SiouxSports.com Forum

SBoHE votes to move ahead with nickname retirement

fightingsioux4life

And so brings to an end the era of quality college sports in the state of North Dakota. Sad day. :sad:

Remind us again how many goals the nickname has scored. Or how many saves. Or how many touchdowns. Or interceptions. Or points in basketball. Or rebounds. Etc.... The nickname being retired has nothing to do with the quality of performance by the athletes.

And so brings to an end the era of quality college sports in the state of North Dakota. Sad day. :sad:

What does the name have to do with quality of the sports? Guess what, our basketball team beat NDSU this year and at that time we were just known as North Dakota. How ever did we beat them without being known as the Sioux?!!

Watch sales of UND apparel go into the toilet as soon as everything with the Sioux logo on it is off the shelves. As the sales of apparel drops the fan interest will drop. As the fan interest drops the caliber or athletes will drop. As the caliber of athletes drops the quality of the program will drop. It's a domino effect, the era of quality sports in North Dakota is over thanks to the idiotic voters who bought into O'Keefe's PC-inspired scare tactics.

OK, well lets just meet at the first football game and the first hockey game of the year and I will show you all the people that are still there to support UND!! Where do you get these crazy ideas?? Can you provide us proof maybe from other schools that dropped their name how their attendance went down and their program started to suffer because of the loss of the name? You see, that's what makes a compeelling argument. Providing facts. You, n the other hand, just provide crazy theories and scenerios that are not backed up with any knowlegde of the facts. So if you want to convince us that your "theories" are true, procide us with examples of where you have seen this in the past.

Watch sales of UND apparel go into the toilet as soon as everything with the Sioux logo on it is off the shelves. As the sales of apparel drops the fan interest will drop. As the fan interest drops the caliber or athletes will drop. As the caliber of athletes drops the quality of the program will drop. It's a domino effect, the era of quality sports in North Dakota is over thanks to the idiotic voters who bought into O'Keefe's PC-inspired scare tactics.

I didn't know that you studied economics and marketing at the University of Phoenix?

People are going to to still go to the game no matter what the name is because for the next two seasons the Univeristy of North Dakota will simply be UND and you will still going to hear and the home of the Sioux. Of course if you want to sell your seats I will gladly help you find someone that will sit in those seats for you.

Edited by Goon

I don't know what you grow in your basement, but I think you should share.

• Upvote 1

OK, well lets just meet at the first football game and the first hockey game of the year and I will show you all the people that are still there to support UND!! Where do you get these crazy ideas?? Can you provide us proof maybe from other schools that dropped their name how their attendance went down and their program started to suffer because of the loss of the name? You see, that's what makes a compeelling argument. Providing facts. You, n the other hand, just provide crazy theories and scenerios that are not backed up with any knowlegde of the facts. So if you want to convince us that your "theories" are true, procide us with examples of where you have seen this in the past.

Good post.

I believe that Miami of Ohio has joined the NCHC without a hitch and without their prior nickname. The Redhawks are doing quite well, aren't they?

Good post.

I believe that Miami of Ohio has joined the NCHC without a hitch and without their prior nickname. The Redhawks are doing quite well, aren't they?

It's not a nickname that makes a program. It is the quality of teams and the athletes that compete. If you are trying to imply, like Dave, that the quality of talent is directly related to the picture on their jersey, than you obviously as misguided as he is. The atheletes make a team successful...not their jerseys.

• Upvote 1

Sales of merchandise will drop for a little while. Luckily, they made a killing during the past 3 years. And that number is only a small part of the revenue for the athletic department, probably averages about $200,000 per year over the past decade. That's a little over 1% of the athletic department budget, and it won't all go away. Plenty of people will buy stuff with just North Dakota on it.

Sales of apparel does not drive fan interest. Actually, fan interest drives apparel sales. Fan interest will actually increase with all sports entering new conferences in the next 2 years. And being successful will keep fans interested. That is the big motivator for people to attend games and buy merchandise, the success of the programs. It also helps attract athletes. Athletes are not attracted by nicknames or logos. Fan interest is a smaller part of attracting athletes. Success or the chance of success will attract athletes much more than the number of people wearing the jerseys or even sitting in the stands.

