SiouxSports.com Forum

SBoHE votes to move ahead with nickname retirement

fightingsioux4life

As a dissatisfied customer, what other form of protest is available to me? None. Sucks that it has to come to this, but it is what it is. I'm not going to spend my hard earned money on something that I will not enjoy.

Well, see you later then. We do not need fans like you anyway. I would much rather have your seats filled with REAL fans of the University of North Dakota than selfish fans like yourself. Good riddance!!

So what? 99% of the games that I watch are on TV, not live in person. When I'm watching a game on TV it makes no difference if the actual game is taking place in Winnipeg or Phoenix, what matters is that the Jets are playing. That's why it was such a big deal that the new Winnipeg team took the Jets name.

In this case, UND will still have a team but it will no longer be the Sioux. Therefore, the new UND team that I previously made reference to will make its debut this fall. The new UND team will be to the Sioux what the Titans are to the Oilers in the NFL. Just because somebody used to like the Oilers doesn't mean they're automatically going to like the Titans too.

Well enjoy not being a fan of UND.

Good luck finding new fans to replace those of us who feel alienated by this PC-driven name change. Based on the fact that they're sending out notices two weeks after the deadline to past season ticket holders asking them to renew, I think desperation has set in already.

If those season ticket holders don't want their tickets....give them to me. Simple.

Good luck finding new fans to replace those of us who feel alienated by this PC-driven name change. Based on the fact that they're sending out notices two weeks after the deadline to past season ticket holders asking them to renew, I think desperation has set in already.

Did you order your "Jump to Comclusions" mat online or did you find it in a store somewhere?! :D

• Upvote 1

Call the UND ticket office, I'm sure they have plenty available.

They did call me earlier this year and I declined since I work weekends and watch my kids so I am not able to get every weekend off to go to games plus money. I meant if those people who paid for their tickets don't want them...give them (not sell them) to me.

That's just the problem... I'm not going to enjoy it, but I wouldn't enjoy jumping on the bandwagon of the new UND team either. I can't win. My favorite team that I grew up with is now dead and gone forever. This sucks more than any of you among the "vote YES on Measure 4" crowd can possibly comprehend.

I hate the idea of a UND team with no nickname or a new one, but I am also not going to look for a new team (NDSU, MInnesota, etc). I still have my favorite FBS team (Nebraska), my favorite (major) basketball team (Kansas), and of course UND!!! I will always be a fan of the green and white. No matter what nickname they are as long as they call Grand Forks home...I will always cheer for North Dakota.

I highly doubt that anybody who is staying away to prove a point is going to want to boost attendance by paying somebody else's way into the game. ???

I doubt anyone who bought tickets are going to throw them in the trash either.

• Upvote 1

That's just the problem... I'm not going to enjoy it, but I wouldn't enjoy jumping on the bandwagon of the new UND team either. I can't win. My favorite team that I grew up with is now dead and gone forever. This sucks more than any of you among the "vote YES on Measure 4" crowd can possibly comprehend.

Dave, we are all feeling the same way you did in regards to the name of the team that we have grown up is gone. You are not the only person that feels bad about having to change the name. We ALL agree that the NCAA was wrong in forcing schools to change their names. We all wanted the Fighting Sioux name to be used by UND's sports teams forever. But looking at the circumstances after we did not get aproval, it just wasn't going to be the best decision for UND. We all think it sucks. But your favorite team has been the University of North Dakota. their teams will be playing this next year and competing in the same sports it did last year as the Fighting Sioux. If cheering for a team name is more important than cheering for the team, then I guess maybe you weren't really a true fan afterall.

• Upvote 1

So what? 99% of the games that I watch are on TV, not live in person. When I'm watching a game on TV it makes no difference if the actual game is taking place in Winnipeg or Phoenix, what matters is that the Jets are playing. That's why it was such a big deal that the new Winnipeg team took the Jets name.

In this case, UND will still have a team but it will no longer be the Sioux. Therefore, the new UND team that I previously made reference to will make its debut this fall. The new UND team will be to the Sioux what the Titans are to the Oilers in the NFL. Just because somebody used to like the Oilers doesn't mean they're automatically going to like the Titans too.

So who did you cheer for in January? Because it wasn't the Fighting Sioux. The nickname was retired. There was no Fighting Sioux team, just the University of North Dakota.

Actually, regarding the no nickname thing.... I have been on record as stating multiple times here over the years that I could settle for a no nickname team if that was going to be permanent. But because of the fact that they say they're going to adopt a new nickname 2 or 3 years down the road I figured now is as good a time as any to wash my hands of the whole situation and just walk away.

Yet here you are...

Actually, regarding the no nickname thing.... I have been on record as stating multiple times here over the years that I could settle for a no nickname team if that was going to be permanent. But because of the fact that they say they're going to adopt a new nickname 2 or 3 years down the road I figured now is as good a time as any to wash my hands of the whole situation and just walk away.

Well on your way out, don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!!! :D

It is going to sound strange at first but it will grow on you if you are a true fan of the school. Look at Minnesota I still think its odd to call them the Wild especially when they got a team back but now even thought North Stars is still in memory they are now the Wild. Just like the Sioux will always be in memory in about 10 years or so you won't have problems saying " go UND Fighting ......"

