinders and told themselves, "We're doing it to honor them".

Many posters here displayed a level of insanity for 6 years though. It was clear all the way back in 2005 for anyone that did not wear their racist blinders and told themselves, "We're doing it to honor them".

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. UND felt like they were honoring the Sioux name, the tribes did not. Now that they are retiring it, the Sioux tribes feel they are being discriminated against. So which is it?