You are absolutely clueless about the situation. Attendance at hockey games will stay about the same, most games will be sold out. Attendance at football and basketball will probably go up this year. It has nothing to do with the nickname, it has to do with joining the Big Sky. Only a small number of people will actually stop going to games because of the nickname change, we hope that you are one of them. The Sky is the limit with the UND athletic program now that the sanctions are being lifted and UND is going to be finished with the transition period.

• Upvote 2

It's not a nickname that makes a program. It is the quality of teams and the athletes that compete. If you are trying to imply, like Dave, that the quality of talent is directly related to the picture on their jersey, than you obviously as misguided as he is. The atheletes make a team successful...not their jerseys.

What?

I actually was supporting what you said. Redhawks is just a name, and you are right that the team is #1, the nickname is a non-issue.

Goodness,you are a sensitive sort, aren't you? (Remember, FCS is a substandard division of football, not the true D-1!)

What?

I actually was supporting what you said. Redhawks is just a name, and you are right that the team is #1, the nickname is a non-issue.

Goodness,you are a sensitive sort, aren't you? (Remember, FCS is a substandard division of football, not the true D-1!)

You need to let this go. There was nothing in this thread about this conversation. You didn't have to bring it up. But since you did, yes FCS is "substandard". Nobody claims its the highest level of competition. But since its called "Division 1 FCS", that, by definition, makes it "true D-1". Just because it's "Division 1" doesn't mean it's the highest level, it's just a designation. Your constant ranting on this against everybody who disagrees with you is really getting old.

I predict we will look back on this quote in five years and decide confidently that you were incorrect.

We'll see.

You need to let this go. There was nothing in this thread about this conversation. You didn't have to bring it up. But since you did, yes FCS is "substandard". Nobody claims its the highest level of competition. But since its called "Division 1 FCS", that, by definition, makes it "true D-1". Just because it's "Division 1" doesn't mean it's the highest level, it's just a designation. Your constant ranting on this against everybody who disagrees with you is really getting old.

Just pointing out the truth.

Which is very hurtful to some, I guess...

• Upvote 1

What?

Alright, lets just put the FCS thing to bed.

Sorry bout that. I thought you were being sarcastic cause Miami OH hasn't been that great. They did make it into the best hockey conference in college hockey, so they are deffinitely improving :)

PS. Alabama was the best team in the nation last year!!

I don't think the number is going to be nearly as small as you want to believe, and you're damn right I'm going to be one of them. That's why I didn't respond to the season ticket renewal form that got sent out recently. They set May 31st as the deadline to renew tickets and I just wasn't about to roll the dice on that prior to the June 12th vote. The ironic part is I got a letter on the 13th (what impeccable timing) offering me another chance to renew just in case maybe I had forgotten to send it in. It went immediately into the trash.

Yeah, I'm sure people are lined up around the block to buy those tickets when they have to send out notices two weeks after the deadline practically begging past season ticket holders to renew. :silly:

As a ticket buyer, I was UND's customer. As a customer, I expect a certain standard in regards to the product that I am spending my hard earned money on. If and when I reach a point in time where I find myself dissatisfied with the product I will no longer spend my hard earned money on that product. I will take that money and spend it elsewhere on something that I enjoy rather than continue to spend it on something that has made me angry. They took my team away from me, it's as simple as that. I am 99.9% confident that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Don't be shocked to find out that there are a lot more of us out there than you think there are. I predict that attendance will decline. It won't be as drastic a decline as the merchandise sales, but there will more than likely be somewhat of a decline. A lot of angry Sioux fans are going to boycott the new UND teams as a form of protest.

Way to support the student athletes Dave!! Might be the most moronic thing I've seen!