They were still wearing the Sioux jerseys in January, they just weren't saying the word "Sioux" over the PA. I'm still here purely for the sake of venting, nothing more and nothing less. That doesn't mean I'll be attending any games.

So you aren't a basketball fan? They didn't have Sioux on their jerseys and was only known as UND.

They were still wearing the Sioux jerseys in January, they just weren't saying the word "Sioux" over the PA. I'm still here purely for the sake of venting, nothing more and nothing less. That doesn't mean I'll be attending any games.

So now it doesn't even matter what the team is called, it is just what they are wearing? Good thing you aren't a fan of Oregon football.

Which means he wasn't a UND fan during the NCAA hockey tournament.

Yeah Dave, who did you cheer for in the NCAA hockey tournament? There was no team called the "Sioux" that made the tournament. Glad to hear that you abbandoned "your team" in the most important part of the season.!

New fans come in every year. They're called freshman. In 10 years students won't give 2 $hit$ what the name used to be.

• Upvote 2

I don't think the number is going to be nearly as small as you want to believe, and you're damn right I'm going to be one of them. That's why I didn't respond to the season ticket renewal form that got sent out recently. They set May 31st as the deadline to renew tickets and I just wasn't about to roll the dice on that prior to the June 12th vote. The ironic part is I got a letter on the 13th (what impeccable timing) offering me another chance to renew just in case maybe I had forgotten to send it in. It went immediately into the trash.

Yeah, I'm sure people are lined up around the block to buy those tickets when they have to send out notices two weeks after the deadline practically begging past season ticket holders to renew. :silly:

As a ticket buyer, I was UND's customer. As a customer, I expect a certain standard in regards to the product that I am spending my hard earned money on. If and when I reach a point in time where I find myself dissatisfied with the product I will no longer spend my hard earned money on that product. I will take that money and spend it elsewhere on something that I enjoy rather than continue to spend it on something that has made me angry. They took my team away from me, it's as simple as that. I am 99.9% confident that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Don't be shocked to find out that there are a lot more of us out there than you think there are. I predict that attendance will decline. It won't be as drastic a decline as the merchandise sales, but there will more than likely be somewhat of a decline. A lot of angry Sioux fans are going to boycott the new UND teams as a form of protest.

Obviously we can add sales to the things you know very little about. They weren't begging for you business. It is standard operating procedure to send out 1 or more notices after the deadline to see if someone just forgot, didn't get the notices, might have changed their mind, etc. That is part of sales, keep asking for the sale.

The number of people that will give up their tickets isn't going to be nearly as large as you think. More than 67% in the state agreed to retire the name. A significant portion of the rest will still buy tickets and go to games. You probably aren't the only one, but you are part of a very small minority.

I have had season tickets for hockey for 37 years and for FB for 38 years. About 75% of the time I forget to send in my renewal on time and every year I get a reminder. Happens every year. Dave, this is another example of how you are taking an issue and trying to mislead people into believing something that isn't true. There is nothing desparate about these notices. UND hockey will have an adjustment to make moving into the new league. If the Gophers and Badgers aren't on the schedule, it will have a bigger effect on attendance than the name and logo. There are very few people who would pay to watch college sports based on the uniforms, logos, or jerseys. You may be one of a kind David. You are angry at the wrong people. Take this up with the other over 400 members of the NCAA who voted the policy into place or our Native American tribes who had the opportunity to allow us to keep the name but neglected to act. That is their choice not yours or mine. I appreciate your entertainment value but weren't you going to go away from this blog as well as UND athletics if the name was voted down. What may be accurate is that beer sales at hockey games may drop drasticaaly if you don't renew your tickets!
  • Upvote 1

As a ticket buyer, I was UND's customer. As a customer, I expect a certain standard in regards to the product that I am spending my hard earned money on. If and when I reach a point in time where I find myself dissatisfied with the product I will no longer spend my hard earned money on that product. I will take that money and spend it elsewhere on something that I enjoy rather than continue to spend it on something that has made me angry. They took my team away from me, it's as simple as that. I am 99.9% confident that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Don't be shocked to find out that there are a lot more of us out there than you think there are. I predict that attendance will decline. It won't be as drastic a decline as the merchandise sales, but there will more than likely be somewhat of a decline. A lot of angry Sioux fans are going to boycott the new UND teams as a form of protest.

Wow! What a great mind... :whistling::silly::crazy:

That's your opinion. In my opinion, if cheering for the city/state/school is more important than cheering for the team name then maybe you're not really a true fan.

You can't believe half of the crap that comes out of your mind and lands on the message board in the form of printed words. No one can be this silly, you would have had to had a serious head trama.

As a ticket buyer, I was UND's customer. As a customer, I expect a certain standard in regards to the product that I am spending my hard earned money on. If and when I reach a point in time where I find myself dissatisfied with the product I will no longer spend my hard earned money on that product. I will take that money and spend it elsewhere on something that I enjoy rather than continue to spend it on something that has made me angry.

Jerseys are the wrapping on the product that I spend my money on. The jerseys/nicknames/logos don't perform or compete on the court/field/rink, the players wearing them do. If your think articles of clothing are the product, you should probably start frequenting fashion shows instead of sporting events.

• Upvote 1