• Upvote 1

People (including myself) will still wear our Sioux gear to a UND game. Until a new nickname is chosen I think everyone will. As long as the team on the field is good, fans will show up no matter what the name is. The product on the field has NOTHING to do with a product on the shelf at a store. Fans will show up, wear whatever they want, scream, yell, cheer, stomp their feet, clap their hands, and why?? They are supporting the team on the field/court/ice. Thats why they spend the money for the ticket, parking, and food because they support the school not just the name. We are all fans of NORTH DAKOTA!!!!! That is what comes before any nickname in UND's history....NORTH DAKOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't like it, don't go. Don't show up at any UND events, pep rallies, potato bowl parade, etc. Just sit in your room with your Sioux gear and cheer for the nickname as loud as you can, while I will be at the Potato Bowl Parade on Sept 8th with my kids wearing my Sioux gear and then at 6pm I will be at the Alerus cheering on the North Dakota football team over PSU. Why? Because I am a UND fan not just a nickname fan.

I don't think the number is going to be nearly as small as you want to believe, and you're damn right I'm going to be one of them. That's why I didn't respond to the season ticket renewal form that got sent out recently. They set May 31st as the deadline to renew tickets and I just wasn't about to roll the dice on that prior to the June 12th vote. The ironic part is I got a letter on the 13th (what impeccable timing) offering me another chance to renew just in case maybe I had forgotten to send it in. It went immediately into the trash.

Yeah, I'm sure people are lined up around the block to buy those tickets when they have to send out notices two weeks after the deadline practically begging past season ticket holders to renew. :silly:

As a ticket buyer, I was UND's customer. As a customer, I expect a certain standard in regards to the product that I am spending my hard earned money on. If and when I reach a point in time where I find myself dissatisfied with the product I will no longer spend my hard earned money on that product. I will take that money and spend it elsewhere on something that I enjoy rather than continue to spend it on something that has made me angry. They took my team away from me, it's as simple as that. I am 99.9% confident that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Don't be shocked to find out that there are a lot more of us out there than you think there are. I predict that attendance will decline. It won't be as drastic a decline as the merchandise sales, but there will more than likely be somewhat of a decline. A lot of angry Sioux fans are going to boycott the new UND teams as a form of protest.

The "new UND teams" ??? Won't UND be fielding the same teams as last year with some personnel changes?

I've already made hotel reservations to head up to ND for a football game this year. Didn't make any last year, so that will be 7 more people at one game than last year

The "new UND teams" ??? Won't UND be fielding the same teams as last year with some personnel changes?

I've already made hotel reservations to head up to ND for a football game this year. Didn't make any last year, so that will be 7 more people at one game than last year

I have already requested 2 weekends off I am planning on attending...Sept 8th Potato Bowl, and Oct 20th...Montana!!!

• Upvote 1

Alright, lets just put the FCS thing to bed.

Sorry bout that. I thought you were being sarcastic cause Miami OH hasn't been that great. They did make it into the best hockey conference in college hockey, so they are deffinitely improving :)

PS. Alabama was the best team in the nation last year!!

Actually, I think their hockey program has been fairly competitive the past few years. So, I think that they are doing just fine with the move to a new nickname. I know their football and basketball programs are doing okay also.

Yeah, I'll drop the FCS thing. My only point I wanted to make was that NDSU fans have a tendency to group themselves with the big dogs of college football based on that definition of D-1 football. I don't think it should be called D-1, but it unfortunately is.

Well, technically the 1996-97 Coyotes were basically the same team as the 1996-96 Jets with some personnel changes. But that doesn't change the fact that they were no longer the Jets. Same philosophy applies here. The Sioux are now extinct. UND is rebranding the product that they are trying to sell, and I for one am not buying what they're selling. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

As a Winnipeg Jet fan that is BS!!!

The Jets moved...UND is not moving. UND is going to be in the same spot it has been since 1883. The name and logo has changed just like it did in the 1920's before the Sioux name. UND has had many logos and now a few names. But one name has stayed the same.....University of North Dakota!!!!! Until the state shuts it down...that name will be there forever!!!

• Upvote 1

As a dissatisfied customer, what other form of protest is available to me? None. Sucks that it has to come to this, but it is what it is. I'm not going to spend my hard earned money on something that I will not enjoy.

You can still wear your Sioux gear to games, you can still cheer "go Sioux" and I am sure nobody will look at you differently.